Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: USC in trouble

There are ways to get around everything, i.e. tax laws. For the same reason tax laws are so complicated so are the NCAA regulations. Write a law and you can find someone who is looking for ways to get around it.

All OJ Mayo was was a money making machine to someone. He had people around him that only saw the money; family, friends and want-a-be's. Those that object to it get some cash and they don't object for too long.

I do believe the coaches know what is going on. It just comes down to the pressure of winning. And the way to win sometimes is by recruiting those guys that might have some baggage, i.e. Huggins at Cincinnati, Bliss at Baylor, etc. Look at Maryland and there latest recruiting issue. A win at all cost thing.

The coach needs to be disciplined, i.e. Coach K. Sometimes people are puzzled why Coach K gives up on a top recruit but I think it is because he knows things about the guy that he doesn't want to get involved with. It might be things like this or that they only will stay for a year, i.e. Love.

I think Coach K is the MOST reputable coach in the game today. But I think, not fully sure, that a few years back he might have almost run into a similar issue with Corey Maggette. There were people screaming for an investigation into him after he left Duke for the pros after his freshman year. I believe people were saying his AAU coach had some influence over him and did some money transactions with Corey. Reports were, from Correy I believe, that Coach K was very supportive of him going pro event though he didn't start for Duke. Things looked funny.

There are too many cases like Mayo's to effectively investigate them so they slip by until someone close the situation comes forward. And I bet one person, at least, is upset they made this guy mad. It probably came down to this guy not getting his fair share of the $200,000.

Quote Originally Posted by dukeimac View Post

All OJ Mayo was was a money making machine to someone. He had people around him that only saw the money; family, friends and want-a-be's. Those that object to it get some cash and they don't object for too long.
    I understand your point, but in this particular case, from everything that has come out, and everything I have read, his mother has walked the straight and narrow and tried to keep him on the straight and narrow. She is in no way like Lebron's mom and her antics when he was in high school. In fact, she tried to counsel OJ to stay away from Guillory.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Quote Originally Posted by ugadevil View Post
    I saw that story as well. I couldn't believe the comments from Mayo's own mother. She basically said she knows it's bad situation and she didn't trust the people O.J. was hanging out with, but she had to support him.
    True. While most future D1 athletes consult with their parents on where to go to school and which offer to accept, the bottom line is that parents (OJ Mayo's mom included) have absolutely no legal say over where their kid is going to college. The reality is that no matter where the kid goes, the parents aren't footing the bill, so all they have are merely suggestions. Obviously most kids look to their parents for advice, opinions, etc., but it's the kid's decision in the end. Mayo's mom has said since high school that she didn't want OJ going out to LA for college and that she didn't like or trust Guillory (Mayo's chief confidant).

But, as crazy as it sounds, her hands were tied.

Quote Originally Posted by ugadevil View Post
    This one just seems like a giveaway. People were asking questions about Mayo since his freshman year in high school.
    That's what I was thinking. Earlier in the thread, someone said that USC just happened to have this kid who was receiving money from a third party. I think USC had a pretty good idea that there was some risk in taking on Mayo. It's hard not to get that impression if you've heard the story about how Mayo landed in Tim Floyd's lap (he recieved a random phone call from someone who represented Mayo).

Quote Originally Posted by juise View Post
    It's hard not to get that impression if you've heard the story about how Mayo landed in Tim Floyd's lap (he recieved a random phone call from someone who represented Mayo).
    If I'm not mistaken, Outside the Lines made it sound like that "someone" was actually Rodney Guillory.

Quote Originally Posted by juise View Post
    It's hard not to get that impression if you've heard the story about how Mayo landed in Tim Floyd's lap (he recieved a random phone call from someone who represented Mayo).
    What was random about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Turtleboy View Post
    Because USC had done nothing to recruit him prior to that contact. Read up.

UGA, you're right... it was Guillory. At the time, he was just some guy (not a coach, family member, etc.). I was wrong in that the initial contact didn't come via phone. Even more strange.

Quote Originally Posted by Turtleboy View Post
    "Unsolicited" would probably be a better word, according to the stories. Floyd was not recruiting Mayo for USC, and was surprised about his interest, but the fact that USC was local to the "advisor" makes it not random.

i wonder how long it is until the IRS decides that they want a piece of this action. If the IRS starts knocking down the doors of players who are getting benefits this whole thing could be taken to another level.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

The Accuser's

in both the OJ Mayo deal and the Reggie Bush deal are not exactly choir boys.

So, after the Nifong lacrosse hoax, I will wait before passing judgment.

I do think that somehow the player's taking money need to be penalized. Getting the IRS involved would probably be a good thing. The slimeballs who pay high schoolers under the table need to be punished also.

SoCal

Webber did have to deal with the IRS

It looks like there is a precedent for the IRS being involved. The Fab Five loans from Ed Martin were uncovered by the IRS, and Webber plead guilty to an obstruction of justice claim. It does not seem that the IRS had a claim against Webber directly for accepting the "loans". Check out the Wikipedia description http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Univers...etball_scandal. (If I did the link correctly.)

