Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Lost 4/24 - Spoilers

Holy smokes. That...just rocked.

We got some answers, but so many questions as well.

Things I'm not convinced of:

1) When Ben went in the room that he called the smoke - I think he might have teleported to the desert where we saw him during the flashes.

2) That the bad guy killed Nadia. It could have been Ben.

Big questions I have:

1) Why can't Ben kill Charles?
    2) Why is Charles having nightmares?
    3) What were the rules that got changed? Is this all some game?

And this isn't even touching the fact that Ben's daughter got killed.

The acting on this show is just superb - everyone knocked it out of the park today. Now we get the big showdown - Ben hunting for Penny, Charles hunting for the island. Jack wanting to get back (why, I'm not sure), and the question of what happened to everyone not included in the Final 6 (and why they don't tell anyone about what really happened).

Man, just awesome. Is it next Thursday yet?

Great episode

No one can complain that nothing happened tonight!

When the Smoke Monster came barreling into camp, it reminded me of the ghost train in Ghost Busters 1. You remember, the train that ran right through the 4th guy. Good Smoke Monster, yes you are!

It was interesting that Ben asked the date and wanted to confirm the year was 2005.

Why was Hurley so willing to go with Ben and Locke?
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

wow what a great show. I remember last year in a show when Locke took ben out to look for Jacob, the look on Bens face when Locke could not remeber how to find the cabin but Hurley knew were it was

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    When the Smoke Monster came barreling into camp, it reminded me of the ghost train in Ghost Busters 1.
    Or was that Ghost Busters 2?
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

I think Hurley realizes more than he is willing to verbalize. He has some sense of Jacob but chooses not to deal with him.

So they didn't kill Claire. I thought they might.

Why can Ben and his people get on and off the island but others can't even find it? Great episode

I'm starting to think the reason Aaron gets off the island without Claire and Jack doesn't want to see Aaron in the future is because Jack is taken off the island due to his newfound appendix issue and as a result Claire is left behind.

Questions

The only problem I have with Lost right now (and hopefully it is temporary) is that there are a ton of questions from prior seasons that they don't seem even close to answering. Things like:

1) Why did the children and some passengers get taken just after the crash - those on the "good" list. Where are they?

2) Where are the original Others? We haven't seen them all season.

3) What's going on with Jack's dad?

4) What was up with the number pressing? Why were the others really on the island to begin with?

There are 2 + seasons left, so plenty of time to answer these things. But right now many of them aren't on the radar at all...and I'm sure I'm forgetting some others.

Still - best show on TV right now (with Battlestar a close second)

Quote Originally Posted by riverside6 View Post
    I'm starting to think the reason Aaron gets off the island without Claire and Jack doesn't want to see Aaron in the future is because Jack is taken off the island due to his newfound appendix issue and as a result Claire is left behind.
    If that's the case, almost certainly there was some other circumstance that played into the decision too. You know Jack and his savior complex - he would far rather die than deny Claire the chance to raise Aaron. (although I have to say, having had appendicitis myself, it would be a terrible way to go. I've never been in so much pain in my life, and that includes having children)

I also don't think that Ben called the smoke monster from the hidden room in the hidden room. It makes more sense in the course of events that he went to Tunisia, London, etc. to begin hunting down Widmore's guys in the (now) blood feud. It was certainly strongly suggested by the way Michael Emerson reacted that he was lying to Sayid from the beginning. Whenever he gets that fixed, bug-eyed look, don't trust him as far as you can throw him.

I think that he can't kill Charles Widmore for the same reason that Michael can't die, as much as we would all like him to. Widmore still has "work to do" in this story. However - if Ben succeeds in killing Penny, won't he also effectively eliminate Desmond since she is his constant? Or was that whole consciousness-traveling thing a one-time deal?

Also, didn't love the confrontation between Ben and Widmore. It come off very cliched IMO.

THE mystery for me...

... which I forgot about just now, is surrounding the doctor! What do we infer from the freighter folk saying "The doctor is fine"? That it's fine that he's dead or that he's on the ship right now? And if it's the latter - what the crap?? Is this an Orchid bunny situation?

The lighting in the Ben vs Widmore scene was very interesting. Each of them had half of their faces lit and half in shadow. Was this showing that they are similarly made up of both good and evil, or that they are opposites? with Ben the Yin to Widmore's Yang.

