Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: U.S. Open

Tiger not doing so hot, granted only completed one hole but a double bogey...

Tiger just sank...

the putt of the round.

And now...

Quote Originally Posted by 2535Miles View Post
    the putt of the round.
    He just hit the chip of the round.

He just hit the chip of the round.
    His reaction after that chip - hey, I'm a heterosexual man all the way but that was just precious. I wanted to kiss him. Unbelievable.

-EarlJam

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    His reaction after that chip - hey, I'm a heterosexual man all the way but that was just precious. I wanted to kiss him. Unbelievable.
    And the approach on 18? And the putt? With the knee? <sniff sniff>

Incredible stuff today. Continues to amaze.

Wow! That was unbelievable what Tiger did on the last 6 holes. With the way he playing early today, I figured it would be like the Masters where Tiger was close enough to win but never put pressure on the leader. Now he is the leader and the rest of the field has to be demoralized.

Talking Tiger

In the poll thread, I said Tiger would win and so many of you thought I was crazy. Reading the early posts in this thread, you still had no faith.

Now that Tiger has the lead going into Sunday, I think I'm looking pretty good with my prediction, don't I!

Tiger is the best putter in the history of the world. When he is on, he is unbeatable. When he's off, he still wins most of the time. Simply an amazing talent.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Wow, just wow. And the sportscasters were saying something to the effect of Woods being 54-3 for tournaments when he has the lead going into the last day.

I hope his knee holds up; straight to an ice bath with him!

(But Snedeker still had the best round of the day. Go Dores.)

Thumbs up Wow!

I think my heart has calmed down a little. Just wow! Even my wife was into this round of golf today.

NBC is getting prime time action on this tomorrow night. They win!

The knee issue is scary. When asked by NBC afterwards if his knee is getting worse, he simply said it was, smiled, and that was that.

I hope he can survive the next round. How many weeks off until the British Open?

Cheers,
    Lavabe

I got home in time to watch the entire back 9 of the last several pairings - good timing for me. 13, 16 and 18 of Tiger were fun and memorable moments.

Talking Not make the cut??!!??

Hey, poster. Were you kidding??? Not making the cut? GO TIGER! And Rocco -- love him also. Glad to see Phil M. implode...can't help it, just don't like the guy. Sorry to see Jesper out of the hunt.

Let's see if Tiger can work through his injury/pain tomorrow. (Sunday)

Had a GREAT time today at Torrey Pines -- just had to see Tiger in person. (And I agree that the crowds of 50,000 were outrageous). It's soooo much better to watch on TV, but Tiger in person is amazing! All of us should experience it just once.

And the approach on 18? And the putt? With the knee? <sniff sniff>
    Kinda reminds you of Ty Lawson and the ankle.

My field bet is looking even more precarious...

Tiger is showing once again that no one is better than him at maximizing his highs (13 & 18 yesterday) and minimizing his lows (17, and much of the rest of the tournament). The latter of these is really coming out this weekend because, as has been noted here, his knee is not doing well. It's amazing that, despite playing so poorly, Woods is -3 at the US Open. Perhaps even more amazing is that he's only -3 given what he did yesterday coupled with a back 9 (front 9) 30 on Friday. We're seeing Tiger Woods play poorly and just will in eagle putts to keep him in the hunt. Fun stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by dukemomLA View Post
    Hey, poster. Were you kidding??? Not making the cut? GO TIGER! And Rocco -- love him also. Glad to see Phil M. implode...can't help it, just don't like the guy. Sorry to see Jesper out of the hunt.

Let's see if Tiger can work through his injury/pain tomorrow. (Sunday)

Had a GREAT time today at Torrey Pines -- just had to see Tiger in person. (And I agree that the crowds of 50,000 were outrageous). It's soooo much better to watch on TV, but Tiger in person is amazing! All of us should experience it just once.
    So I take it you ignored all of the advice and followed Tiger?

Quote Originally Posted by dukemomLA View Post
    I had the opportunity to see Tiger play many times at the Buick Open (the one in Grand Blanc, Michigan; I also saw him at the new tournament that took place in Bethesda, MD last summer). One of my favorite times was when my dad played in the pro-am one year (he works for GM), and he got to play with Jay Haas. That weekend, when my dad and I went up to the tournament, we followed Haas (really good guy, and after that pro-am became one of my favorite golfers) all around the course, then were able to get a seat in the front row of the 18th green grandstands. Then, we sat and watched everyone come in. Absolutely fantastic view of the 18th hole, and when Tiger finally came around, the stands were full, but we could see everything. I mean, we were no more than 15 feet from him as he sank his putt to end the round.

I agree, it's better to see the tournament from home since you get to see all the shots. But, there's nothing like viewing a Tiger fist pump from 15 feet away and 70,000 fans going nuts!
    Last edited by blazindw; 06-15-2008 at 07:21 PM. Reason: edited city of MD tournament
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    The knee issue is scary. When asked by NBC afterwards if his knee is getting worse, he simply said it was, smiled, and that was that.
    I don't know who the interviewer was, but I thought he did a good job of bringing up the knee issue - "I know you haven't wanted to talk about it, but you know I have to ask..."

He did an even better job ending it after Tiger responded to his question, "Is it getting worse as the tournament progresses? Yes, it is." After just the tiniest pause, the guy just said, "Well, thank you very much, and back to the studios."

Just a really funny/frank moment.

The knee is obviously bothering him, but he's really hurting himself with the driver. Johnny Miller is right--the was NO reason for him to hit driver on two.

I've often though Tiger's ego gets in his way. Or something. As great as he is, he'd have even more major wins if he just decided "I'm going to get it in the damn fairway," instead of spraying it all over the map with a driver. His iron play is better than everyone else's, so it's not like hitting a club or two extra on his second would hurt him.

It's odd to me that Mickleson has always gotten a ton of criticism for over-aggression and Tiger doesn't, when they do the same basic things in that department.

He'll still probably win today, but he needs to throw his driver in the ocean. They say the course is playing 400 yards shorter than the listed distance anyway today.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

I hear what you are saying, but to suggest he play differently doesn't make sense to me. His thought process, while perhaps flawed with regards to the driver, has gotten him 13 majors. If he doesn't use his driver on 2, then he shouldn't be doing XX in some other situation. Sometimes its painful to watch sports because you know if the person decided something different, they might get a different outcome. But then, they also may not have gotten there in the first place.