Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Opie Season Starts this week on D.C.!

Anyone else a Deadliest Catch addict? Opie season starts this week -- serious weather and ice conditions. If you've never seen the show, this episode may be a good place to jump on board (Tue, 9:00 est, Discovery). "Now in High Def."

I love Deadliest Catch! I too am excited that Opie season is finally here. After a sub par king crab season (by sub par I mean nothing really all that exciting) I am glad it's time for the Opies.

For anyone who hasn't watched, "opies" or opillio (sp.) crab are fished for in the dead of winter on the Bering Sea in Alaska. How they do it is beyond me. Single digit to below zero temperatures, 50-100 mph winds, and having to watch out for the forming ice pack so you don't get surrounded by ice in the middle of the ocean!

All this makes for some exciting T.V.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Opie Season Starts this week on D.C.!

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    I am glad it's time for the Opies.

For anyone who hasn't watched, "opies" or opillio (sp.) crab are fished for in the dead of winter on the Bering Sea in Alaska.
    And here I thought the thread was going to be about Deputy Barney Fife going hunting...
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Thumbs up LOVE Deadliest Catch!!!!

I LOVE this show!! Truly my favorite of all that TVland has to offer. Looking forward to Opie season. I'm always bereft when the D.C. season ends.

For those of you who don't watch this show, you are missing the BEST of "reality TV." This is true reality. Amazing characters, more action and breath-taking visuals, complete respect and awe for the men who live and die (literally) for a profession that is 'in their blood.'

Boston and NYC have fire fighters and police who continue from generation to generation. But nothing compares to the Fishing Boats of the Bering Sea.

Thumbs up The Northwestern is tough to beat

My money is going on Sig Hansen and the crew of the Northwestern.

I could swear I saw the early part of an opie episode Sunday. My wife doesn't understand why I like the show. Frankly, I don't know why I like the show.

Got to get one of those "Shut up and fish" t-shirts!

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    Last edited by Lavabe; 06-03-2008 at 05:32 AM. Reason: Quote

I love this show as well. One of my favorites for sure. Can't wait for Opie season!
    Windsor (aka Loni)

a wasted youth is better by far than a wise and productive old age

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    My money is going on Sig Hansen and the crew of the Northwestern.

I could swear I saw the early part of an opie episode Sunday. My wife doesn't understand why I like the show. Frankly, I don't know why I like the show.

Got to get one of those "Shut up and fish" t-shirts!

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    The Hanson Brothers are nuts. But I'm pulling for the Hillstrands.

As a former hardcrabber myself (Pamlico Sound), I must say that Deadliest Catch is the best show ever. My money is on the Cornelia Marie. Bad luck usually doesn't hit both seasons.

We should make a friendly wager.

Quote Originally Posted by pamtar View Post
    As a former hardcrabber myself (Pamlico Sound), I must say that Deadliest Catch is the best show ever. My money is on the Cornelia Marie. Bad luck usually doesn't hit both seasons.

Call the string before you pull it. I'll make a friendly wager...but we would have to meet in the bar in Dutch to pay up.

I like the Hansens...biting heads off raw fish...throwing flaming hooks...and Sig is nuts. Totally nuts...not that the Hillstrands are sane.

Phil on the Cornelia Marie was looking pretty bad at the end of king crab season (physically...never mind the crab count)..love his son doing the mohawk thing to change thier luck.
    Windsor (aka Loni)

Talking Fantasy crab season

Quote Originally Posted by pamtar View Post
    Dare I say it ...

Should we form a fantasy league?

I haven't watched the last season nor much of the current one, so I don't know what the Hansens have been up to lately on the water.

I do know they've been pretty smart about trying to cash in on their 45 min. of fame. (3 brothers...) They've got a video game coming out - http://www.fvnorthwestern.com/ - they've got their own Hansen merchandise (not to be confused with the Hansons, mm-bop), and are quite the local celebraties here in the PNW. A 10-person, king crab dinner with Sig went for $20k in a charity auction last summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Dare I say it ...

