Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Unhappy Duke Hatred Tsunami 2008 edition

I need therapy ! Just like you I have rationalized and /or ignored the duke hate campaign but I 've reached the limit and I reluctantly admit ,it's having a noticeable effect. After the VCU loss on Thurs night , USA TODAY on Mon runs a story about the cumulatve newsworthiness of Coach K's loss,Mike Bray'
    s loss and Amaker's firing.Why would anyone relish in Amaker's firing ?

On the same page USA prints the results off it's blog asking people why they hate Duke ? e.g. In a game between Duke and al Quida I would always root for Al Quida.

Finally, the tears of the the Duke Cheerleader in Buffalo got to me ..."Why do they hate us so much ? "

I see Coach K on Costas and he seems to shrug .. sort of "what can I do about it ? " He's probably right , but I heard the amount of hate stuff after the Henderson foul got to him . Anyway I think it can influence recruits and their families . JJ was the neatest kid and I loved what he did for Duke, but his family was terrorized ---sister ,parents and his younger brother.

And on and on it goes (Laettner booed unmercifully when he's inducted into ACC legends in FLA. ---he had the greatest NCAA career in history !!! )

I my masochistic moment , I want to put a thread on DBR where the duke Haters can post their reaons so I can Catlog them in one place or maybe a place for the Duke Haters to suggest ways for their hared to be abated ...fire Coach K ...Lose more games ... Not serious ---I'm just so frustrated . I've Vented . Thanks

Take A Deep Breath....

It's ok, I too feel your frustration and I think it just stems from Duke being successful. With success comes hate. I don't like the Yankees....WHY? Because they are so darn good year in and year out. I don't like Hansbrough....WHY? I really can't come up with another reason other than he plays for UNC and he is good. Do I really care that deeply about Quentin Thomas? No, bc he is not good. I like to think the hate is a compliment, although I know at times it can go too far. I saw a shirt in Cameron one time and I have quoted it ever since.

"Few love us, Many hate us, But ALL respect us."

The hatred has often led me to question whether or not this overwhelming national sentiment hurts Duke's recruiting.

While I think we're certianly within reason to question this, I don't think Duke's national hatred level will affect recruiting too badly as long as Duke remains prominently featured on TV. Recruits want to get to the NBA. Duke has a solid record of that, as we're likely to find out again here soon with Josh. And Duke "NBA flops" is now basically an urban legend with guys like Boozer, Brand, Battier, Duhon, etc making very solid contributions in the NBA. It's rare that you look at an NBA box score and not see at least one Blue Devil on one of the two rosters.

Some kids may not want to play the villain, but there will also be enough kids who want to play for Duke for other reasons, chief among them being exposure.

dukemsu

Quote Originally Posted by CMS2478 View Post
    With success comes hate.
    I agree, but I suspect it's for more reasons than for you.

Success brings jealousy and hate. True enough. But it's more than that.

When I was a Duke student, Fat Dean and Carolina were the most obvious object of the love 'em/hate 'em scenario. Dean was a great coach and a fine man (think desegregation in Chapel Hill) who didn't cheat, developed excellent teams and graduated his players. The Duke story today is more national in scope, but I think that's a function of 24/7 sports coverage, ESPN's omnipresence, sportstalk radio as well as the internet and sites like this one.

In part, we hated Carolina because they were (and are) the rival. We were also jealous of their success. But what really set us off was what we saw as Dean's arrogant condescension and the arrogant condescension of Carolina's fans. While in retrospect I regard Dean much more highly than I did at the time, Carolina fan behavior was a real issue.

I think that's at play with Duke today as well. Reading these boards over the past week makes it easy to argue that we Duke fans have a pretty significant sense of entitlement leading to some arrogance...

Keep Cool

Most people (not rabid sports nuts like us) don't hate us. In fact, they respect us and wish their team/University were as successful as ours. Just ask some ordinary people in the street.

Envy is a green-eyed monster and frequently is manifested in "hate," sad to say. (Especially in sports.) But them's the facts.

We win, we've been very successful, etc.... It's not surprising that there are some who hate us. Gee, I don't like the Yankees...they are too good and win so much!!!! We've become kinda like them...at least in basketball!!

