Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 68
  1. #1

    See, now that Office was better

    So much better than last week.

    It largely stayed in the office itself.

    It got away from "crazy Jan," which is good... the Jan/Michael thing was better when she was a smart, sharp woman who was with this schlep and no one really understood why.

    It got us between Jim and Pam. The show was often at its best when we were "insiders," knowing about them seperately. Recently we only have gotten to see them as a "couple," which has kept us outside of everyones favorite relationship. Getting us back into them individually was nice.

    It was subtle in many ways. A fight over parking spots. Michael falling for a dead chair model. Nothing too dramatic, and nothing as stupidly over the top as Schrute Farms Bed and Breakfast.

    So yeah, much improved.

  2. #2
    See, I didn't think it was any better or worse than the first episode back. They were both kinda middling, and Michael was too over the top in both.

    The parking spot stuff was awesome, though.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Winter Park FL
    I too loved the Pam and Jim parts, especially fun was the shoe tying.
    I spit out my drink with what Michael called Oscar. (its a family board so I won't repeat)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Quote Originally Posted by Jfrosh View Post
    I too loved the Pam and Jim parts, especially fun was the shoe tying.
    I spit out my drink with what Michael called Oscar. (its a family board so I won't repeat)
    That was definitely a highlight, as was Michael's reaction when he saw Pam's landlord.

    I thought the episode as a whole was significantly better than last week's, though just decent overall compared to Seasons 2 or 3, and even to the last few episodes before the writers' strike break.

    I haven't made my mind up about the Jim/Pam thing. Of course we all like to see them together, and it is really the only story line that resembles a true story arc, but sometimes I feel they rely on it too much at the expense of comedy. Having them dating other people but really liking each other - while melodramatic - is a lot more fun than them dating. The producers realize this too - I would put the odds at greater than 50/50 that they break up before the season ends, despite the hints that they would be engaged soon.

  5. #5
    It was good, not great in my estimation. I think, for me at least, the show's sort of played itself out. Most of the characters are satirical caricatures and that's the biggest source of humor, more than the situations. They aren't supposed to really develop much, but we know each of them so well by this point that their actions are only funny when their archetypical behavior is pushed to new extremes.

    On the other hand, 30 Rock had me rolling last night. They sometimes pack more jokes into a 2 minute scene on that show than Arrested Development used to do. I have to watch with the DVR on so I can rewind and catch it all. There's just something unexpected and refreshing about all the laugh moments - the writers seem to never accept the cliched punch line.

    "It was all just a big misunderstanding...kind of like the Giuliani campaign."
    "You failed the fireman's exam?" "Yeah. It's totally biased against the Irish!"

  6. #6

    30 Rock

    This show has taken over as my favorite current comedy. Too funny. I'm waiting for It's Always Sunny in Philly to regain it's first and second season form.

    Kenneth: "I don't vote Republican or Democrat. Choosing is a sin, so I always just write in the Lord's name."

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    ← Bay / Valley ↓
    Quote Originally Posted by HaveFunExpectToWin View Post
    Kenneth: "I don't vote Republican or Democrat. Choosing is a sin, so I always just write in the Lord's name."
    "That's Republican. We count those."

    Didn't like The Office, but nothing new for me

    To be Posted by billybreen
    hater!
    There, I preemptively posted for you

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    "That's Republican. We count those."

    Didn't like The Office, but nothing new for me


    There, I preemptively posted for you
    Heh. Well, I didn't love it either, but my objections are rational. Yours came earlier and were wrong.

  9. #9
    I thought the Office last week was hilarious. Come on, the 20 inch plasma? The on fire/flooded apartment? Hunter's song about "making me a man"? That was good stuff.

    Although, I think the funniest moment so far still goes to Tracy Jordan's "Don't Vote" campaign.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    On the other hand, 30 Rock had me rolling last night. They sometimes pack more jokes into a 2 minute scene on that show than Arrested Development used to do. I have to watch with the DVR on so I can rewind and catch it all. There's just something unexpected and refreshing about all the laugh moments - the writers seem to never accept the cliched punch line.
    Even the opening scene of this week's 30 rock was brilliant -- I would love to see a typed script, because each line in the exchange was strong.

    "C-Nor and I had a falling out after I switched to another dojo."

    "It's the same [humidifier] that's keeping Larry King alive."

    "Food Network doesn't have a news show."

    Genius.

    ADD: I'm watching it on DVR right now (did I mention it's snowing here? I'm not finishing friday at work when it's snowing...) and the scroller on the "news announcement" is frickin' hysterical:

    * .. excited about upcoming depression
    * Norad putting cyborgs in charge of Skynet
    * Complicated things happening in Africa
    * Baby Bottle Found on Mars
    * Zombie Spokesman says...