Seems like a case study of why a school should avoid "one-and-done" players if possible (emphasis on the word "school", not "factory"). Granted, the facts are not in and the whole story could be sour grapes by a hanger-on who got kicked to the curb. I did remember thinking USC was a strange choice when Mayo signed there...

Could you imagine what would have happened if Lebron had to sign on for a year somewhere before heading to the NBA? Call me a cynic, but I have a hard time believing the Mayo story is rare... Too much money sloshing around at the top of the pyramid, and now people are taking seriously the statements made by 8th graders...

USC is putting on an excellent Sgt Schultz performance... (how badly am I dating myself with a Hogan's Heroes reference?) "I zee nuttink!! Nuttink!!"

For you young'uns, here's a sample. Go to the 4:30 mark or so to see a typical example of the estimable John Banner's signature phrase...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVERD_ewDxw

The money is running rampant and everyone is to blame. I'm willing to bet any money the whistle blower didn't feel like he was getting is fair share and that is why he did it. One report states Guillory got $200,00 and about $30,000 of that went to Mayo. If true, I'm sure mom got part of that. I'm not sure of her story but if she a single mom and working two jobs to feed her family, when a guy offers her some cash I would believe it would be very tempting.

I would believe Guillory saw Mayo and thought he could be something special. Sells the idea of the kid to an agent. Once the agent buys into him they want him to go to a school that can show case him, hence USC. Guillory sells USC on this kid and convinces the kid USC gives him the best chance to show case his talent, tells him they will start you as a freshman. The agent likes the option, since the kid will be show cased and will get to the bigs sooner this way for a bigger price.

USC gets a talented guy who can help a coach win right away. The coach wins!
    Mayo gets to start right away, make an impact and his NBA stock goes up. The player wins (everyone wants to start as a freshman)!
    The agent gets the prospect showcased and a good chance he'll be worth some bucks in the pros. The agent gets a cut of a larger pot because he has been show cased. The agent wins!
    For his services, Guillory gets a kick back. And he wins!
    If mom or dad are hesitant and could derail everything, Guillory kicks in a few bucks to make the parent happy. The parent usually isn't a a position to say no to some real easy money. The parent wins!

It has to be an alarm when a guy sells you on a kid that is no relation to them and they never coached the kid, as the coach you have to know something isn't right. AAU coaches are getting in more trouble all the time because of things similar to this. The smell is bad, the Coach knew.

In one of the articles I read yesterday on OJ Mayo said that his agent Rodney Guillory was in Floyds office when Mayo committed. By all accounts there have been questions about his life style for a few years. Flotd and USC wnat us to believe they had no knowledge. What a crock of crap.

Minor tangent: In Luke Winn's SI.com article, he states that "The school sold Mayo's jerseys for $75 a pop." I thought schools are forbidden to sell players' jerseys while they're in school. You think Winn was just mistaken? Or am I mistaken with the rule?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Minor tangent: In Luke Winn's SI.com article, he states that "The school sold Mayo's jerseys for $75 a pop." I thought schools are forbidden to sell players' jerseys while they're in school. You think Winn was just mistaken? Or am I mistaken with the rule?
    It can't have the name, but I'm fairly certain it could have the number on it at the time. So perhaps they're selling a jersey with his number on it, which I think is acceptable (it certainly happens in any case).

Make no mistake, Ropdney Gillory was a known "runner" for BDA. I suppose it is possible that Tim Floyd did not know who he was when Gillory first walked into his office but if you tossed Gillory's name out to more than 2 or 3 other people who really know college recruiting, I am sure someone would have told you who he was. What's more, I would question how someone who was a total unknown would even get into Tim Floyd's office in the first place. I mean, could one of us walk in off the street, claim we represented Derrick Favors, and get a one-on-one with Coach K? I doubt it.

Tim Floyd knew who he was talking to and knew what Rodney Gillory was about.

Oh, worth noting (Luke Wynn notes it in his article) -- Gillory had been cited for begin a runner in the past and arranging for a kid to attend a school. The kid was Jeff Trepagnier... who went to USC.

-Jason "USC/Floyd were bad guys in all this-- not horrible, but bad enough to get some punishment" Evans

Jason - The high school kid was Tito Maddox (see link below). Trepagnier of USC was suspended for a few games because he accepted plane ticket from Guillory. According to link, Fresno State lost three scholarships and had a self-imposed two-year probation.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/printe...,6137597.story

Floyd and USC should be severely punished to send a message.

gw67

USC is known around here as a school that plays dirty (especially on the football side...Bush was just the tip of the iceburg). There was little doubt that something shady went on with the Mayo commitment and there is also little doubt that Floyd thought that everything was on the up-and-up. However, proving it is always difficult.

UCLA just hired a new football coach whom I bet will lead to recruiting violations within the next 5 years...

Quote Originally Posted by Clipsfan View Post
    USC is known around here as a school that plays dirty (especially on the football side...Bush was just the tip of the iceburg). There was little doubt that something shady went on with the Mayo commitment and there is also little doubt that Floyd thought that everything was on the up-and-up. However, proving it is always difficult.

UCLA just hired a new football coach whom I bet will lead to recruiting violations within the next 5 years...
    Good thing Stanford hired a basketball coach who will take it to both schools!