What it really boils down to is that fans of other schools want to win sometime!!! And that's understandable!!!

So be cool and be proud...and by all means, PULL FOR DUKE!!!!

Addendum: Actually, I think success helps recruiting. Look at our record.

And another thing...

This board reflects the "class" that is Duke.

Go Duke!!!!

----------------
    Never prouder to be a Dukie!!!!

Duke hatred

I'd argue that hatred for average guy on the street is huge towards Duke, especially among college students. Between my middle and high school friends, I can think of no more than half a dozen that root for Duke and at least two dozen that hate Duke with an almost irrational passion.

It has started to seap the joy out of cheering for Duke for me personally. It's especially painful to hear the 'Duke gets all the calls' argument when I think of Boozer in 02 and Redick in 04.

Its pretty trying at times to be a fan/apologist of Duke but now it pretty much goes with the territory. What RPS mentioned is certainly true, in the 80's and early 90's, Dean Smith's Tarheels were easily the most hated team in the ACC area (though this was countered by having one of the largest fan bases as well). I was one of only 3 or 4 Duke fans at my high school but we banded together with the state fans, the few UVA and UMD fans, even a Kentucky and Indiana fan who grew to resent the rite of passage mentality among UNC fans. It was all in good fun, but there was a lot of joy among us estranged whenever UNC dropped a game.

Now things have changed. K is the "elder statesman" of the ACC, he has more titles than Dean, the "dukies suck in the NBA" mantra is all but invalid over the past few years as Dukes latest pro offerings have been more successful than UNCs since 99. Coupled with insane national exposure Duke receives and the adulation Coach K received up to 2001, the backlash was inevitable. No team is more scrutinized for the various on the court goings on despite that other teams are just as guilty as Duke ("flops", questionable calls, working the refs). While I can certainly understand some of the backlash, I can't really condone the sports media sensationalism as they have been way too eager to capitalize on the Duke resentment. I understand that some of the sports writers don't care for Coach K, he can be acerbic and curmudgeony at times and its somewhat contrary to the face he puts on for commercials and formal press interviews. Still, these people have checked reality at the door to pursue some personal grudge. Maybe they fancy themselves as the Edward R Murrow of sports writing hoping to expose Coach K as the Joseph McCarthy of college hoops. Whatever, but its pretty obvious they have an agenda which they feel gives them free license to condemn the team to failure. Duke equals Rutgers now? O rly?

Irrational thinking...

Quote Originally Posted by VaDukie View Post
    I'd argue that hatred for average guy on the street is huge towards Duke, especially among college students. Between my middle and high school friends, I can think of no more than half a dozen that root for Duke and at least two dozen that hate Duke with an almost irrational passion.

It has started to seap the joy out of cheering for Duke for me personally. It's especially painful to hear the 'Duke gets all the calls' argument when I think of Boozer in 02 and Redick in 04.
    is always hard to deal with...no matter what the issue... I can sympathize with you. On the number of Duke fans....it's not the number, it's the quality that counts.

Keep the faith...
    Go Duke!!!!

Personally, I think it makes us all stronger

I have two teenage boys who hear it all the time at school. They have a few fellow Duke supporters but most are Carolina fans and other ACC schools.
    I tell them it helps keep one's intellect strong to be subject to such negative thoughts and comments. Like any issue in which one believes strongly; it helps for your beliefs to be tested. We become more sure of ourselves and beliefs in the process or we change. It's ok to change on issues, although I doubt there are few of us who will when it comes to Duke. Pretty much a sure bet.

Let them hate us more!!!!!!!!!!! It doesn't bother me in the least and I tell them that. In fact I tell them their opinion means nothing to me and it really doesn't.

Can't wait to see the Coach K commercials next week and I hope he's in the CBS studio as well. That will really get the Heels complaining.

I wish I could say it doesn't bother me. You guys are stronger than I am. I hate spending my sports&entertainment life, which is supposed to be fun, constantly on the defensive.