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!
    I'll say this for this week's The Office, one of the best lines of the season was:

    "She said she'd be wearing blue jeans and a black top."

    (looks at woman in flowery-looking dress)

    "I'd give her a 10 for looks and a 3 for her ability to describe herself."
    I almost fell out of my bed laughing at that line.

    Oh, and I loved...
    "Wendy. Hot and juicy redhead."
    And then he ordered from Wendy's and told Dwight to go pick it up. Awesome!

    I do agree that 30 Rock has found a truly special comfort zone. Alec Baldwin's Jack has more really clever/funny lines in five minutes on that show than you will hear in an entire season of most other programs. Baldwin had better win the Best Comedy Actor Emmy this year. He and Steve Carrell have gotten nominated but neither have ever won and that needs to change!

    --Jason "does Rachel Dratch still appear on 30 Rock?" Evans

  12. #12
    Heh heh heh, the 10/3 line was hysterical.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    --Jason "does Rachel Dratch still appear on 30 Rock?" Evans
    Ya know, I haven't seen her at all lately. That was one of the more fun, random things in the first half of the first season (did it last more than the first 4-5 epis?)

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Quote Originally Posted by Ignatius07 View Post
    I haven't made my mind up about the Jim/Pam thing. Of course we all like to see them together, and it is really the only story line that resembles a true story arc, but sometimes I feel they rely on it too much at the expense of comedy. Having them dating other people but really liking each other - while melodramatic - is a lot more fun than them dating. The producers realize this too - I would put the odds at greater than 50/50 that they break up before the season ends, despite the hints that they would be engaged soon.
    See, I think it's the best written couple that's actually together that I've see in a TV comedy in a long time. There's lots of subtle hints how they aren't necessarily perfect for each other (see Jim's reaction to Pam staying up all night to help with the graphics for the commercial or Jim willing to bail on her at Michael's party, or Pam trying to exclude Jim from the "high Society Club" or whatever it was called).

    But they seem to get past all that. I dunno, I just see a lot in their interaction that seems much more "real life" to me than a Ross/Rachel or any of the relationships in How I met Your Mother. I like that they are letting them be a couple without fabricating any conflict to drive the main plot of the show, which of course, is the Office, not Pam and Jim (this is different than the BBC series!!).

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    See, I think it's the best written couple that's actually together that I've see in a TV comedy in a long time. There's lots of subtle hints how they aren't necessarily perfect for each other (see Jim's reaction to Pam staying up all night to help with the graphics for the commercial or Jim willing to bail on her at Michael's party, or Pam trying to exclude Jim from the "high Society Club" or whatever it was called).

    But they seem to get past all that. I dunno, I just see a lot in their interaction that seems much more "real life" to me than a Ross/Rachel or any of the relationships in How I met Your Mother. I like that they are letting them be a couple without fabricating any conflict to drive the main plot of the show, which of course, is the Office, not Pam and Jim (this is different than the BBC series!!).
    Amen to all this. I'll give up on the Office at the point where they resort to injecting conflict into the Jim/Pam thing. That's lazy writing, and I'm proud of the show for being above that.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    ← Bay / Valley ↓
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    Pam trying to exclude Jim from the "high Society Club" or whatever it was called
    Finer Things Club. That's what we call our AIM chat logs at work. If HR reads any of our logs, we'd all be fired several times

  17. #17
    Sweet criminy, that Office was fantastic, and 30 Rock was transcendental. Great night of TV from NBC.

  18. #18
    NBC brought to you by General ...oh my colors are showing. Have it on DVR won't get to it until tomorrow

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    The Birmingham of the North
    Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    Sweet criminy, that Office was fantastic, and 30 Rock was transcendental. Great night of TV from NBC.
    Great descriptor for 30 Rock. It had powers.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Yadkinville NC
    I found the Office last night to be hilarious again. Ryan with a drug problem, going crazy at the club. I tried watching 30 Rock last night for the first time after reading y'alls comments on here, and thought it was pretty funny as well. I still find Tina Fey to be just freakin gorgeous, so I may continue to watch. Do any of you watch Scrubs by chance? Last nights episode was again hilarious.

Similar Threads

  1. The Office is M*A*S*H reincarnate?
    By knights68 in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-13-2007, 08:43 PM
  2. Office for Mac
    By JDSBlueDevl in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-21-2007, 01:26 PM
  3. Best Office Prank
    By DevilAlumna in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-21-2007, 05:50 AM
  4. Box office (Die Hard)
    By Olympic Fan in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-07-2007, 12:28 AM
  5. Box office summer numbers are down
    By Chard in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-05-2007, 02:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •