Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

U18 Basketball Tryouts - Boynton, Plumlee

Tryouts for the U18 USA Basketball team will be held July 1-3 at the Verizon Center. The team will take part in the Under 18 Championship in Argentina in the middle of July. The players include Boynton and Mason Plumlee along with four UNC recruits.

http://www.usabasketball.com/news.ph..._mu18_invitees

gw67

Are the tryouts open to the public?

Quote Originally Posted by Ignatius07 View Post
    Are the tryouts open to the public?
    Yeah, I'd like to go if possible.

Update: No tickets or schedule on the Verizon Center's website.
    Last edited by beltwayBD; 06-13-2008 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Checked V. Center.

Here I was thinkin' maybe Ignatius07 wanted to try out.

Glad to see that Mason and Kenny Boynton are involved in this; I think both have an excellent chance of making the team. This experience can only help their development, and also give them a good assessment of how they stand against some of the best talent in their age group (nationally and internationally).

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Glad to see that Mason and Kenny Boynton are involved in this; I think both have an excellent chance of making the team. This experience can only help their development, and also give them a good assessment of how they stand against some of the best talent in their age group (nationally and internationally).
    Did I miss something ? Has Boynton committed to Duke ?

Quote Originally Posted by NYC Duke Fan View Post
    Did I miss something ? Has Boynton committed to Duke ?
    No, sorry, didn't mean to imply that. Just keeping up with Kenny's progress, since he is so often mentioned as a key Duke target.

tidbit on Mason and others. scroll down

Quote Originally Posted by gw67 View Post
    Tryouts for the U18 USA Basketball team will be held July 1-3 at the Verizon Center. The team will take part in the Under 18 Championship in Argentina in the middle of July. The players include Boynton and Mason Plumlee along with four UNC recruits.

http://www.usabasketball.com/news.ph..._mu18_invitees

gw67

http://ncpreps.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=823657

Kenny Boynton is not mentioned in the article. Is he there?
    Bob Green

Hello Kenny B.

Hi, Kenny.

I can't imagine that you don't frequent the DBR website. That being said, if you are considering any other university than Duke, your parents should smack you on your head.

Can't wait to welcome you to Durham, to Coach K, and to.... alas the Cameron Crazies. Look forward to your arrival. Love, dukemomLA

Adam Zagoria

Adam Zagoria is in D.C. and has a report posted on his blog. When discussing possible cuts, he says Mason Plumlee is probably safe, "...because you gotta have a Duke guy."
    Bob Green

Zagoria can say what he wants, but every report I've read mentions Plumlee as the best inside defender and presence. He blocked 5 shots in the second session and is using his length to really bother people. From the information on Rivals.com, I find it hard to believe he wouldn't be making the team on his own merits.

I've also read positive reports about Plumlee in the U18 trials. In addition to shot-blocking, there are mentions of good rebounding, including on the offensive board. Rebounding and defense were not the first areas I thought were strengths for Mason, so that is very good to hear.

His versatility and length could be key attributes for his game and for future Blue Devil squads.

The team has been cut to 14:

http://www.usabasketball.com/news.ph...mu18_finalists

I'm suprised Kenny Hall was cut as reports I read raved about his inside offense. Reeves Nelson is hurt so that cut is obvious. Hollis Thompson and Ari Stewart were the other two let go.

Two of the remaining 14 players must be let go.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    They should totally cut one of the Wear twins, just to keep the other on his toes.

Kidding. Good to see Bob McKillop get some recognition at the USA Basketball entry level. No reason why he can't get a comparatively high-profile assistant position for a future Olympic coach in 2012 or 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    The team has been cut to 14:

http://www.usabasketball.com/news.ph...mu18_finalists

I'm suprised Kenny Hall was cut as reports I read raved about his inside offense. Reeves Nelson is hurt so that cut is obvious. Hollis Thompson and Ari Stewart were the other two let go.

So did Boynton not end up trying out or did he get cut earlier and I missed it?

Boynton pulled out late due to a knee injury i believe.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    Seth Davis agrees.

• Three other players who were invited to the trials canceled at the last minute due to injuries: Kenny Boynton, a 6-foot-2 guard from Florida; Dexter Strickland, a 6-foot-3 guard from New Jersey who has verballed to North Carolina; and Drew Gordon, a 6-foot-9 forward who will be a freshman at UCLA next season.