Ben could easily have killed Naomi to get Sayid to turn hitman, but that doesn't seem quite right. I have no idea, why Widmore would have killed Naomi however. Neither scenario makes a ton of sense. Another option?

It was pretty shocking that Alex got killed like that, and even more shocking to see Ben distraught. Is Ben becoming good?

FYI, Henry Ian Cusick (Desmond) is answering questions on the Wash Post live chat today at 1:30pm.

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    No one can complain that nothing happened tonight!

When the Smoke Monster came barreling into camp, it reminded me of the ghost train in Ghost Busters 1. You remember, the train that ran right through the 4th guy. Good Smoke Monster, yes you are!

It was interesting that Ben asked the date and wanted to confirm the year was 2005.

SMOKE MONSTER: awesome. Agreed-- looked like a ghost freight train. Why didn't it kill what's-his-face, the captain guy, shown in next week's previews? If that guy survived, did any of the other mercs?

JACOB/HURLEY/LOCKE: I find it sad/strange that Locke's first instinct is to point a gun at Hurley. Why not ask Hurley to stay with him and Ben long enough to find the cabin? Only point the gun if Hurley refuses. It's either bad writing or Locke is on a slippery slope. He didn't NEED to threaten Hurley, and he didn't need to kill Naomi.

SAYYID: Okay, now we know why he's working with Ben. But why did Widmore kills Sayyid's wife? Unless... BEN killed Sayyid's wife. The only proof we have of Widmore's complicity in her death is Ben's word.

p.s. Bummer about Penny being in Ben's sights.

JACK, ILLNESS, OCEANIC SIX: Okay, we see real proof of why he HAS to leave the island (and the castaways) behind, and I think whomever said Jack may be rescued in lieu of Claire may be on to something. Also, Faraday flat-out said, "we're not going to rescue you." I think there's some compelling reason that that Widmore WON'T let people off the island, but the Lostaways find leverage to strike a bargain to remove six.

BEN, 2005, EXITING THE ISLAND: Apparently, there's WAY more possibility for time flux than we realized during exits and entrances.

It looks to me like within Ben's secret room you can exit the island to other points on the earth, which explains the polar bears, and the polar bear bones in the Tunisian desert. We were shown nothing of that room except its primitive-looking entrance door (which operated by hydraulics).

This reminds me of this completely crazy theory a friend sent me a while ago about the Island being on an alternate moon orbiting Earth out of phase (or something), but still captured in the same gravitational well. He calculated 6 points where an orbit would intersect earth's surface. What's funny is that several of these points have appeared in the show SINCE he posted the theory, lending it some credence. Ben's exit into the Sahara is yet more proof for the theory.

Here's a synopsis, here's the original theory in all its compulsive glory, and here's various corroborating evidence.

I think some variant of this will turn out to be the underlying mechanics explaining what's going on in Lost. There's a lot here I don't buy (his explanation of Smokey), but I think he's in the right ballpark, and the more the show reveals, the more he looks like he's close.

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by HaveFunExpectToWin View Post
    The lighting in the Ben vs Widmore scene was very interesting. Each of them had half of their faces lit and half in shadow. Was this showing that they are similarly made up of both good and evil, or that they are opposites? with Ben the Yin to Widmore's Yang.

Ben could easily have killed Naomi to get Sayid to turn hitman, but that doesn't seem quite right. I have no idea, why Widmore would have killed Naomi however. Neither scenario makes a ton of sense. Another option?
    Two things: Sayid's wife is NADIA, not Naomi. Naomi is the quasi-paramilitary chick killed by Locke in last season's finale because she was contacting the boat. Nadia was allegedly killed by Widmore's folks.

Very confusing to have two characters with names so similar, both murdered.

Next, the black/white thing parses well with the theory I outlined above.
    Last edited by alteran; 04-25-2008 at 10:58 AM. Reason: quasi substituted for pseudo-- it's all Greek to me

Quote Originally Posted by alteran View Post
    Two things: Sayid's wife is NADIA, not Naomi. Naomi is the quasi-paramilitary chick killed by Locke in last season's finale because she was contacting the boat. Nadia was allegedly killed by Widmore's folks.

Very confusing to have two characters with names so similar, both murdered.

Next, the black/white thing parses well with the theory I outlined above.
    In my head I was typing Nadia. Whoops.

Quote Originally Posted by Udaman View Post
    2) Where are the original Others? We haven't seen them all season.
    Ben sent them to "the temple" when he took off to intercept Jack et al. on their way to the antenna.

this is the same place that he directed his daughter, rousseau, and carl for safety.

Quote Originally Posted by blublood View Post
    I also don't think that Ben called the smoke monster from the hidden room in the hidden room.
    The only thing that made me think he called it was how he knew it was coming and new how to act in its presence... he also knew that the losties wouldn't be harmed by it and could go outside safely...

Many thoughts and questions--

1) I need to go back and look at what Ben looked like every time we saw him in this episode. The times he was on the island, he was beaten up and bruised in his face. He did not have similar bruises when he was in 2005 chatting with Sayid. My first thought when Ben ran off into the secret closet was that he was time traveling to the Tunisian desert, but I don't think that works because Ben looked so different in the two locations. I do think he teleported/time-traveled there but not directly from his secret room

2) I know a lot of folks are speculating that Ben killed Nadia, but I do not buy that. Ben showed up at the hotel in Tunisia and saw Sayid on the TV complaining about the media hounding him and saying "I just want to bury my wife." Ben may have arranged for the killing, but he did not do it himself. Still, it was impossible not to note and enjoy Ben's smile after getting Sayid to be his hit man.

3) The Doctor is fine?!?!!? I am betting that the doc dies in the future and then floats to the island. Communications from the island to the outside world clearly are influenced by time travel.

4) Smokey returns and kicks some butt!! I guess Ben called him, but I am betting Ben did a lot more than that when he went into his closet compartment.

5) Ben's conversation with Charles Whitmore. Clearly, this was the most important moment in the show. These guys know each other well. "The rules" matter a lot to them. I am betting that Ben and Charles both know how to look into the future (or have looked into the future at some point) and in Ben's version of the future, Ben's daughter did not die. Now we have Ben going after Penny! I predict at some point we see Sayid ready to pull the trigger on some unknown female target only to see Desmond holding hands with that target!

I need to watch some key moments from this one again, that's for sure. I also feel like we are getting very close to some answers to some questions.

--Jason "what a wonderful show!" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Now we have Ben going after Penny! I predict at some point we see Sayid ready to pull the trigger on some unknown female target only to see Desmond holding hands with that target!
    Sayid has already seen Desmond's picture of Penny, hasn't he?

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Sayid has already seen Desmond's picture of Penny, hasn't he?
    Yeah, but I am not sure he would recognize her right away from just seeing her picture once. I could buy him not knowing her until he saw Desmond too.

--Jason "I am not sure about this because I think, in the end, Ben will be a good guy (sorta)" Evans

Lost...

Quote Originally Posted by Udaman View Post
    Holy smokes. That...just rocked.

We got some answers, but so many questions as well.

Things I'm not convinced of:

1) When Ben went in the room that he called the smoke - I think he might have teleported to the desert where we saw him during the flashes.

2) That the bad guy killed Nadia. It could have been Ben.

Big questions I have:

1) Why can't Ben kill Charles?
    2) Why is Charles having nightmares?
    3) What were the rules that got changed? Is this all some game?

And this isn't even touching the fact that Ben's daughter got killed.

The acting on this show is just superb - everyone knocked it out of the park today. Now we get the big showdown - Ben hunting for Penny, Charles hunting for the island. Jack wanting to get back (why, I'm not sure), and the question of what happened to everyone not included in the Final 6 (and why they don't tell anyone about what really happened).

Man, just awesome. Is it next Thursday yet?

1) I don't think that Ben was teleported to the Sahara from the room last night, it seems hard to imagine, and for what purpose would he do that? I think he gets teleported closer to the end of the season.
    2) I could see Ben being the one who killed Nadia (or at least had her killed)

Did we learn that Ben can't kill Charles? I mean, it seems as if all of this could be a game, or that he wants Charles to suffer before he dies (by watching his daughter die).

I think Charles is having nightmares because of something that is haunting him, probably something that we wouldn't expect.

My first thoughts about "the rules being changed" were that Charles and Ben were at war, but respected each other. No cheap shots, etc. It seems as though Ben was just as stunned to find out the rules had changed as he was that he caused his daughters death.

I don't think that everybody is rescued at the same time either, I predict that all 6 find different ways off the island, one at a time.

Jacob

why is Jacob so important?