Thread: Football update

Football update

Some notes from today's presser.

Spring game at 1 Saturday. Admission free of charge. Duke has divided into two teams and will play an actual game, 4 ten-minute quarters. Other than reduced kicking, everything will be just like a real game.

Lots of other stuff prior to the game.

DC really wants a good turnout Saturday. Sends a message.

Cutcliffe said injuries had reduced team to 64 healthy bodies.

DC praised the team's focus, effort, and hunger to win. Said that Duke never had to restart a drill because someone wasn't paying attention or giving their best effort.

Concerns? Consistency and depth. Special teams still not where they need to be and DC left no doubt that the incoming freshmen would figure in the mix next fall. "Better but still not good enough."

Duke working hard on conditioning. Without mentioning previous staffs, he left no doubt that he wants his team to be quicker, leaner, and better conditioned. Said that the offensive line alone has lost 51% of its body fat since the beginning of the spring season. The entire team has lost 400 pounds.

Offensive line? Would not discuss Goldberg any more than yesterday's press release. Schirman has been hurt much of the spring but DC went out of his way to praise Morgan, Holt, and Lederman for their improvement this spring.

DC is concerned about lack of depth in the secondary. Look for some freshmen to move into the depth chart real early. He thinks Duke has a pretty good front seven but could use more depth. Mentioned Marcus Jones as a player showing improvement.

DC recruited/developed 18 NFL players to Mississippi and expects to do the same at Duke.

He had one comment that I think may well sum up his approach. "We're going to have fun working hard."

Several players were available for interviews but I had a prior committment and had to leave

Great recap, Jim. If I did not live in Massachusetts, I would be there on Saturday. In a heartbeat.

I'll be there. Thanks for the update Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by SlimSlowSlider View Post
    Great recap, Jim. If I did not live in Massachusetts, I would be there on Saturday. In a heartbeat.
    Come on down in the fall! We'll make a place for you at our pre game festivities. If you can get to only one game, make it November 29. GTHCGTH!

I haven't found comments on the Spring game. I found comments about Coach but not the action on the field, so if there is one excuse me If i've posted this out of place.

What stuck out to me was the GANG TACKLING! The past 4 years i saw a lot of arm tackling which will not stop a D-1 back, but they tackled in groups yesterday which was wonderful.

"I saw a number of big hits, but I want to see more of it,'' Cutcliffe said. "We need to become more physical. "

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/1043536.html
    He also said that you win championship on defense, which I've always believed as well. That is a very positive change.

Then, two weeks ago, Duke football coach David Cutcliffe switched the 5-foot-10, 185-pound sophomore to running back -- right out of the blue.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/1043536.html
    Another "big time" move. Big plays have been few and far between and this moved paid off with the 75 yard run. And i saw punts of more then 35 yards...

We have a lot to look forward to next year