Should we form a fantasy league?

Brilliant!!
    Windsor (aka Loni)

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    The Hanson Brothers are nuts. But I'm pulling for the Hillstrands.
    Yes they are!

Smile You beat me to it!

Quote Originally Posted by bdh21 View Post
    Yes they are!

Where were you when Slapshot lost in Jason Evans' all-time DBR sports movie poll?

Quote Originally Posted by bdh21 View Post
    Yes they are!

I think of those three every time they mention the Hanson Bros.

Not sure which three are the toughest, though. That would be a good battle.

Smile Anyone going to bite down on a herring head? Eww!

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    I haven't watched the last season nor much of the current one, so I don't know what the Hansens have been up to lately on the water.

I do know they've been pretty smart about trying to cash in on their 45 min. of fame. (3 brothers...) They've got a video game coming out - http://www.fvnorthwestern.com/ - they've got their own Hansen merchandise (not to be confused with the Hansons, mm-bop), and are quite the local celebraties here in the PNW. A 10-person, king crab dinner with Sig went for $20k in a charity auction last summer.
    Sig's a character.

The Hillstrands also have a web site:
    http://www.timebandit.tv/
    No video game, but they have a book. On tonight's episodes, I loved their tribute to their dad.

The Cornelia Marie and Crab Wizard have their own sites as well.

This show may force me to get HD.
    Cheers,
    Lavabe

The trib to their dad was the end of the king crab season. (Repeat from last week). Opie season started this week.

Either way, HD is worth it regardless of what you watch.

BTW, I don't think Phil is gonna make it much longer . . . .

After lurking in this thread all week I decided to watch D.C. last night. I have randomly caught episodes in the past, but have never specifically watched an episode. As another poster pointed out, this is reality TV.

I enjoyed my first episodes, caught the last of the king crab season. I didn't like how they ended last nights episode of the first season of Opie, sort of reminded me of "Who shot JR," though I realize why it ended that way - ratings, ratings, ratings. I will be tuning in next week to see the outcome.

Oh yeah, I did enjoy the program. Don't know how those guys can do that, but glad they do. Could go for some crab right about now.

Quote Originally Posted by TillyGalore View Post
    After lurking in this thread all week I decided to watch D.C. last night. I have randomly caught episodes in the past, but have never specifically watched an episode. As another poster pointed out, this is reality TV.
    I think we need to clarify "Reality TV". When I hear that, I tend to think of tripe on film like Big Brother, Survivor, The Bachelor, etc. I think this show is better described as a modern documentary. Either way...

Opie Season has started. I spend most of the show shaking my head, talking to myself saying things like "Sheesh, these guys are real men. I am a wuss." I'm pulling for everyone, but Sig and the Northwestern are my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by 2535Miles View Post
    I think we need to clarify "Reality TV". When I hear that, I tend to think of tripe on film like Big Brother, Survivor, The Bachelor, etc. I think this show is better described as a modern documentary. Either way...

Opie Season has started. I spend most of the show shaking my head, talking to myself saying things like "Sheesh, these guys are real men. I am a wuss." I'm pulling for everyone, but Sig and the Northwestern are my favorite.
    Perhaps shows like this should be referred to as REAL tv as it is real, not some hokey game show calling itself "reality". Please, what is so real about shows like "Survivor," "American Idol," "The Bachelor," etc? Someone I highly respect claimed he "pegged" me as a watcher of such shows. Never pigeon hole Tilly, you'll (almost) always be wrong.

Back to the topic at hand. I'm with you 2535 miles, I felt like a wuss too. I love sleeping in my bed for 7-8 hours, taking a shower daily, walking on land, and sitting at my desk in my 8-5 (+) job. Nope, don't want to learn how to balance myself on a boat that is always swaying. Don't want to be interrupted during my sleep time to unload crabs for 24 hours.

Compared to these guys, I am a wuss, and I am okay with that.