Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2008 Masters

2008 Masters

Right now Vegasinsider.com has Tiger at 7/5 to win and the entire rest of the field at 9/2. On one hand that is unbelievable, on the other hand would you take the field versus Tiger?
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    Right now Vegasinsider.com has Tiger at 7/5 to win and the entire rest of the field at 9/2. On one hand that is unbelievable, on the other hand would you take the field versus Tiger?
    I would take the field at those odds. Tiger is 1 for his last 5 and 3 for 11. 4.5 to 1 on the field seems pretty good to me.

I'd like to see Tiger win but 9/2 on the field? Amazing.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

I would take Tiger. I saw his interview with Scott Van Pelt on ESPN - his confidence in himself and his game is unshakable.

As for second place - I think Vijay has been playing well lately.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

I asked a friend earlier today about Tiger vs. the field. We both thought for a long time before saying we would take Tiger but it was a very close call. I pointed out that Tiger has played in 4 tournaments this year-- and won 3 of them.

Still, 9-to-2 on the rest of the field-- that's crazy odds. Even money is one thing but if you are actually giving 3 or 4 to 1 on the field then you have to take the field. Not even a close call in my mind.

-Jason "I'd say Tiger has about a 60% chance of winning this week, which is absurdly high" Evans

Take Tiger. Anything else is a losing bet.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Are you sure Tiger is 7/5 (bet $5 to win $7) and not 5/7 (bet $7 to win $5)?

Otherwise you can make both bets simultaneously and come out ahead regardless of what happens. For example, bet $10 on both Tiger and the field. If Tiger wins you're ahead $4; if anyone else wins you're ahead $35.

Or thought of more simply, both bets can't be longer than even money, because that equates to greater than a 100% chance for the entire field including Tiger.

I'd say fair odds are even money for either, so forced to make a choice I'd happily take the field.

Maybe we should start a DBR betting pool. Is that legal?

I love Tiger, but for some reason I have a bad feeling about this week. I give him a 30% chance of winning. I look forward to laughing at that prediction on Sunday.

I was able to go the practice round yesterday at Augusta National. I must say, that place ranks right up there with watching a game in Cameron...and I wasn't even there on a Sunday!

Tiger was in the first practice group at 8am with Mark O'Meara and someone else I'd never heard of. He looked relaxed and like he was enjoying playing a casual round with O'Meara. It was great to see the two of them study the greens together and talk about the speeds and breaks the ball will take.

The most fascinating thing I saw from the players was with Vijay Singh and Sean O'Hair. Singh and O'Hair were practicing together and both were taking tons of shots all over the course. However, on holes 15 & 16, Singh began working with O'Hair on his chip/flop shots and short game. To watch Singh land the ball on green and stop it on a dime was incredible, and even more impressive that he was teaching O'Hair. What made it so great was that you could see Singh's skill because O'Hair just simply couldn't do it the same way Vijay was able to. It was almost like Vijay was telling him, "Yeah, that was ok. Now watch this." Both players got a loud applause when they finally left the green.

Augusta National, I could go on all day about that place...

The Masters

Quote Originally Posted by ugadevil View Post
    I was able to go the practice round yesterday at Augusta National. I must say, that place ranks right up there with watching a game in Cameron...and I wasn't even there on a Sunday!

Augusta National, I could go on all day about that place...
    Augusta National, the greenest green on Earth. Simply amazing. It is so green that I couldn't find a color here to write green in that did it justice, so I kept it black.

I've been there on two Sundays (Langer and Olazabol were the winners). Great experience.

9F 9F 9F

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Augusta National, the greenest green on Earth. Simply amazing. It is so green that I couldn't find a color here to write green in that did it justice, so I kept it black.

I've been there on two Sundays (Langer and Olazabol were the winners). Great experience.
    Ozzie,

In my thread about my Master's visit last year, you did come up with a color of green to use.

I say again what I said then-- WOW. If you ever get the chance to visit that place, do it in a heartbeat. It is hallowed ground.

--Jason "still hoping my friend who got me tickets a year ago gives me the call this year!!" Evans

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    I was there on Sunday 2004 for the dual down the strech between Phil and Ernie. I walked the entire course early in the morning and found the slope and undulation of many of the greens to be the most impressive aspect of the course. You simply cannot appreciate on television how severe the slopes are.

