ATA & Aloha dead

Two companies, one week...

I had purchased a trip to the Big Island with ATA flights. We'll see what Travelocity offers me to replace this, but I'm dreading having to call credit card companies to cancel everything. This sucks, big time.

Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post

I had purchased a trip to the Big Island with ATA flights. We'll see what Travelocity offers me to replace this, but I'm dreading having to call credit card companies to cancel everything. This sucks, big time.
    There's always the SS Minnow.

Angry I know how you feel . . .

. . . it looks like I'll be getting into the same row boat . . .

Quote Originally Posted by mcdukefan View Post
    . . . it looks like I'll be getting into the same row boat . . .
    I think I lucked out because I booked a package Travelocity (after being on hold for 3+ hours, and being transferred twice), and they gave me a full refund ("within 30 days" for some reason...). I booked the exact same package with AA, for about $300 more. Not happy about it, but I guess it could have been worse.

Make that THREE airlines

Never heard of this airlines, but this makes three.

Skybus

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Never heard of this airlines, but this makes three.
    Skybus offered 10 seats on each flight for $10 each plus fees of about $12 added on, and then prices escalated as flights filled up. I have, er, had, reservations on Skybus for May 8th from Greensboro to Ft. Lauderdale and back at $40/seat plus fees each way, total cost for 2 was ~$232. Great deal, or so I thought I did buy trip insurance they offered through AIG, maybe I can get my money back through them. Otherwise, hello Visa?

Thanks for posting that link. I hadn't heard.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

More on Skybus

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I have, er, had, reservations on Skybus for May 8th from Greensboro to Ft. Lauderdale and back
    Skybus had the decency to send me an email about their flight cancellations. That alone is impressive - how many bankrupt companies give a rat's a** about their customers once they are out of business? I'm sorry to see them fail.

Here's the text of what they sent me
    Dear Skybus Customer:

We regret to inform you that Skybus Airlines will cease all operations effective 12:00 a.m. Saturday, April 5. As a result, your Skybus flight has been cancelled.

Skybus will not be processing refunds directly. To arrange for a refund on your reservation, please contact your credit card company directly. If you purchased flight insurance for your reservation, please refer to your insurance confirmation from AIG for information on filing a claim.

9F 9F 9F

Thumbs up My Update

I think I lucked out because I booked a package Travelocity (after being on hold for 3+ hours, and being transferred twice), and they gave me a full refund ("within 30 days" for some reason...). I booked the exact same package with AA, for about $300 more. Not happy about it, but I guess it could have been worse.
    We booked our travel to the west coast on Southwest and they had us on ATA because of their business relationship with them. We spent a little over an hour on the phone with Southwest early Saturday morning. Two agents helped us and they were able to get things straightened out at no additional expense. We are now on a Hawaiian airlines which neat since some of our group have never been to Hawaii. The best part is that we arrive 6 hours eariler (afternoon rather than after sunset) and leave on a late morning flight rather than the first flight out. So, we believe Southwest is still a great way to travel!

Quote Originally Posted by mcdukefan View Post
    We booked our travel to the west coast on Southwest and they had us on ATA because of their business relationship with them. We spent a little over an hour on the phone with Southwest early Saturday morning. Two agents helped us and they were able to get things straightened out at no additional expense. We are now on a Hawaiian airlines which neat since some of our group have never been to Hawaii. The best part is that we arrive 6 hours eariler (afternoon rather than after sunset) and leave on a late morning flight rather than the first flight out. So, we believe Southwest is still a great way to travel!
    You'll also enjoy the hospitality of Hawaiian Airlines.

Unhappy Frontier Airlines restructures

Another one restructures:
    http://www.frontierairlines.com/restructure/

Kind of scary.
    Cheers,
    Lavabe

American is going to crap here at Lambert. They've canceled everything on an MD-80, hundreds of flights. I'm glad my recent and upcoming flights are on Canadairs on Delta.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/bus...E?OpenDocument

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    American is going to crap here at Lambert. They've canceled everything on an MD-80, hundreds of flights. I'm glad my recent and upcoming flights are on Canadairs on Delta.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/bus...E?OpenDocument
    Just got an apology e-mail from American, but fortunately I wasn't traveling at all this week. A coworker had a flight to Beijing canceled today, but I guess that's better than having his flight back canceled.

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    Just got an apology e-mail from American, but fortunately I wasn't traveling at all this week. A coworker had a flight to Beijing canceled today, but I guess that's better than having his flight back canceled.
    True, and better to have a canceled flight than to have the plane crash because of a faulty wiring harness. A lot of p*ssed off people are better than a lot of dead people.

9F 9F 9F

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    True, and better to have a canceled flight than to have the plane crash because of a faulty wiring harness. A lot of p*ssed off people are better than a lot of dead people.
    Oh, don't tell me you're buying into the media-frenzy hype that this is an actual threat that had to be resolved by grounding all flights immediately...

This is the FAA trying to look better on safety inspections, while still trying to wipe the tons of egg on its face for its handling of Southwest inspections. AA had already taken precautionary maintenance steps on its planes (presumably under FAA guidance) yet this week, the FAA claims that those measures weren't enough. Really?? Then why only catch it now? This issue has been known for over 4 years.

Side gripe -- could any news article in any mainstream medium actually talk about what's being fixed/why, without reference to some poor family Schmoe who's stuck at an airport? I think we all get the picture that flights cancelled = passengers getting $cr3wed.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    Oh, don't tell me you're buying into the media-frenzy hype that this is an actual threat that had to be resolved by grounding all flights immediately...

This is the FAA trying to look better on safety inspections, while still trying to wipe the tons of egg on its face for its handling of Southwest inspections. AA had already taken precautionary maintenance steps on its planes (presumably under FAA guidance) yet this week, the FAA claims that those measures weren't enough. Really?? Then why only catch it now? This issue has been known for over 4 years.

Side gripe -- could any news article in any mainstream medium actually talk about what's being fixed/why, without reference to some poor family Schmoe who's stuck at an airport? I think we all get the picture that flights cancelled = passengers getting $cr3wed.
    As I understand it, this round of inspections is a do-over. The FAA order was 18 months ago; American didn't bother until a month a go and then didn't do it right. So this is really the inspection that should have been done right 18 months ago.

Not sure if the FAA is to blame. Seems more like "we don' wanna" from AA.