Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Fate of the Tarheels - all return

The deadline to withdraw from the draft is Monday, right? Anyone know if any of them have pulled their names out yet?

No, they're all still in, although most expect at least Green to return. Deadline is 5 PM tomorrow.

tick, tick, tick...

Unfortunately, I am hearing all 3 will be back. Worst case scenario.

Yeah, I think all three are returning, that'll make for one tough team to beat.

No problem ... that's what it's all about ... by January, our Boys should be ready to take 'em on. They'll no doubt be ranked ahead of US, so they will be ready to be knocked off in prime time. GO DUKE !

Quote Originally Posted by DevilDan View Post
    No problem ... that's what it's all about ... by January, our Boys should be ready to take 'em on. They'll no doubt be ranked ahead of US, so they will be ready to be knocked off in prime time. GO DUKE !
    I disagree. I don't care how good the Tarheels are, I just want to win. I'd be happier if they were fielding a team of JV players. If all three return to UNC, that's a very bad thing in my opinion.

That will be one very talented and deep team. So talented and deep that maybe the chemistry problems annually predicted by wishful thinking Duke fans will finally come true. It's certianly going to tax Williams' ability to keep everyone happy with minutes while maintaining a cohesive unit on the floor. He is better than average at that, but I have to wonder if even Old Roy is that good.

Quote Originally Posted by sandinmyshoes View Post
    That will be one very talented and deep team. So talented and deep that maybe the chemistry problems annually predicted by wishful thinking Duke fans will finally come true. It's certianly going to tax Williams' ability to keep everyone happy with minutes while maintaining a cohesive unit on the floor. He is better than average at that, but I have to wonder if even Old Roy is that good.
    I agree. Reminds me of the '93-94 season for the Heels: coming off a national championship, they added talented freshmen Wallace, Stackhouse, and McInnis, and were widely proclaimed #1 pre-season. The team never did fit together well and under-achieved.

We'll see if the early entrants do pull out of the draft (as some reports are indicating); in that case, the Heels will almost certainly be pre-season #1, but will have a difficult task fitting the pieces together.

I've also been hearing that all three will be back and despite all that I've heard, that's what I've believed until proven otherwise.

UNC is going to be very good next year but there's no doubt in my mind Duke is still going to give them a run for their money. One could reasonably argue that Duke should've swept UNC this year and I see no reason why we can't beat them next season. Regardless of who does or doesn't come back, these 2 teams are going to be damn good.

I agree that both teams are going to be good. But saying that Duke should've swept UNC last year is a stretch in my opinion. It could also be reasonably argued that UNC should have swept Duke last year. We caught them without Lawson one game, and with Lawson coming back off injury the other game. And without Frasor either game.

All that said, I think the games this year could be like the titantic struggles back when Coach K was coming into his own, and Smith was still at the helm down the road.

Im reading reports that all three will be back.

No shock here, Danny Green will be back for UNC next year.
    http://www.850thebuzz.com/blog/?p=4613

I hope that Lawson goes pro. I know most reports are saying he will be back, but there's still some hope.

N&O

The News and Observer says that UNC is about to put out a press release, and that there won't be a press conference:

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/1109909.html

Yup, Oh well. Im not too surprised after seeing so many reports that expected them to return.

Good for them.

I assume I am in the minority, when I say, I am glad they are all coming back. If an opponent needs to be weakened for us to beat them then I would rather lose. No excuses, for us or them, only 5 guys on the floor for each team at once. I hope they never lose another player early and continue to do well in recruiting. To want UNC to lose players to the draft is weak in my opinion.

Bring it, we will still come out on top!

Quote Originally Posted by sandinmyshoes View Post
    I agree that both teams are going to be good. But saying that Duke should've swept UNC last year is a stretch in my opinion. It could also be reasonably argued that UNC should have swept Duke last year. We caught them without Lawson one game, and with Lawson coming back off injury the other game. And without Frasor either game.

All that said, I think the games this year could be like the titantic struggles back when Coach K was coming into his own, and Smith was still at the helm down the road.
    When I say you can argue Duke should've swept UNC, that's not me saying that we were the better team. I'm just saying, we went into Chapel Hill and beat them relatively handily (regardless of who was playing), and in the 2nd game we fought all the way back to finally grab the lead and then gave it right back. When Duke is winning in Cameron with less than 5 minutes left, they usually win the game.

Looking at it with no biases, one could say Duke was very close to sweeping UNC (again, regardless of who missed what games). Even when UNC was at full strength in Cameron, that's a game you can easily argue that Duke should've won. And that night was one of Duke's poorer performances of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Classof06 View Post
    When I say you can argue Duke should've swept UNC, that's not me saying that we were the better team. I'm just saying, we went into Chapel Hill and beat them relatively handily (regardless of who was playing), and in the 2nd game we fought all the way back to finally grab the lead and then gave it right back. When Duke is winning in Cameron with less than 5 minutes left, they usually win the game.

Looking at it with no biases, one could say Duke was very close to sweeping UNC (again, regardless of who missed what games). Even when UNC was at full strength in Cameron, that's a game you can easily argue that Duke should've won. And that night was one of Duke's poorer performances of the season.
    I don't want to get into a long defense of UNC, but you're still overlooking the fact that they were reduced to their third string point guard when we beat them in Chapel Hill. And while we were in control most of the game, it was not a rout. In Cameron, we had to struggle to get back into the game and they were still without their second string point guard, and their starter had only recently returned after a three week absence.

You also fall into the trap that too many fans fall into. When our team loses, it's because we didn't play well, as you suggest in our loss in Cameron. But no doubt UNC fans would claim that they didn't play well in the Dead Dome.

In both cases, the other team deserves some credit.

All three 'Holes to return

Story on foxsports.com

To all my heels fans out there, congrats on your 2009 Nat Champ, anything less is unacceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by CLT Devil View Post
    Story on foxsports.com

To all my heels fans out there, congrats on your 2009 Nat Champ, anything less is unacceptable.
    I can think of several more talented teams that never cut down the nets, so I for one, amd definitely not ready to annoint anyone.

I think anything less was unacceptable last year as well.