I almost played Augusta in 2003 as the guest of a large accounting firm, but was bumped by someone at the top of my food chain. The host/member's job in the firm was essentially to host other partners and their clients at Augusta.

Now that is a job I could love.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Are you sure Tiger is 7/5 (bet $5 to win $7) and not 5/7 (bet $7 to win $5)?

Otherwise you can make both bets simultaneously and come out ahead regardless of what happens. For example, bet $10 on both Tiger and the field. If Tiger wins you're ahead $4; if anyone else wins you're ahead $35.

Or thought of more simply, both bets can't be longer than even money, because that equates to greater than a 100% chance for the entire field including Tiger.

I'd say fair odds are even money for either, so forced to make a choice I'd happily take the field.
    I also wonder whether the "rest of the field" is for everyone but Tiger, or for everyone not listed as an individual option. In other words, Singh wouldn't be included in the rest of the field if he has individual odds (which he probably does). That's always the way I've seen it in the past.

There are a few sporting events that I look forward to all year. When they happen I am usually giddy, and watch all the hype leading up to it, watch the event in its entirety, and then all the post event summations.

For me those events are:

(1) Duke/ Carolina x2
    (2) Daytona 500
    (3) Grand Prix of Monaco
    (4) Ga/ Fla Football
    (5) The Masters

The masters is a little different than Duke/Carolina because of my stake in the latter, but its not far behind. I absolutely love this tournament.

I have had the opportunity to go to several masters rounds, and as a result I find myself making pimento cheese sandwiches, even if I am just sitting around at home and watching.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Ozzie,

In my thread about my Master's visit last year, you did come up with a color of green to use.
    You're right, I did! But even this doesn't do Augusta justice, although it will make you go blind!

9F 9F 9F

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    You're right, I did! But even this doesn't do Augusta justice, although it will make you go blind!

-JE

Quote Originally Posted by steven52682 View Post
    There are a few sporting events that I look forward to all year. When they happen I am usually giddy, and watch all the hype leading up to it, watch the event in its entirety, and then all the post event summations.

For me those events are:

(1) Duke/ Carolina x2
    (2) Daytona 500
    (3) Grand Prix of Monaco
    (4) Ga/ Fla Football
    (5) The Masters

The masters is a little different than Duke/Carolina because of my stake in the latter, but its not far behind. I absolutely love this tournament.

I have had the opportunity to go to several masters rounds, and as a result I find myself making pimento cheese sandwiches, even if I am just sitting around at home and watching.
    Nice list until uggh, #4.

I need some help from all the Masters experts. I'm in a modified Calcutta this year. The way it works is I get 72 "points" to spend on six golfers. I need four to make the cut, and then the low four scores are added up to make my score. The lowest combined score wins.

I've never done anything like this, but it seems like it is going to be a lot of fun. Try putting together a six man "team" and you'll see what I'm talking about. Maybe some of you can start your own games?

Thanks as always!

Woods 18.0
    Mickelson 15.1
    Els 14.9
    Singh 14.7
    Furyk 14.5
    Stricker 14.2
    Furyk 14.5
    Choi 14.0
    Harrington 13.9
    Sabbatini 13.7
    Stenson 13.6
    Garcia 13.5
    Ogilvy 13.5
    Rose 13.4
    Donald 13.3
    Cink 13.2
    Johnson 13.2
    Baddeley 13.1
    Weir 13.0
    Appleby 13.0
    Goosen 12.9
    Verplank 12.9
    Mahan 12.8
    Poulter 12.8
    Clark 12.7
    O'Hair 12.5
    Immelman 12.5
    Allenby 12.5
    Casey 12.3
    Howell III 12.2
    Calcavecchia 12.1
    Villegas 12.0
    Ames 12.0
    Westwood 11.9
    Austin 11.8
    Snedeker 11.7
    Oberholser 11.7
    Toms 11.6
    Jimenez 11.5
    Weekley 11.5
    Rollins 11.5
    Cabrera 11.3
    Watson 11.2
    Taylor 11.1
    O'Hern 11.0
    Romero 10.9
    Slocum 10.9
    Fasth 10.8
    Holmes 10.8
    Dougherty 10.7
    Green 10.7
    Kelly 10.6
    Byrd 10.6
    Senden 10.5
    Hansen 10.5
    Olazabal 10.4
    Taniguchi 10.4
    Karlsson 10.4
    Sterne 10.3
    Katayama 10.3
    Watney 10.2
    Chopra 10.1
    Trahan 10.0
    Flesch 10.0
    Lowery 9.9
    Curtis 9.8
    Campbell 9.8
    Couples 9.7
    Wetterich 9.7
    Hansen 9.5
    O'Meara 9.2
    Milkha 9.2
    Bateman 9.1
    Micheel 9.0
    Woosnam 9.0
    Wagner 8.5
    Langer 7.5
    Marksaeng 7.5
    Liang 7.5
    Watson 7.0
    Hamilton 6.5
    Stadler 6.2
    Crenshaw 6.1
    Mize 6.1
    Weaver 6.0
    Thompson 6.0
    Kuehne 6.0
    Lyle 5.2
    Zoeller 5.0
    Floyd 5.0
    Player 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Nice list until uggh, #4.
    You people in the north just don't understand. In southern schools, they teach us that another reason for the Civil War was the inability of the north to understand the importance of college football in every aspect of life.