In addition to winning, IMHO the problem is equally the squeaky clean image of Duke -- no one stealing computers (and being let off by the coach!), no NCAA probation or penalties, etc. That, of course, is also why everybody, including many of the faculty, jumped on the Lacrosse team -- we'll fix them!
    So, now that we had a bad season (in Duke terms - many D1 coaches dream of such a good season) we need to compound it by having one or two players admit to point shaving, or being serial rapists, or, possibly even DaniLynn's father! Then the press will love us, because we are fallible.

dukemsu et. al.,

the observations made on 'duke hatred' go back to so many things and I'll simply echo the sentiments of others:

people hate Duke basically b/c they are jealous of what we've accomplished.

so really, one can negate the word 'hate' and insert the word 'jealous'.

when i've spoken to many people over the last many, many years who've told me 'man, i really hate duke', i've always asked them 'why's that?' they look at me, or they write me back on email, and they say 'well, they're just so good, they win all the time, they get any recruit they want, they don't make any mistakes, they own espn, they own the refs, they get all the calls, they own many of the buildings in which they play their away games, and they do this consistently, and with much more class than any other team in the game over the last 20 years, bar none.'

((I have heard EACH AND EVERY ONE OF the responses I just typed to you; many of you who will read this thread have heard them, and many other reasons, as well)).

so then I simply ask that person, 'well, essentially, you're jealous of Duke's accomplishments, right?' and they agree and it's settled right then and there.

so, it takes the vitriol out of the argument and puts the issue where it belongs: they haven't accomplished what Duke has accomplished and what they THINK is 'hatred' is actually flat-out JEALOUSY.

that closes the argument right there.

my shekel, dth.

Smiling works....

Quote Originally Posted by mapei View Post
    I wish I could say it doesn't bother me. You guys are stronger than I am. I hate spending my sports&entertainment life, which is supposed to be fun, constantly on the defensive.
    You can do it! The key is to listen to their rantings and ravings and just smile. Just don't let them know that something they said might be getting to you. That will drive them crazy!!

Smiling works! I used to play a guy in tennis who beat me routinely. He never said anything...just smiled whether he made a great shot or a bad shot. It drove me nuts! I became even worse at the game. Eventually I realized that that was his super weapon. (But not until many years later when I had long since quit the game out of frustration. I wonder if Jupe is still smiling? I suspect so.)

Go Duke!!!

I've said it before: Welcome to the world of a Miami Hurricane football fan. Even the recent season has similarities. It hasn't been a great sports year for me.

You can replace Duke basketball fan with Yankee fan, Lakers fan, Bulls fan, Maple Leafs fan, Brazilian soccer fan, etc. At one time, everyone wanted that team to lose and rejoiced when that team did. It just makes you that much more appreciative when your team does well or really well.

Casual fans typically don't love or hate Duke. The ones that cheer for us do so because they are casual basketball fans and appreciate that Duke does things 'right.'

The vast majority of hardcore b-ball fans either love or hate Duke. Why? If you ask them, it usually comes down to 1 thing... arrogance. With a history of success, it is easy to root against Duke. So many people do. For that reason, whenever they lose, people "rag on" known Duke fans... often to excess. Me, I always try to take it in stride. Further, knowing how that feels, I don't rub it in when their team loses, and especially when Duke beats them. I don't like getting ragged on, so I don't want to do it to others. A lot of my friends who are Duke fans are similar. The problem is that doing so (not being a jerk) feeds the 'arrogance' claim in peoples minds. Acting like winning is no big deal actually gets on peoples' nerves. The problem, obviously is you are put in a no-win situation. You are either a jerk or arrogant.

Not having players get into major trouble also feeds this. Because Duke rarely gets bad press, when they do, people always point and laugh and say "see you have problems too... so stop being so arrogant." The problem, of course, is that most of us AREN'T arrogant. It is just the public opinion, which has been fed so often by the media, that makes it look that way.

Who knows, maybe the best way to stop the "Duke is arrogant" stuff is for you all to really rub it in the first few games Duke wins next year. Next year, whenever Duke wins a game, let ALL of your friends know it. Even the preseason games. Let them know about it. Talk about how great each player played. Don't predict an undefeated season, but really gush! If they call you on it, say, "Hey after last year, I will enjoy any win I can." I can almost gurantee you they will laugh about that... they may even ease up on you when Duke loses and cut down on the 'arrogant' talk.

