Jim Calhoun reveals he has skin cancer

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ap/index.html

This really sucks. I know he gets a lot of flak around here, but I wish him all the best and a quick and speedy recovery.

Fortunately, it sounds like the cancer is gone:

His physician, Dr. Jeffrey Spiro, attended the news conference with Calhoun and said he believes the coach is now cancer-free.

~~

Calhoun said doctors determined last month that a lump in the upper right side of his neck near the jaw line was squamous cell cancer. He had surgery May 6 to remove the lump, several surrounding lymph nodes and part of his salivary gland. Subsequent tests revealed all the cancer had been removed.
    Last edited by Mike Corey; 05-30-2008 at 03:45 PM.

I had the same type of cancer last year. It was a simple removal of a growth in my hairline... with no follow-up of any kind. Squamous cell is more dangerous than basal cell (which almost never metastasizes) but, as I was told, rarely a problem. Sounds like it had spread into the lymph system, which, of course, means that all bets are off.

Other posters are bound to be more knowledgeable -- I was just a patient.

Best of luck to Jim Calhoun and his family, and lets hope we hear nothing further about this.

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Corey View Post
    Fortunately, it sounds like the cancer is gone:
    No, from what they are saying here in NYC, this is a recurrance

Jim

Squamous cell skin cancer has a very good survival rate...much better, of course, if it's caught local. Melanoma is the really nasty skin cancer, but even squamous and basal CAN metastacize and become problems. Whether this is a recurrance or not, that wide of a resection area sounds worrisome. Hopefully he'll do well. Always wear your sunscreen, people.

Dave...President of the Federation of Red-Headed-Blue-Eyed-Pale-Skinned People Against Skin Cancer

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    Squamous cell skin cancer has a very good survival rate...much better, of course, if it's caught local. Melanoma is the really nasty skin cancer, but even squamous and basal CAN metastacize and become problems. Whether this is a recurrance or not, that wide of a resection area sounds worrisome. Hopefully he'll do well. Always wear your sunscreen, people.

Dave...President of the Federation of Red-Headed-Blue-Eyed-Pale-Skinned People Against Skin Cancer
    I second that sunscreen comment. I have had two bouts with skin cancer - none of the bad kind, but I have learned it is not fun to be the only guy in the room without a knife! Now I only put the top down after 4:30 and used SPF50 like it is going out of style. It can be tough on the skin here in south FL.