Talking Episode IV: A New Hope

Watching the spring football game yesterday, I thought up the above gem of a thread title analogy!

Having Coach Cut and staff at Duke really does bring a new hope, a new level of expectations and, dare I say it, optimism! I think it is well justified. The players are certainly re-energized by the entire situation, the play, especially defensively, looked worlds' better, with quicker response, crisper hitting and far more sure tackling. Even the cornerbacks lined up tight to the line of scrimmage covering the wideouts! Vince Oghobaase, Rey Vincent and Mike Tauiliili all had big hits and very solid games, as did most of the defensive players!

I was originally dismayed by the conservative offensive performance, and said so to many yesterday, but then this morning I read that the play calling was intentionally "bland", so as not to tip off the competition next fall to our new schemes. I'll buy into that strategy and not disparage the offensive performance. The QBs are still learning the new offense, as are the other players. 19 practices is certainly not enough to become proficient at it. Even NFL offenses typically struggle when new head coach and offensive coordinator bring in a totally revamped scheme.

I thought Thad Lewis threw the ball well, and even though the stats show Zack had a better game throwing, Thad is clearly well ahead in the race to be our starter. Note to FDA: Thad is #1, Zack is #2. The competition will surely continue in the fall, and Sean Renfree may well enter into the decision process once he is on campus and practicing, but for now Thad will lead us. One thing that did inhibit Zack's performance yesterday was the "no touch" rule on the QB's. Each time Zack scrambled, the whistle blew as soon as a defender touched him, even if it looked as though Zack would have eluded the tackle. Of course, with the defense playing touch football with him, that's hard to know for sure. Zack did seem frustrated by the quick whistles (without seeing his face, just his "body demeanor" from the stands).

Our kicking game performed as requested yesterday. Compared to the last several years, that is a tremendous improvement! We kicked a short FG and made both extra points. The punters, especially Kevin Jones, who had punts of 49 and 51 yards and averaged 46.4 on 5 punts, several into the brisk wind, did well. Had this happened last year, Ted Roof would probably still be coach this year.

Yes, I definitely remain our "paradigm of optimism" for Duke football. Luke and Han, we await the 2008 season!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

The kicking game is back!

At least punting that is. The Jones kid can boom the football.

I think Zack is more composed in the pocket and doesn't have happy feet and doesn't exhibit any signs of mishandling snaps. I really don't think that Thad is that far ahead of Zack at this point. Nice too see the competition at a position Cut is an expert in developing.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Watching the spring football game yesterday, I thought up the above gem of a thread title analogy!

Having Coach Cut and staff at Duke really does bring a new hope, a new level of expectations and, dare I say it, optimism! I think it is well justified. The players are certainly re-energized by the entire situation, the play, especially defensively, looked worlds' better, with quicker response, crisper hitting and far more sure tackling. Even the cornerbacks lined up tight to the line of scrimmage covering the wideouts! Vince Oghobaase, Rey Vincent and Mike Tauiliili all had big hits and very solid games, as did most of the defensive players!

I was originally dismayed by the conservative offensive performance, and said so to many yesterday, but then this morning I read that the play calling was intentionally "bland", so as not to tip off the competition next fall to our new schemes. I'll buy into that strategy and not disparage the offensive performance. The QBs are still learning the new offense, as are the other players. 19 practices is certainly not enough to become proficient at it. Even NFL offenses typically struggle when new head coach and offensive coordinator bring in a totally revamped scheme.

I thought Thad Lewis threw the ball well, and even though the stats show Zack had a better game throwing, Thad is clearly well ahead in the race to be our starter. Note to FDA: Thad is #1, Zack is #2. The competition will surely continue in the fall, and Sean Renfree may well enter into the decision process once he is on campus and practicing, but for now Thad will lead us. One thing that did inhibit Zack's performance yesterday was the "no touch" rule on the QB's. Each time Zack scrambled, the whistle blew as soon as a defender touched him, even if it looked as though Zack would have eluded the tackle. Of course, with the defense playing touch football with him, that's hard to know for sure. Zack did seem frustrated by the quick whistles (without seeing his face, just his "body demeanor" from the stands).

Our kicking game performed as requested yesterday. Compared to the last several years, that is a tremendous improvement! We kicked a short FG and made both extra points. The punters, especially Kevin Jones, who had punts of 49 and 51 yards and averaged 46.4 on 5 punts, several into the brisk wind, did well. Had this happened last year, Ted Roof would probably still be coach this year.

Yes, I definitely remain our "paradigm of optimism" for Duke football. Luke and Han, we await the 2008 season!
    Thanks for the report, Ozzie!!!! Glad to hear from those who were there.

All the articles I've read about the game suggest that their is something going on at Wally Wade that hasn't happened in a while. I loved the quotes
    by Vince Oghobaase about the conditioning program and how he felt during the game!!!!

Outstanding!!!

I thoroughly enjoyed the game yesterday. You could just see the players' spirit and energy on the field. Each team was really pumped up and excited to be playing. I honestly wouldn't put much stock into the play calling or individual performances. IMO, the most important aspect of yesterday was the high intensity level and eagerness to compete from start to finish.

This was the start of something special. We are all witnesses.

