Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Women's golf

UCLA started out on fire today and is -4 through the first 4-5 holes. Duke is +3 so far today and 22 strokes back overall.

Doesn't look good for the 4-peat, bad start again today. Awesome run though and golf's a quirky game, anything can still happen. Either way a great season and I applaud the women and Dan Brooks. GO DEVILS!!

20 back entering the final round doesn't look good at all. I'm now just pulling for UCLA to beat USC

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    Go DUKE women!!!! I know Dan's very confident with this team as he should be. Very nice and gracious young ladies they are; I met them last year. GO DUKE!!!!
    I met one shortly after this year's graduation exercises; she shared an apartment with my daughter and another coed this past year. She is, indeed, very nice and gracious. I also met her father, who doesn't golf!

Not so fast. Duke has started the fourth round 5-under, after junior Jennie Lee birdied her first two holes and then aced No. 12. Lightning has stopped play again, but now the Blue Devils are in third place, 15 behind USC and only nine strokes behind UCLA.

The Chronicle has a reporter out in Albuquerque, and she's going to be keeping us updated on its new blog once play is resumed and she can get off the bus in the middle of the course.

Be sure to follow along, and bookmark the page (http://www.dukechroniclesports.com) for live blogs for the lacrosse Final Fours, as well.
    Last edited by Ben Cohen; 05-23-2008 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Clarity.

After three holes, Jennie Lee is 4 under for the day. If she keeps up this pace, she'll shoot a 48 for 18.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    After three holes, Jennie Lee is 4 under for the day. If she keeps up this pace, she'll shoot a 48 for 18.
    Hole-in-one on the third! Way to go, Jennie. edit: I now see your post above, Ben.

Great start for today!

3rd Place

USC won, UCLA second, Duke 3rd.

No 4 peat.

Duke did have the best final day, 7 under.

Congrats to Dan Brooks and the players.

SoCal

Lowest score

Duke had the lowest score of any day on the final day of competition.

Just returned home after being in Albuquerque. What a weird 4 days. The weather started out being the hottest day of the year hitting the mid 90's with steady wind of about 25 miles per hour. Wind picked up on Wednesday with golf balls rolling off greens prior to stoppage. Several times ball moved after grounding the putter resulting in penalties. Hard to see downtown due to blowing sand. Front moved through Wednesday night bringing cold rain, sleet and snow to higher elevations. Thunderstorms in afternoon again with steady winds approaching 35 miles per hour. Half way decent on Friday until sleet followed by stoppage due to lightening about 2:30 resulting in 55 minute delay. Decent but "cool" and windy after that but did not finish until around 8PM.

Girls were absolutely great and gracious as always. Did not easily give up their crown when conditions could have resulted in big let down. As one example, Alison Whitaker was the "talk" among all the volunteers on Friday. Thursday night when the play was suspended due to darkness, her playing companions chose to finish the hole. She chose to come back at 7AM on Friday morning to sink her punt for a birdie.

Earlier in this thread, there were several mentions about Coach Brooks. One of my personal highlights was having the priviledge of meeting his parents as well as his "old" coach. After just several minutes of conversation, it became readily apparent where his "pedigree" comes from.

This team will be back.

women's golf

Quote Originally Posted by fitimi1 View Post
    Just returned home after being in Albuquerque. What a weird 4 days. The weather started out being the hottest day of the year hitting the mid 90's with steady wind of about 25 miles per hour. Wind picked up on Wednesday with golf balls rolling off greens prior to stoppage. Several times ball moved after grounding the putter resulting in penalties. Hard to see downtown due to blowing sand. Front moved through Wednesday night bringing cold rain, sleet and snow to higher elevations. Thunderstorms in afternoon again with steady winds approaching 35 miles per hour. Half way decent on Friday until sleet followed by stoppage due to lightening about 2:30 resulting in 55 minute delay. Decent but "cool" and windy after that but did not finish until around 8PM.

Girls were absolutely great and gracious as always. Did not easily give up their crown when conditions could have resulted in big let down. As one example, Alison Whitaker was the "talk" among all the volunteers on Friday. Thursday night when the play was suspended due to darkness, her playing companions chose to finish the hole. She chose to come back at 7AM on Friday morning to sink her punt for a birdie.

Earlier in this thread, there were several mentions about Coach Brooks. One of my personal highlights was having the priviledge of meeting his parents as well as his "old" coach. After just several minutes of conversation, it became readily apparent where his "pedigree" comes from.

This team will be back.
    Great report/stories. Thanks for sharing those with the board!