Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Men's lax

Round One: Loyola vs. Duke

2:30 est, ESPNU.

Game's at Koskinen. 3 more points for Danowski and he'll set the record.

On a side note, Colin Finnerty is playing for Loyola.

Danowski just broke the record... 344 career points!

Men's lax

1st round at Koskinen at 230 PM. Any one attend? Any score? None yet on goduke.com. Let's go guys!

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    1st round at Koskinen at 230 PM. Any one attend? Any score? None yet on goduke.com. Let's go guys!
    Duke won, 12-7, and two of Loyola's goals were scored in the last three minutes when the game was out of reach.

Matt Danowski had two goals and five assists, and became the all-time leading career scorer in the history of college lacrosse.

Collin Finnerty had three goals for Loyola, which was kinda nice to see.

Good news...who is up next?

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Good news...who is up next?
    Right now it looks like Duke will be playing Ohio State next week. The Buckeyes are all over Cornell, up 10-2 with five minutes to go in the first half. Their goalie has even scored.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    Right now it looks like Duke will be playing Ohio State next week. The Buckeyes are all over Cornell, up 10-2 with five minutes to go in the first half. Their goalie has even scored.
    Final score: Ohio State 15, Cornell 7. The Big Red didn't play much defense, but Ohio State was very impressive nonetheless. We'd better not take them for granted.

One more game left on Day One: Navy at Carolina. Both teams were on downslides at the end of the regular season. Faceoffs will be key; if Walterhoefer wins 60 percent or more, I expect the Heels to win easily.

i got a little concerned at the duke/loyola game when they were kind of stagnant in the first quarter. i had watched a few of their games on espnu this year and they were so good at scoring, but then went dead it seemed against virginia in the acc championship... glad they came out of the funk and had a good burst this afternoon
    Duke '96
    Cary, NC

Navy!

It got hairy at the end, but the Mids held on to beat Carolina, 8-7.

Lax

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    It got hairy at the end, but the Mids held on to beat Carolina, 8-7.
    Go Navy! But not if have to meet them.

About sick and tired of Dom Starsia

Read the front page article link to the NYT about the fifth year guys on the Duke team this year. ANother article quoting UVa mlax coach Dom Starsia talking about the advantage Duke has this year because of the extra year. Honestly, I didn't think the NCAA should have allowed it. Duke is the reason why the season was cut short and the NCAA allowed the guilty party to petition for the extra year successfully. BUT, I am glad for the kids' sakes. Back to Starsia...UVA WON THE CHAMPIONSHIP THAT YEAR! Nobody benefitted more than Starsia from Duke's response to that situation in keeping a superior team from spanking UVA at least twice in 2006.
    Last edited by JBDuke; 05-11-2008 at 12:28 AM. Reason: removed argumentative comments

Quote Originally Posted by Inonehand View Post
    Read the front page article link to the NYT about the fifth year guys on the Duke team this year. ANother article quoting UVa mlax coach Dom Starsia talking about the advantage Duke has this year because of the extra year. Honestly, I didn't think the NCAA should have allowed it. Duke is the reason why the season was cut short and the NCAA allowed the guilty party to petition for the extra year successfully. BUT, I am glad for the kids' sakes. Back to Starsia...UVA WON THE CHAMPIONSHIP THAT YEAR! Nobody benefitted more than Starsia from Duke's response to that situation in keeping a superior team from spanking UVA at least twice in 2006.
    Exactly the point. The kids basically got cheated out of a year of playing, and the NCAA rightfully gave them the opportunity to play that year out now. This "5th year" is really their 4th, with the year of the scandal being canceled, why would it count? This is only their 4th year to play a season, and even though I'm surprised that the NCAA allowed it, its definitely the way it should have been.

Quote Originally Posted by Inonehand View Post
    Not only that, but this year Virginia has in its starting lineup Ken Clausen, a one of Duke’s recruit who was permitted to withdraw from his letter of intent after the administration cancelled the season, and Peter Lamade, a former Duke player who graduated last year and is using his final year of eligibility at Virginia.

It's always a great day when UNC loses at any sport.

Congrats to Danowski for becoming the all-time NCAA leading scorer.

The sky is always bluer in Durham.

Day Two is underway, with Colgate leading Notre Dame 4-2 midway through the second quarter. After that, it's Hofstra-Johns Hopkins, UVa- Maryland Baltimore County, and Syracuse-Canisius.

I know we shouldn't overlook OSU, what are they good at that might give us trouble?

I know we shouldn't overlook OSU, what are they good at that might give us trouble?
    Danowski and Greer are 1 and 2 in scoring...well they have the #3 (Delgarno) and 4 (Buchanan) guys in the country

Quote Originally Posted by gotham devil View Post
    Danowski and Greer are 1 and 2 in scoring...well they have the #3 (Delgarno) and 4 (Buchanan) guys in the country
    OSU is a near-mirror-image of Duke: they love to play up-tempo and are aggressive at the defensive end. Keys for Duke: more accurate shooting than against Loyola yesterday (missed a bunch of sitters), forcing turnovers and capitalizing on unsettled situations, and faceoffs. Would also be nice if Dan Loftus could duplicate his performance against UVa in the ACC final.

This will almost certainly be a shoot-out. A final score like 21-18 is not out of the question.

ND Wins

8-7 in overtime.

Hofstra and Hopkins just getting started.

Their goalie ran the length of the field to score yesterday. I only note this because the highlight made the sports report on CNN Headline News... probably the first time anything but a national title game has resulted in a lax highlight on HLN.

--Jason "our spring sports are really gonna help our (formerly) Sears Cup standings!" Evans