Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

DeCourcy on Henderson

Needless to say, when I came to the DBR homepage and saw the Sporting News link, I was pleasantly surprised. If there is any player on Duke's roster I'm most excited to see next year, it's GH. I can't wait to see the freshmen, I'm very excited to see how Nolan and Kyle respond with a year of experience under their belts, and I'd also like to see if Zoubek and Thomas step up to the plate and make it happen this year. But I think this is the year us Duke fans have been waiting for with respect to Henderson.

We said this last year and he definitely didn't disappoint but I don't think anyone expected Duke to be as offensively balanced as we were (Five players averaged 10+ ppg for us). When he's on his game, he's the best (or at least most dangerous) player on our team and with Demarcus now gone, it's time for Gerald to take it to that level; the level we got glimpses of up until the wrist injury at Chapel Hill; the level we saw again in the tournament. Lost in a lot of Duke fans' disappointment with the Belmont and WVU games was the fact that Gerald was phenomenal. There were stretches in both games where he literally carried the team on his back.

If we see that Gerald next season (and I'm confident we will), I see no reason why he can't be a 1st-Team All American. Like DeCourcy said: "late last season the other Devils began to recognize -- more important, Henderson began to recognize -- he was the best they had." If he can translate the momentum he ended last season with into this season, it's going to be a special year for Henderson. And I can't wait to see it.

DeCourcy

The plug for Gerald was good to see, and right on, IMO.

Now why DeCourcy felt it necessary to introduce the comment with...

"Oh, no, here I go, writing something kind about Duke. Nobody but Duke fans seems to like when that happens. Sorry to say, Henderson has maybe the best physical tools of any returning college player: strength, length, dynamic athleticism."

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post

"Oh, no, here I go, writing something kind about Duke. Nobody but Duke fans seems to like when that happens.
    Why? Because it is true! At least he is honest about it.

As the T-shirt says:
    Duke -
    Loved by few
    Hated by many
    Respected by all
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

I too am rooting for Gerald to have a breakout year. Some described last season as that, but '07-'08 was more a "grow-up" from his freshman season. He played with more of a flair and positive dynamic. This could be the year that he puts the hammer down. I'm hoping he will eliminate those stretches where he seems to disappear from the action. If he's not scoring, I want him D'ing up, or getting a big rebound, or using his hands to swat a pass away. There are so many ways he can contribute.

Why did he make the DeCourcy article? Because GH has the ability to bust a move in almost every game that none of the other 9 players can TRY or DO. For those of you who haven't yet seen the SN article, Mr. DeCoucy lists the Top Ten reasons that he can't wait for next season to start.

The Henderson reference has drawn 6-7 comments in the first 24 hours -- the ONLY one of the 10 reasons to get any feedback up to now. Hope I have held the DUKE BANNER high by jumping in, both there and here... GO DEVILS !

Quote Originally Posted by DevilDan View Post
    I too am rooting for Gerald to have a breakout year. Some described last season as that, but '07-'08 was more a "grow-up" from his freshman season. He played with more of a flair and positive dynamic. This could be the year that he puts the hammer down. I'm hoping he will eliminate those stretches where he seems to disappear from the action. If he's not scoring, I want him D'ing up, or getting a big rebound, or using his hands to swat a pass away. There are so many ways he can contribute.
    I think last year was a break-out year for Gerald - some of that is tainted in our eyes because of his injury and his struggles to adjust to that until the tournament. Still, I agree that he is going to go bonkers next season. He and Singler are really going to dominate some teams, to say nothing of Scheyer.

I also agree that part of his improvement next year will be eliminating patches where he isn't involved in the action, though we already saw signs of improvement in this area last year. Gerald seems to have taken time to learn how to play within himself. I think he realizes he could always be the center of action - offensively and defensively - but doesn't want to be seen by his teammates as a "ball hog" or what have you. I think he realizes now (and did so sometime during the ACC season) that he can be around the ball a lot without forcing shots, that there is a happy medium.

I also think we saw dramatically improved defense from him - and this could be the most important thing. If his defense next year is what I think it will be, it could make an enormous difference (replacing Nelson and such).

Henderson improved in all aspects of his game last year except ballhandling and 3-point shooting. I expect him to play more minutes and to improve his shooting and rebounding. The one area where I expect him to excel is shotblocking. He has good timing to go along with his jumping ability and strength, and he is not shy about mixing it up near the basket. He needs to improve his ballhandling (particularly, going to the left) and his passing if he is to replace Nelson.

I think that he and Singler have a good chance to be selected for first team All ACC.

gw67

Also

Quote Originally Posted by gw67 View Post
    Henderson improved in all aspects of his game last year except ballhandling and 3-point shooting. I expect him to play more minutes and to improve his shooting and rebounding. The one area where I expect him to excel is shotblocking. He has good timing to go along with his jumping ability and strength, and he is not shy about mixing it up near the basket. He needs to improve his ballhandling (particularly, going to the left) and his passing if he is to replace Nelson.
    I'd also like to see a little more defensive improvement, to the point where Gerald is thought of as a stopper. He's definitely got the physical ability to do this.