Duke hatred has always been bad, but I think it was the Henderson incident that exacerbated all of this. From what I saw, Hansbrough's nose symbolized the floodgate of Duke Hatred--it was broken and everything inside it poured out. I also don't think it's a coincidence that this hatred is simultaneous with what has been the hardest year for Duke as an institution (rape allegation was almost precisely a year ago) since it really stepped onto the national stage late last century. And with the BBall team being the most visible facet of the school to sports fans, it became the cherry on top for a school that has seen more negative press in the past year than they could imagine, not to mention our "bad" team having every game on ESPN. I've always said, Duke is on ESPN because everyone wants to see them. Some want to see them win, many want to see them lose; but all want to see. Familiarity breeds contempt and there is no program in America fans are as familiar with than Duke.

I personally think the hatred has reached ridiculously high levels, but in the end, it's all out of a mix of envy/hate/respect. I was going to wait a few years before getting my class ring, but with all this hatin, my ring finger feels a little naked. People need to see that blue stone in the middle to remind them we aren't going anywere, haha...

"Nobody hates losers" (Michael W. Krzyzewski)

Quote Originally Posted by bhd28 View Post
    Further, knowing how that feels, I don't rub it in when their team loses, and especially when Duke beats them. I don't like getting ragged on, so I don't want to do it to others. A lot of my friends who are Duke fans are similar. The problem is that doing so (not being a jerk) feeds the 'arrogance' claim in peoples minds. Acting like winning is no big deal actually gets on peoples' nerves. The problem, obviously is you are put in a no-win situation. You are either a jerk or arrogant.
    This is extremely incisive. I think you've identified the heart of the matter.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

It's not easy being King

Went to watch the second half of the VCU game at a bar on 42nd Street here in NYC with a coworker (also an alum) who cajoled me - I was perfectly happy being at work, getting paid to watch over the web. I also suspected that the game was eminently loseable.

Normally, nobody in this bar pays much attention on Thurs nights, it's usually $15 all you can drink for a few hours - it was upped to $20 for playoffs.

So most of the people were rooting HARD against Duke which is FINE - the last 10 years, it's been a mostly losing proposition for the haters.

As the lead slipped away, and Scheyer got the "Kobi" to the face and was on the floor, some a-hole sitting right under the TeeVee gave a 2-middle-finger salute to Scheyer, blocking the screen. Now, even in the context of Gerald's hard foul on HanselnGretel, that was uncalled for. I was ready to start a bar fight. Luckily he ignored me.

One of his anti-Duke buddies turned out to be a UVa grad, so at least I knew that they HAVE SUFFERED. And in the future, they WILL SUFFER AGAIN.

I was Class of 1983, and those were lean times, and sometimes, the sports-related hating gets to be a bit much (ask the lacrosse team) - like the time we came back from a Jets-Pats game (the one where Cedric Jones threw his helmet at Mark Gastineau, who deserved it), a friend (BIG Jets fan) from Boston w/Mass. plates drove us to the game, and we were in Hempstead at a club, and when we came out to the parking lot to drive home, the window was smashed. We knew why, the Jets had lost, but the a-hole who broke the window thought we were Pats fans. It was a cold ride home indeed.

I travel quite a bit and I'm always on the road in March. Nyesq83, I've stopped wearing Duke gear in sports bars. This is for two reasons, the first obvious, the second less so.

1) I don't want or need the abusive attention wearing Duke gear in sports bars often brings.

2) I've found that it's easier to get people in a random bar to turn the TV to a Duke game when you aren't wearing Duke clothes.

I watched the Duke-VCU debacle in Saint Louis in Flannery's pub, because I knew from last year on my way back from Chicago that they have the NCAAT package. (So I wasn't stuck with Ohio State v. some 16-seed). I was wearing a green shirt and a Cardinals hat. I sat in a corner where I could see a Duke-VCU TV. The bar was raucously anti-Duke except for this one table that it turned out all had Duke on their brackets and were getting royally screwed by VCU. (Or by us, I guess).

No one noticed me, no one saw me, I had no conversations about Duke, and I like it that way. Same goes when we win. I've spent one ACCT this decade at home, so sports bars figure into my March more than I would like.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine