Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chris Paul

Chris Paul

I remember when he played at Wake and he was an excellent player. That said, I never, ever thought that he would become a superstar in the NBA. Boy was I wrong !!!

Congrats to one terrific ball player!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NYC Duke Fan View Post
    I remember when he played at Wake and he was an excellent player. That said, I never, ever thought that he would become a superstar in the NBA. Boy was I wrong !!!

Congrats to one terrific ball player!!!!!
    Really? This is not like Boozer's situation - 2nd round draft pick to superstar. Many people thought Paul might declare after his freshman year, and there was quite a bit of talk about how "low" he went in his draft at #4.

Edit: According to his website, Paul was also an All-American in both years at Wake.

Important note: Paul is a dirty player. Maybe he doesn't pull any dirty tricks anymore, but after what he did to Julius Hodge I'll never like for him or pull for a team he is on. In fact I'll do the exact opposite. As a guy, hitting a guy in the balls is just unforgivable except in extreme situations, and no basketball game is ever extreme enough to warrant that. If you're going to hit someone in the heat of the moment, at least have the respect for yourself and your opponent to hit him in the face!

I thought it was funny that he did that, and I was happy b/c Hodge was a mega I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.hole who thought he was the shiznit!

Paul

No doubt I lost major respect for him after that incident. (I had so much respect for him after the 61 point game). That said, he was only in college so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt rather than completely rule him a punk. But make no mistake, for the remainder of his college career, I had almost no respect for the guy. Also I might be wrong but I seem to remember a couple of scuffles with Duke and in particular Redick.

Quote Originally Posted by jma4life View Post
    No doubt I lost major respect for him after that incident.
    And... that's a lot of the reason that the Patrick Davidson legend will live forever

Quote Originally Posted by jma4life View Post
    But make no mistake, for the remainder of his college career, I had almost no respect for the guy.
    All 3 games? But I agree, whatever respect I had for that guy, I have none right now.

Quote Originally Posted by bludev03 View Post
    I thought it was funny that he did that, and I was happy b/c Hodge was a mega I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.hole who thought he was the shiznit!
    Hodge was a funny guy, and I always liked him. Come on, how can you hate this guy?

Quote after the groin-punch: "At first, I just wanted to find out if I could still have children. Once I figured out I could have children, it was all good."

Angry

Yeah, I love Julius "seeking stardom from Harlem" or whatever it was he said. His personality reminded me a lot of Chris Carawell, lots of off-the-cuff wisecracks, etc.

I never liked Chris Paul, but it's not suprising that he's an All-Star. I never really thought that the 61 point thing was that impressive. It's impressive that he scored 61 (maybe, he was so much better than anyone else in high school) but it doesn't take incredible character to have grief. Everyone feels loss--saints and punks. He was such a crybaby over the Patrick Davidson thing, and that groin punch to Hodge was inexcusable.

I have always thought that Paul was the most talented dirty player I have seen in the ACC. I never liked him, but I am not surprised at his success; you don't have to be nice to be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    He was such a crybaby over the Patrick Davidson thing, and that groin punch to Hodge was inexcusable.
    Was and is: I heard him speak about a month ago (it was an informal, post-game thing) and when asked about K he brought up the Davidson thing and complained about it. I guess he's still not over it...

That being said, he is a great player. Very talented, and the way the NBA officiates (particularly the hand-check rule) suits his game perfectly. Still can't bring myself to like him though...

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Important note: Paul is a dirty player. Maybe he doesn't pull any dirty tricks anymore, but after what he did to Julius Hodge I'll never like for him or pull for a team he is on.
    hodge deserved it....i lost a big dinner on that chump....acc player of the year indeed...

What does it say about a player who's own nba coach calls him out on his signing day by asking him.. "don't they have a weight room at state?"...and then, later calls in the code red on hodge and mysteriously, hodge gets shot...hodge needs to be sittiing BEHIND forte and mcbob on the D-league bus...

i'm not saying...i'm just sayin...

Great game

Hornets beat Mavs and win series 4-1

Chris Paul's line for the night:
    24 pts 11 rebs 15 assists 0 turnovers

He is just amazing to watch; really controls the game.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post

I never cared for Chris Paul... my only consolation was that Coach Prosser recruited him and liked him (I think?). But, he is an amazing NBA player... Maybe his style didn't quite work in college, but he's thriving in the league... gotta give him his due props...

p.s. thanks to Chris, we have the "Patrick Davidson Legend"

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post

Still a punk.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Beem View Post
    Still a punk.
    "Hear, hear!"

Paul has outperformed even his high draft status -- he's not just an all-star, he is a flat-out, game dominating superstar. He has as good a case for MVP as Lebron and Kobe, and he is actually younger than Lebron. He has elevated a team with no expectations to a legit championship contender. Very similar to Isiah Thomas at his peak -- a small man who can impose his will on the game.

i thought he was really good in college, but i also thought he didn't put all he had into his final game with wake (sending them home from the tourny) BECAUSE the NBA was looming large...

he looked liked he could not care less about wake.

Next Round

Parker vs. Paul is going to be a delight to watch.

I was reading Bill Simmons' chat yesterday and someone made the point that two of the best four players in the league are from Wake Forest. He might be right.

I think you'd have to say Kobe and LeBron are 1 -2. I think there is a good argument that Paul and Duncan are 3-4, with maybe Howard or Garnett 5th. With either one, that would make a nice starting 5.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

In just a few short minutes Patrick Davidson did to Paul what nobody in the NBA seems to be able to do - destroy his cool. The laughable part was that Paul initiated all the contact! Why hasn't an NBA team picked up Mr. Davidson? He's the Paul-buster!

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    Parker vs. Paul is going to be a delight to watch.

I was reading Bill Simmons' chat yesterday and someone made the point that two of the best four players in the league are from Wake Forest. He might be right.
    ...and Josh Howard is just a toke or two away from that level.