If anyones wondering, Henderson is progressing well with his wrist. He is rehabbing in Lansdale, PA near his home in Blue Bell. It has been quite a thrill for the kids around here to see Henderson work out at the same public gym as them.

Quote Originally Posted by geraldsneighbor View Post
    If anyones wondering, Henderson is progressing well with his wrist. He is rehabbing in Lansdale, PA near his home in Blue Bell. It has been quite a thrill for the kids around here to see Henderson work out at the same public gym as them.
    Thanks for the update, geraldsneighbor. Do you, or another poster, know what his plans for the summer are? Offhand, I'm not aware of amateur international competition other than the Olympics and qualifying tournaments.

Back to Durham, or maybe play some summer league in Philadelphia area?

In one of the games last year an announcer said Gerald moved like Kobe. At first I scoffed at it, but the more I watch him and Kobe the more I notice how incredibly similar their body builds and movements are. It is eerie. Of course Kobe is one of the greatest players in the history of Basketball and Gerald is a college player, but the tools are really there... If he can just see the floor a little better and work on his body control...Oh boy... could be a fun year

Thumbs up Coast to coast!

I echo most of the comments on this post. Big fan of Gerald, and really looking forward to seeing him in top form again next season. It will be especially interesting to see what kind of synergies he develops with a new starting line up (I won't open that can here) and the freshmen. Man, did I love his "Coast to coast!!!!" moment. I believe this is it on Youtube, if you'd like to relive it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIwxwkTVBfw

Side note: I found it via a Google search of "Gerald Henderson" and "Coast to Coast".

I consider it prophetic that Gerald Henderson, and one of Duke's greatest-ever players, Grant Hill, have the same initials.
    Many here are saying that 09/10, with two Plumlees +++ will be a great year for Duke.
    I think that this upcoming year, 08/09, with one Plumlee, plus the nucleus of our team from last year minus Markie, ++, will be a wonderful year. I certainly expect that we reach the elite eight, or better. I do not believe that we will be knocked out early by the likes of VCS or WVa.
    Go Duke!

From what I understand Henderson spent last summer working out with his brother in Columbus, Ohio. I do believe he is to do that again as well as return to Durham early. I know Duke has a history of having alot of the players around in the July-August months. I read in 2001 a couple guys played full-court 1 on 1 to get in shape. Once Gerald is back at 100%, those are the workouts I believe he will take part in down in Durham...by the way, coast to coast was better in person. I don't think I have ever been so nervous in my life. It took a good hour walking around and thinking about what just happened before my heart rate summoned. I honestly don't even remember watching Arizona-WVU. Can't wait for 08-09.

Sidenote: Where G lives is only about 15 minutes from when TK has moved in to take classes at 'Nova. Wonder if G is hosting a sleep over?...doubt it.

I too am really excited about Henderson next year. He will be the most exciting (and I believe the most clutch) player on the court.

That said, I really, really, REALLY hope he does not "explode" next season. That would be tragic, gross, and a tremendous loss to Duke and everyone that loves G.

-EarlJam

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post

"Oh, no, here I go, writing something kind about Duke. Nobody but Duke fans seems to like when that happens. Sorry to say, Henderson has maybe the best physical tools of any returning college player: strength, length, dynamic athleticism."
    You'd understand why once you read the comments for any of his Duke-related posts. The anti-Duke commenters attack him frequently, and the pro-Duke contingent don't come across as the best representatives. I frequently roll my eyes when he focuses on Duke (positively or negatively) because I know the reaction is going to be ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    In one of the games last year an announcer said Gerald moved like Kobe. At first I scoffed at it, but the more I watch him and Kobe the more I notice how incredibly similar their body builds and movements are. It is eerie. Of course Kobe is one of the greatest players in the history of Basketball and Gerald is a college player, but the tools are really there... If he can just see the floor a little better and work on his body control...Oh boy... could be a fun year
    Haha, I remember when the announcer said that, too. It really hit me during the Pitt game when he made some move I can't remember then hit a jumpshot and my brother was like "Wow, that was Kobe for a second". I turned around and looked at him cuz I noticed the exact same thing.

There are definitely elements of Kobe in Gerald's game but I see a lot of D-Wade, too. The D-Wade comparison is a little more apt to me because he and Gerald are the same size and both have solid mid-range games but aren't big 3-point shooters.

Quote Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
    I consider it prophetic that Gerald Henderson, and one of Duke's greatest-ever players, Grant Hill, have the same initials.
    Many here are saying that 09/10, with two Plumlees +++ will be a great year for Duke. I think that this upcoming year, 08/09, with one Plumlee, plus the nucleus of our team from last year minus Markie, ++, will be a wonderful year. I certainly expect that we reach the elite eight, or better. I do not believe that we will be knocked out early by the likes of VCS or WVa.
    Go Duke!
    While I do believe Duke will be very good next year and capable of doing some real damage, 09-10 is the year where I'll expect a Final Four kind of season. Barring unforseen circumstances, we're gonna be stacked in '09.

We're a Final Four caliber team next season. 10 reasons.

1. Singler is by default the best sophomore in the country with the top 5 all leaving. Take into account that this freshmen class (nationally) is considered relatively weak and how much talent is leaving this year, and you've got yourself a preseason All-American.
    2. Like the article says, Henderson is going to blow up. It's a very different season if he doesn't hurt his wrist against UNC - ultimate example of a pyrrhic victory.
    3. Jon Scheyer is an amazing 3rd option. The last time we had this much talent for our 3rd guy was 2004. And yes, I think he is third in line behind these two but obviously capable of taking over any game.
    4. Paulus is a gamer. You better believe he's going to be ready for his senior season.
    5. I haven't given up on Zoubek and Thomas in the least. They don't have to dominate (although I do think each of their ceiling's is higher than most beleive) but they have to be good enough that Singler can guard guys his own size. He had nothing in the tank at the end of the year and it showed.
    6. Experience - Staring one senior, three juniors (Z/LT at 5), and a sophomore who started as a freshmen. And while Elliot is good enough to warrant significant time next season, we don't need him to. We've got experience all over.
    7. MARTY DOESN'T FOUL.
    8. Plumlee the 1st (we need to give them nicknames) and Olek give us depth in cause of injury and competition in practice. I'll be highly surprised if either crack the rotation though.
    9. Other teams are losing so much more than we are. Next season:
    The Good - Obvious
    The Bad - UNC
    The Ugly - UConn
    10. K

Quote Originally Posted by Classof06 View Post
    While I do believe Duke will be very good next year and capable of doing some real damage, 09-10 is the year where I'll expect a Final Four kind of season. Barring unforseen circumstances, we're gonna be stacked in '09.
    But don't you expect Gerald to leave after this season? And if so, does that change your mind? It does mine - but it also depends on our haul in the '09 recruiting class. If we land someone who is capable of starting and earning all-ACC honors, like Kenny Boynton, then perhaps we could expect a Final Four. At this point it's just too tough to say whether the 08/09 or 09/10 team will be better, because we don't know the fate of Singler, Henderson, McDonald, and Boynton.

Quote Originally Posted by VaDukie View Post
    7. MARTY DOESN'T FOUL.
    I don't necessarily agree, but I like your style.

8. Plumlee the 1st (we need to give them nicknames) and Olek.... I'll be highly surprised if either crack the rotation though.
    A month ago I agreed and I kinda agree now but I've got this hunch about Olek, like some others. This year the numbers are hard to argue with though with Z, LT, Singler, and McClure (let's not forget about him) all experienced frontcourt guys who can play significant and productive minutes if not as productive as we'd all like. Not to mention Miles who will give him a run for his money I'm sure...so maybe it will take a year or two, but I think he's gonna be good.

We're a Final Four caliber team next season. 10 reasons.

1. Singler is by default the best sophomore in the country with the top 5 all leaving. Take into account that this freshmen class (nationally) is considered relatively weak and how much talent is leaving this year, and you've got yourself a preseason All-American.
    2. Like the article says, Henderson is going to blow up. It's a very different season if he doesn't hurt his wrist against UNC - ultimate example of a pyrrhic victory.
    3. Jon Scheyer is an amazing 3rd option. The last time we had this much talent for our 3rd guy was 2004. And yes, I think he is third in line behind these two but obviously capable of taking over any game.
    With Scheyer, Henderson, and Singler, Duke is possibly the strongest team in the nation at the 2, 3, & 4. Additionally, Elliot Williams has the potential to make a meaningful contribution off the bench and no one knows what impact the return of Marty Pocius is going to have.

4. Paulus is a gamer. You better believe he's going to be ready for his senior season.
    The first question mark for next season's team is point guard performance. Paulus is unquestionably a great shooter, but we are going to need Nolan Smith to play major minutes at the point against teams with backcourt speed in order to stop dribble penetration. DeMarcus Nelson is no longer available to defend our opponents point guard. If Paulus and Smith combined can provide consistent play at the point, on both ends of the court, we will be a tough match-up.

5. I haven't given up on Zoubek and Thomas in the least. They don't have to dominate (although I do think each of their ceiling's is higher than most beleive) but they have to be good enough that Singler can guard guys his own size. He had nothing in the tank at the end of the year and it showed.
    The real question in regard to how good the team will be is who will provide production in the paint. Personally, I believe Brian Zoubek will show significant improvement if he can get/stay healthy. However, Lance Thomas, Dave McClure, Olek Czyz and Miles Plumlee are all going to be battling Zoubek/each other in practice to earn playing time. Post production by committee is a real possibility.

I'm of the opinion that 2008-2009 is going to be an exciting ride and I intend to sitback and enjoy it!
    Bob Green