Quote Originally Posted by bfree View Post
    I need some help from all the Masters experts. I'm in a modified Calcutta this year. The way it works is I get 72 "points" to spend on six golfers. I need four to make the cut, and then the low four scores are added up to make my score. The lowest combined score wins.

I've never done anything like this, but it seems like it is going to be a lot of fun. Try putting together a six man "team" and you'll see what I'm talking about. Maybe some of you can start your own games?

Thanks as always!

Woods 18.0
    Mickelson 15.1
    Els 14.9
    Singh 14.7
    Furyk 14.5
    Stricker 14.2
    Furyk 14.5
    Choi 14.0
    Harrington 13.9
    Sabbatini 13.7
    Stenson 13.6
    Garcia 13.5
    Ogilvy 13.5
    Rose 13.4
    Donald 13.3
    Cink 13.2
    Johnson 13.2
    Baddeley 13.1
    Weir 13.0
    Appleby 13.0
    Goosen 12.9
    Verplank 12.9
    Mahan 12.8
    Poulter 12.8
    Clark 12.7
    O'Hair 12.5
    Immelman 12.5
    Allenby 12.5
    Casey 12.3
    Howell III 12.2
    Calcavecchia 12.1
    Villegas 12.0
    Ames 12.0
    Westwood 11.9
    Austin 11.8
    Snedeker 11.7
    Oberholser 11.7
    Toms 11.6
    Jimenez 11.5
    Weekley 11.5
    Rollins 11.5
    Cabrera 11.3
    Watson 11.2
    Taylor 11.1
    O'Hern 11.0
    Romero 10.9
    Slocum 10.9
    Fasth 10.8
    Holmes 10.8
    Dougherty 10.7
    Green 10.7
    Kelly 10.6
    Byrd 10.6
    Senden 10.5
    Hansen 10.5
    Olazabal 10.4
    Taniguchi 10.4
    Karlsson 10.4
    Sterne 10.3
    Katayama 10.3
    Watney 10.2
    Chopra 10.1
    Trahan 10.0
    Flesch 10.0
    Lowery 9.9
    Curtis 9.8
    Campbell 9.8
    Couples 9.7
    Wetterich 9.7
    Hansen 9.5
    O'Meara 9.2
    Milkha 9.2
    Bateman 9.1
    Micheel 9.0
    Woosnam 9.0
    Wagner 8.5
    Langer 7.5
    Marksaeng 7.5
    Liang 7.5
    Watson 7.0
    Hamilton 6.5
    Stadler 6.2
    Crenshaw 6.1
    Mize 6.1
    Weaver 6.0
    Thompson 6.0
    Kuehne 6.0
    Lyle 5.2
    Zoeller 5.0
    Floyd 5.0
    Player 5.0
    I take:

Ogilvy 13.5
    Goosen 12.9
    Woosnam 9.0
    Cink 13.2
    Olazabal 10.4
    Appledby 13.0

I'll take
    Woods 18.0
    Mickelson 15.1
    Singh 14.7
    Choi 14.0
    Couples 9.7
    Total 71.5

What can I say; Freddie played well last week.

9F 9F 9F