Women's Basketball recruits

Does anyone know who will be coming to Duke next year?

Any recruits on the horizon for 2009 ?
    Last edited by NYC Duke Fan; 04-16-2008 at 05:49 AM. Reason: spelled horizon wrong

Quote Originally Posted by NYC Duke Fan View Post
    Does anyone know who will be coming to Duke next year?

Any recruits on the horizon for 2009 ?
    According to HoopGurlz.com which is generally considered the authority on women's hoops:

Code:
    Name	        Pos	 HT/PPG
    Shay Selby	PG	5'9"/15
    Kathleen Scheer	G	6'2"/20.5
    Chelsea Hopkins	PG	5'6"/

http://hoopgurlz.com/players/committed/2008/399
    Shelby and Kathleen are listed as 5 stars while Chelsea is a 4 star

Exclamation

Thanks

Wow looking at the 2008 recruiting class rankings on HoopGurlz; Tennessee bringing in 5 McDonald's All-Americans!

Are we bringing in any Mcdonald's AAs?

I'd love to see a big.. we could use a little more muscle

P is not, and never will be, the recruiter that G was

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus09 View Post
    Are we bringing in any Mcdonald's AAs?
    No! It's the first time in the history of the McD game that Duke didn't have any recruits...

Quote Originally Posted by godukecom View Post
    That is a strong criticism and broad generalization about a coach at Duke for less than one year! I could have said the same thing about K vs Bill Foster in 1981 and that kind of worked out.

Your're right. Guess we'll just have to wait, hope that she's another coach G and see. Time will tell.

P has publicly stated that her least favorite part of coaching is recruiting, and leaves that up to the assistant coaches. I'm not trying to be overly negative, but it's hard to agree that P will have as much recruiting success as G did, considering a potential recruit will not see her face until they sign, wheras Geno, Pat, G, Stringer, etc will be meeting with that same recruit face-to-face from the beginning.

I hope P proves me wrong. I really do.

P has publicly stated that her least favorite part of coaching is recruiting, and leaves that up to the assistant coaches. I'm not trying to be overly negative, but it's hard to agree that P will have as much recruiting success as G did, considering a potential recruit will not see her face until they sign, wheras Geno, Pat, G, Stringer, etc will be meeting with that same recruit face-to-face from the beginning.

I hope P proves me wrong. I really do.
    Just my opinion, but I'd bet that most coaches, if they would be candid and honest, would tell you that recruiting is their least favorite part of the coaching job. She was just candid enough to say it. Just because it is her least favorite activity doesn't mean she won't do it and do it well. Let's give her a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Just my opinion, but I'd bet that most coaches, if they would be candid and honest, would tell you that recruiting is their least favorite part of the coaching job. She was just candid enough to say it. Just because it is her least favorite activity doesn't mean she won't do it and do it well. Let's give her a chance.
    I am sure you are right that many coaches are not particularly fond of recruiting (although there are obviously some who are). Here is what we know about McCallie. She has publicly stated that she "hates" recruiting. She apparently places the bulk of responsibilities in the hands of her assistants. She has only signed one McDonalds AA in her career, a guard from her own backyard in Lansing, MI. Because McCallie has a long track record as a head coach (including seven years at Michigan State), speculation about her ability and desire to recruit is not unwarranted. If McCallie is going to take Duke to the "next level' with her own players, then she is going to have to become a better and more aggressive recruiter. I cannot imagine anyone arguing with that fact.

Quote Originally Posted by JG Nothing View Post
    I am sure you are right that many coaches are not particularly fond of recruiting (although there are obviously some who are). Here is what we know about McCallie. She has publicly stated that she "hates" recruiting. She apparently places the bulk of responsibilities in the hands of her assistants. She has only signed one McDonalds AA in her career, a guard from her own backyard in Lansing, MI. Because McCallie has a long track record as a head coach (including seven years at Michigan State), speculation about her ability and desire to recruit is not unwarranted. If McCallie is going to take Duke to the "next level' with her own players, then she is going to have to become a better and more aggressive recruiter. I cannot imagine anyone arguing with that fact.
    +1
    I agree 100%

Although indoor66 is right to say that this should not be a point to make or break P's career at duke until we give her a chance.

