Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: U.S. Open

U.S. Open

Heading down to Torrey Pines for a day (Sat.) at the U.S. Open. Any thoughts from DBR posters. And...what do you think about the pairing of Tiger and Phil M? (...gonna cause a logjam, don't ya think?)

GO TIGER!

I followed Tiger around at Pinehurst in '99. Too crowded so I ended up trailing a guy with the last name of Stewart.

I'd put my money on a field bet...

I've gone to two Presidents Cups and one tourney at Congressional with Tiger entered and the crowds that follow him are enormous. If you want to see him play, my suggestion is to pick a hole where you have a good view and stay there all day. If you want to walk the grounds, I would pick out a non-Tger pairing that appears interesting and follow them.

I like the idea of pairing the best players for the first two days. By Saturday, the players will be paired based on how they scored during the first two rounds.

gw67

Quote Originally Posted by dukemomLA View Post
    Heading down to Torrey Pines for a day (Sat.) at the U.S. Open. Any thoughts from DBR posters. And...what do you think about the pairing of Tiger and Phil M? (...gonna cause a logjam, don't ya think?)

GO TIGER!
    I'd avoid Tiger and the last couple groups in front of him. Not only does he have a huge crowd with him at every hole, people are always running ahead to the next hole to try and get a good spot.

Wink Another Ymo bet

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I followed Tiger around at Pinehurst in '99. Too crowded so I ended up trailing a guy with the last name of Stewart.

I'd put my money on a field bet...
    Two words for you Ymo:

Big Brown

Don't bet on this one.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Quote Originally Posted by dukemomLA View Post

GO TIGER!
    Don't look over the cliffs...there's nude people on the beach below!

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Two words for you Ymo:

Big Brown

Don't bet on this one.

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    Such is the lot of the inveterate gambler. I'm rather quiet in person, but I guess I always have an opinion.

I wonder what place Tiger will finish in his own pairing tomorrow. Phil and Adam Scott have both been playing very well over the last few weeks.

At last year's Open I started calling the swarm that followed Tiger the Army of Ignorance. It caught on.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    At last year's Open I started calling the swarm that followed Tiger the Army of Ignorance. It caught on.
    Where did it "catch on?"

Quote Originally Posted by ugadevil View Post
    I'd avoid Tiger and the last couple groups in front of him. Not only does he have a huge crowd with him at every hole, people are always running ahead to the next hole to try and get a good spot.
    There's a decent chance that since she's going on Saturday she won't even have the chance to watch Tiger. He may not make it to the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Clipsfan View Post
    There's a decent chance that since she's going on Saturday she won't even have the chance to watch Tiger. He may not make it to the weekend.
    I'm not a betting man, but surely you can get some great odds betting that Tiger won't make the cut. Anything IS possible, I guess.

Tiger double bogeyed #1, yikes!

Since then he has 2 birdies so he is at even thru 8, not bad.

Dukie Joe Ogilvy, who has been playing pretty well lately, is also at even so far on his round. Steve Stricker is 4-under thru 9, which is just sick at a US Open. It will not last, I predict, because those kind of scores never last at the US Open. Looks like the course may be playing a tad easier than other Opens though. It will almost certainly take a score several strokes under par to win the tournament this year.

It will be interesting to see how Tiger holds up late in the round as he has not even walked 18 holds in months.

--Jason "which is more likely, Tiger finishing 30th or worse or Tiger winning after this crazy layoff?" Evans

And Steve Stricker promptly double-bogeys his 10th hole, pushing him back to 2-under.

"Ahhh, that's more like it," said the US Open.

-JE

Well, my field bet is looking a little shaky with Tiger one stroke behind Stuart Appleby.

How do folks feel about the really late time the Open is happening on the East Coast because it is being played in San Diego? We are gonna have Tiger out on the course and in prime time until 9:30 or 10pm tonight and until 9pm tomorrow night. I think it is kinda cool and won't be at all surprised if the rations are strong.

--Jason "was it this late when it was last on the West coast?" Evans

Wow, Vandy grad Brandt Snedeker had a great round today -- moved up to +4, by shooting a 68. I know there's still a lot of players on the course, but he's the lowest into the clubhouse so far, by 2 strokes.

It does make it easier for me to see it...and doesn't conflict with some other sports.

Wow, Phil Mickelson just pulled a Tin Cup-like moment at hole 13. Is he imploding??

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    Wow, Phil Mickelson just pulled a Tin Cup-like moment at hole 13. Is he imploding??
    Brain Dead!