Thad Lewis will be the best qb in the ACC this season if healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
    I think Zack is more composed in the pocket and doesn't have happy feet and doesn't exhibit any signs of mishandling snaps. I really don't think that Thad is that far ahead of Zack at this point. Nice too see the competition at a position Cut is an expert in developing.
    Thad will be the best qb in the ACC this season if healthy. Zack did seem more comfortable than Zack did in the past, but not more composed than Thad. Zack, who is obviously a first rate player, is still "run first ask questions later". I wish we had the luxury of looking at Zack for a position other than QB. I was only able to stay for the first three quarters yesterday, but I saw two long passes, a wounded duck that should have been intercepted from Zack and an impressive pass on a rope down the sidelines from Thad that unfortunately ended up out of bounds.
    GTHC

Quote Originally Posted by Sixthman View Post
    I was only able to stay for the first three quarters yesterday, but I saw two long passes, a wounded duck that should have been intercepted from Zack and an impressive pass on a rope down the sidelines from Thad that unfortunately ended up out of bounds.
    I had to leave mid 3rd quarter too.

Those 2 passes were the worst and best of what we saw yesterday. Zack's wounded duck absolutely should have been picked off, but they called defensive pass interference on the play so the pick wouldn't have counted anyway.

Thad's pass down the sideline was a definite WOW! moment. The receiver was just barely OB, but if he hung on to it (and I couldn't tell if he did or not) and if he had been in bounds (he wasn't), it was a fabulous all around play. And it was a fabulous throw, inbounds or not. I realize that "just barely OB" is the same as being 5 yards OB, but still, WOW!

9F 9F 9F

Yesterday's game was fun and the atmosphere upbeat. The team's intensity was pervasive. Coach Cutcliffe talked about how well the defense performed... execution was crisp and fast. Tackles looked like tackles should look. Crowd estimates were around 3200 or so.

A sure sign of a major upturn in attendance will be when there are no more sections with unreserved seats!

For those of you who are waiting to see how things go, tickets for individual games go on sale July 21. The dates we especially want to have the stadium filled with Duke Blue are November 8 (NC State) and November 29 (Carolina).

Go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by Sixthman View Post
    Thad will be the best qb in the ACC this season if healthy.
    I share your optimism, but not quite to this degree.

Next season, I will surely agree with this prognostication. But the lessons learned rarely develop so quickly as to escalate a quarterback into that top tier of league QBs.

But I'd love to be wrong...and I usually am.

I am attempting to keep my optimism in check this spring and summer. Last football season was extremely tough for me as I honestly believed we were going to win five or six games. This football season I intend to take the games one at a time starting with James Madison on August 30th.
    Bob Green

Red face

Yeah, it's hard for me to believe anything will be different this year with Duke football. Every year on DBR they act all optimistic about football and point out moral mini-victories in early season losses, and then we wind up 0-11 or 1-10.

Reasons for Optimism and Pessimism

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I am attempting to keep my optimism in check this spring and summer. Last football season was extremely tough for me as I honestly believed we were going to win five or six games. This football season I intend to take the games one at a time starting with James Madison on August 30th.
    Probably even better to take it one play at a time!

I won't be fooled this year because any victory will be gravy, as far as I'm concerned.

There are some reasons to be hopeful--

a. The talent does appear to be better than four years ago -- thanks Ted Roof.

b. I finally concluded that Roof could motivate players but absolutely could not coach X's and O's. His generalship was woeful, although the players were on his side every game. I mean, how many rushes did we have for "one yard?"

c. What Cutcliffe said about the "worst-conditioned Division I team" he had ever seen really does resonate. Maybe it explains these fourth quarter disasters of the past three years.

Anyway, one play at a time.

sagegrouse

Name change

Ozzie, isn't it Vinnie Rey rather than Rey Vincent???
    DukeDevilDeb

Oops

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDevilDeb View Post
    Ozzie, isn't it Vinnie Rey rather than Rey Vincent???
    Yeah, that's the guy.

9F 9F 9F

Yeah, that's the guy.
    Oz, you just fell off the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
    And its nice to see Cutliffe immediately sign a good prospect at QB as well.

I think we can be competitive at recruiting but that other teams are generally going to have more premier players/recruits out in the field in various positions. But QB is a position where if you have a big time player it can make up for having only OK or good players at other positions; not that that's news to anyone. Just sayin I'm glad we brought in a QB coach and glad to see he's already stocking the pond.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Yeah, it's hard for me to believe anything will be different this year with Duke football. Every year on DBR they act all optimistic about football and point out moral mini-victories in early season losses, and then we wind up 0-11 or 1-10.
    If you looked around enough you'd see that even last year there were people saying they thought we'd win 2 games or less.

As for pointing out moral victories, I think that's something you try and do in any sport at any time. Always look at the good and the bad. Even when we were winning bball games early in the season this past year, you still had people saying "we're shooting a lot of 3s." When things are going well you keep doing what you are doing but you also find things to improve on and when things are going poorly you fix whats going wrong but you should also find what you're doing well and try to build on that.

As much as I hate to toss in a, "Yeah, me, too," I agree that the kicking was what most impressed me from the game. The efficiency of the passing game was also most encouraging. While there wasn't much in the way of long bomb passes, I assume they're saving that for September or so. (Also, I may have missed some, since I went to the concessions line for lunch at the start of the second quarter and didn't get back until 5 to go in the 2nd :-) I'm also excited to see what the recruits that they play can do (although that depends on how much they red-shirt; has anybody heard or seen anything on this topic?).

However, I had mixed feelings, in that I wasn't sure whether to be happy that the offense did something or to feel bad that the defense gave something up. And vice-versa for good defensive plays. That's really the problem with intrasquad scrimmages... :-\

M.H.

Rey, Vincent Rey

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    Oz, you just fell off the list.
    Why? I spelled Rey correctly, and I know his number is 31. How many of the other AD candidates can do that? I just had the names in the wrong order. I was thinking dyslexically.

9F 9F 9F