I am merely expressing my concerns that P had much trouble recruiting talent at MSU, and I am worried that this trend will continue at Duke.

Duke is a little

easier place to recruit to than East Lansing, IMO. Give P a chance...from what I can tell, she has turned recruiting over to her assistants no more than any other major university head coach. To say otherwise is say that you know what Geno, Pat, Brenda, etc. do (and Joanne too I guess) and unless you're Shannon Perry or an assistant at UConn I don't think you know for sure enough to say this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Inonehand View Post
    easier place to recruit to than East Lansing, IMO. Give P a chance...from what I can tell, she has turned recruiting over to her assistants no more than any other major university head coach. To say otherwise is say that you know what Geno, Pat, Brenda, etc. do (and Joanne too I guess) and unless you're Shannon Perry or an assistant at UConn I don't think you know for sure enough to say this stuff.
    Fair enough. I know no more than you (or anyone else who has no inside 'connections') does.

But i have always heard the stories from Recruit's families about how good of a first impression K made, and I think it is fair to say that the head coach making a house call has more of an effect than an assistane. Whether or not Pat, geno, gail, etc make the first house call, i cannot say. But i do know that K does, and he is a damn good recruiter.

Just my opinion, but I'd bet that most coaches, if they would be candid and honest, would tell you that recruiting is their least favorite part of the coaching job.
    Roy? He can definitely recruit. But does he have the sense to maybe call a timout when his team goes down by 30 points?

Comparatively speaking, Coach P does not have a recruiting record to stack up to the "elite" recruiters. She would freely admit that, I'd imagine. It's indisputable.

Will that change? We shall see.

But Coach McCallie has made no bones about the fact that she prioritizes other aspects of her job over recruiting.

Here are two quotes from McCallie from May 2007, just after she was hired by Duke:

“Recruiting-wise, [the assistants are] completely in charge of the organizational structure,” McCallie says. “I advise them, of course. But they’re the head coaches of recruiting, and they’re really working at it daily and wanting me to play my role. So in recruiting we switch hats a little bit.”
    “I obviously have a family and a life, and like to have a balanced life as much as I can,” she says. “But when the student-athletes are on campus, or sitting in their homes, I absolutely love recruiting. When I’m on the phone, I make the best of that. But the ridiculous text message, out-of-control-e-mails or out-of-control-phone calls, to me that part of it, it’s okay. But I like the inter-personal part; I like the natural part of getting to know people in person.”

As Coach Cut likes to say it helps going into a recruits home with a Duke Education in your back pocket. Coach P has never recruited with that.

That is a strong criticism and broad generalization about a coach at Duke for less than one year! I could have said the same thing about K vs Bill Foster in 1981 and that kind of worked out.
    I agree. Give her a chance and I'll bet everyone will be surprised. I'm impressed with her passion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Corey View Post
    Comparatively speaking, Coach P does not have a recruiting record to stack up to the "elite" recruiters. She would freely admit that, I'd imagine. It's indisputable.

Will that change? We shall see.

But Coach McCallie has made no bones about the fact that she prioritizes other aspects of her job over recruiting.

Here are two quotes from McCallie from May 2007, just after she was hired by Duke:
    Thanks for posting this comment:

But the ridiculous text message, out-of-control-e-mails or out-of-control-phone calls, to me that part of it, it’s okay. But I like the inter-personal part; I like the natural part of getting to know people in person.”
    I had posted that this is the part of her quite that always gets left off, but I deleted it when I saw your post. i think everyone is jumping too hard on her 3-4 year old comment and overlooking her more recent ones because it doesn't fit the point they are trying to make.