Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Foods for Detoxing the Body

What are the best foods (liquid and solid) for safely detoxing the body?

Spinach? Blueberries? Water?

If I were to go on a one-week detox binge, what would you recommend? Seriously.

-EarlJam

Broccoli and watermelon.

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    What are the best foods (liquid and solid) for safely detoxing the body?

Spinach? Blueberries? Water?

If I were to go on a one-week detox binge, what would you recommend? Seriously.

-EarlJam
    .38 + Smith & Wesson

Cranberry juice is good too. And buy a couple of boxes of Fiber One cereal.
    Also green tea.
    Not that I would know.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    .38 + Smith & Wesson
    I don't think that was very nice. And how could you be so insensitive, suggesting suicide so close to the recent suicide of the D.C. Madam?

I never thought I'd say this to you Indoor66, but I have to do it. Indoor66, may you burn in Hell.

-EarlJam

P.S. Just kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Cranberry juice is good too. And buy a couple of boxes of Fiber One cereal.
    Also green tea.
    Not that I would know.
    Ah! Cranberry juice. That's a GREAT call. You can get the pure juice in the stores and dilute it with water. That and fiber will detox you in a jiffy.

Thanks!

-EJ

A guy I work for just did this "ultra-cleanse" thing for 10 days.

It essentially (and I'm speaking from memory so measurements may be off) was 8-12 pints of a concoction consisting of mostly water, a few table spoons of maple syrup, some lemon juice and some cayenne pepper. Each morning when he woke up, he also drank a pint of saltwater. Nothing else. No vitamins, supplements, nothing.

He said the first 3 days were hell, but by day 10 he could have kept going and had lots of energy. He also said that he couldn't plan anything within an hour after he drank that saltwater.

Not for me, but apparently, this isn't an unpopular method of "cleansing."

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    A guy I work for just did this "ultra-cleanse" thing for 10 days.

It essentially (and I'm speaking from memory so measurements may be off) was 8-12 pints of a concoction consisting of mostly water, a few table spoons of maple syrup, some lemon juice and some cayenne pepper. Each morning when he woke up, he also drank a pint of saltwater. Nothing else. No vitamins, supplements, nothing.

He said the first 3 days were hell, but by day 10 he could have kept going and had lots of energy. He also said that he couldn't plan anything within an hour after he drank that saltwater.

Not for me, but apparently, this isn't an unpopular method of "cleansing."
    During this time, did he eat anything?

Quote Originally Posted by TillyGalore View Post
    Colonblow.com?

Thanks, but I'm not going there! Besides, I recently used the Colon Kit my brother gave me for Christmas, and EarlJam's colon is clean and in great shape.

Behold my Golden Colon!

-ColonJam

^ Actually, you don't want colonjam. It is either painful or not very tasty (depending on which definition of "jam" you're using).

For detox, I use grain alcohol and arugula. Clean you out like nobody's business.

Arden's Garden 3-day detox

EarlJam, I recommend you go to Arden's Garden here in our hometown of Atlanta and get their 3 day detox. It's a regimen of distilled water and juices, mostly cranberry and lemon juices, I think. Three days is a relatively minor commitment, and you'll have a sense of whether you want to go further.

There are two or three Arden's Garden stores around. The one I go to is on Monroe at 10th/Virginia. Good luck!
    No soup for you!

Quote Originally Posted by AtlBluRew View Post
    EarlJam, I recommend you go to Arden's Garden here in our hometown of Atlanta and get their 3 day detox. It's a regimen of distilled water and juices, mostly cranberry and lemon juices, I think. Three days is a relatively minor commitment, and you'll have a sense of whether you want to go further.

There are two or three Arden's Garden stores around. The one I go to is on Monroe at 10th/Virginia. Good luck!
    Wow. AWESOME advice, thanks!

I will most certainly do this.

-EJ

Quote Originally Posted by AtlBluRew View Post

I guarantee you that's the only thing getting detoxed at Piedmont Park.

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    During this time, did he eat anything?
    I also know someone in the midst of this 10-day program. I believe food of any kind is completely off limits.

That said, is this even remotely healthly?? I struggle to imagine going 10 days without any food -- why would I want to do this?

Trim spa, baby!

Quote Originally Posted by Fish80 View Post
    Trim spa, baby!
    Worked for Anna Nicole. Kinda.

If I were looking for detox foods, I'd just eat at Yoforia everyday.

Not that you're necessarily looking to lose weight, but I decided to change my eating habits for the better in January and lost about 14 lbs since then (from 182 to 168 -- I'm a 5'10" male). I did a modified South Beach diet, which focuses on better eating habits rather than diminishing the amount of food you eat. The first two weeks is somewhat like a diet, but since then I focused on the following:

1. Decrease the overall amount of carbs and limit those carbs to "good" carbs such as whole grains; and
    2. Limit the amount of processed sugars (e.g., candy, soft drinks, etc.)

I snack on lots of almonds, fresh fruit, dried fruit, and I eat lots of fiber (e.g., fiber cereal, lentils, legumes, beans), but other than that I eat the same sized portions as I always did and allow for some special treats, like a piece of chocolate, on an almost daily basis.

My weight has leveled off since I started, which is fine because I only wanted to lose about 5-6 lbs in the first place, but it's been relatively painless.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

speaking of trim spa...

Quote Originally Posted by Fish80 View Post
    Trim spa, baby!
    and other diet pills, I just read an article based on a scientific study saying that eating an apple about twenty minutes before each meal resulted in similar weight loss to diet pills. Apparently there is some chemical in apples that triggers similar reactions in people to diet pills, thus controlling appetite, resulting in people eating less at their meals and losing weight. I'm not a nutritionist, but I found it interesting, and I figure you're probably better off eating an apple than popping a pill.