Thread: draft question

draft question

Let me make sure I understand:

If a player doesn't withdraw by the 16th then they are gone? Is that right.

What time on the 16th?

Quote Originally Posted by gofurman View Post
    Let me make sure I understand:

If a player doesn't withdraw by the 16th then they are gone? Is that right.

What time on the 16th?
    If they go undrafted and do not sign with an agent, they can return to school.

Correct, mostly.

According to NBA's collective bargaining aggrement, "(c) An Early Entry player who is eligible to be selected in the next NBA Draft pursuant to Section 1(b)(ii)(F) or (b)(ii)(G)(3) above shall be entitled to withdraw from such Draft by providing written notice that is received by the NBA ten (10) days prior to such Draft. A player shall not be entitled to withdraw from more than two (2) NBA Drafts."

http://www.nbpa.com/cba_articles/article-X.php

The NCAA doesn't allow players to withdraw from more than one draft and retain eligibility, but the CBA does. I don't know if there is an exact time that they need to receive the notice by, but it's got to be at least 10 days before the draft (June 16). So, if a player doesn't withdraw by June 16, they are eligible to be drafted and thus lose college eligibility if drafted. However, it is possible (e.g. Randolph Morris), that a player could keep his name in the draft, not hire an agent, go undrafted, and then retain college eligibility. This player cannot re-enter the draft the next year, however, because that is against the collective bargaining agreement. They can be signed as a free agent, though, at any time (even in the middle of the college season) if a team so desires. Morris signed a two-year contract with the Knicks just after his sophomore season at Kentucky.

Edit: Kdogg beat me to it.