Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hansbrough's NBA future?

Tripped over this interesting article on ESPN's Page 2 by LZ Granderson:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...nderson/080401

Let's defer the discussion about his points on race to the Public Policy thread, but I have been part of a few conversations about Tyler's future in the NBA recently and haven't been able to make up my own mind. To me, the obviously wrong comparison is Mark Madsen from Stanford - rah-rah nutty white overachiever... IMHO, Tyler is way better than that, and way better than Montross too, but how much better? Could he have a Charles Oakley type of career, or could he even be as good as a Karl Malone?

One guy tried to tell me "He'll be just like Laettner - great college player who stunk in the pros." That argument was wrong on so many levels I didn't even know where to begin, so I just started throwing beer and furniture... (That always works...)

Seriously, if Tyler comes back to UNC next year he'll practically end up re-writing the Tar Heel record books; any thoughts on what his NBA career will look like?

Turk

A better question is: "Does anybody care??"

I don't know if Laettner stunk in the pros...unless that's relative to how good he was in college. He had about 10 decent-good years and made the all-star team.

If Hanbrough can have as much success in the NBA I will be VERY impressed.

One thing I've heard is that he is actually about 6'7" and has short arms. That's not good when playing against 6'10"+ long armed guys who are better athletes (Garnett, Duncan, Bosh, Dirk, Howard, Boozer, etc.).

This will p*ss off some Duke fans, but how about a comparison of Hansblaba to Carlos Boozer? Los was not considered to be athletic enough to succeed at the next level and criticized for playing below the rim. I don' think Hans is as strong as Los or nearly as solid defensively, but that their offensive skills and rebounding are similar.

If he continues to develop his jump shot (and with his work ethic he will) I can see him having a decent NBA career

Laettner didn't really stink in the pros, I think he still averaged 10pts a game for his career and was in the league for 13 years, hardly a complete dud. People also forget that Laettner was productive for the T-wolves his 1st two years there but they shipped him and JR Rider out in favor shaping the team around Kevin Garnett. He was also great his first two years in Atlanta, making the all star team and along with Deke leading the hawks to the playoffs for the 1st time since Nique left the squad. Somewhere Laettner seemed to lose some of his drive during the 3rd season and never really meshed with any team after that. i really wished he had stuck with the Heat one more year for that Championship ring.

Tyler, I dunno. Hard to say how effective he'll be, but he'll try his best. One thing in his favor, they call traveling even less in the NBA than they do in college.

um no

I dont' think you can even talk about comparing hanstravel and boozer. boozer had/has a better array of offensive moves then him. I was reminded of that today when I watched the 2001 championship game and boozer had that sweet up and under move on loren woods. Plus boozer could pick hanstravel up and body slam him into that stupid ping pong table. on a side note boozer could/can also talk in complete sentences...

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    This will p*ss off some Duke fans, but how about a comparison of Hansblaba to Carlos Boozer? Los was not considered to be athletic enough to succeed at the next level and criticized for playing below the rim. I don' think Hans is as strong as Los or nearly as solid defensively, but that their offensive skills and rebounding are similar.

Not me... Carlos was under discussion too. They're both pretty strong, but it seems to me Carlos is / was much more polished offensively. Carlos seems much smoother away from the basket; Beaker's jumper isn't terrible but he seems uncomfortable outside the paint...

Quote Originally Posted by RelativeWays View Post
    Laettner didn't really stink in the pros, I think he still averaged 10pts a game for his career and was in the league for 13 years, hardly a complete dud. People also forget that Laettner was productive for the T-wolves his 1st two years there but they shipped him and JR Rider out in favor shaping the team around Kevin Garnett. He was also great his first two years in Atlanta, making the all star team and along with Deke leading the hawks to the playoffs for the 1st time since Nique left the squad. Somewhere Laettner seemed to lose some of his drive during the 3rd season and never really meshed with any team after that. i really wished he had stuck with the Heat one more year for that Championship ring.

Tyler, I dunno. Hard to say how effective he'll be, but he'll try his best. One thing in his favor, they call traveling even less in the NBA than they do in college.
    You might recall that he has an achilles issue about this time - that took away much of his quickness.

Quote Originally Posted by bbar7502 View Post
    I dont' think you can even talk about comparing hanstravel and boozer. boozer had/has a better array of offensive moves then him.
    I don't see a better offensive move than the "ball-go-in-basket-even-if-you-hit-me-hard" shot that hans has....

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    You might recall that he has an achilles issue about this time - that took away much of his quickness.
    And completely took away Christian's vertical. He continued to play because he understood the game so well and was very good at position and passing. We had him up in Detroit near the end, and the team always played better when he touched the ball. He wasn't that successful here but he did fight with Stackhouse on the Piston's plane. Stackhouse was one of the dumbest living organisms I ever encountered.

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    I don't see a better offensive move than the "ball-go-in-basket-even-if-you-hit-me-hard" shot that hans has....
    But NBA guys are a little bigger...and they probably hit harder. Plus, he would have to take the hits for 82 games...no 4-5 days off between games.

Boozer was amazingly effective using his off hand to score. Heck his left hand is arguably better then his right. I haven't seen Psycho T hit a left-handed hook, turn around or lay-up in 3 years.

This will no doubt get me in big trouble, but . . .

I admire TH. I don't care that he is at UNC. I admire anybody who works hard and makes the most of his, or her, talent.

One of the reasons why I liked JJ so much was because he worked his butt off to become a good ball player. He wasn't just born a good shooter. He developed it year after year by working hard.

TH does the same thing.

Ok, ok, he plays for Carolina. Big deal. I've watched a lot of UNC games and he comports himself well and he plays hard.

I wish him the very best when he goes pro. How will he do as a pro? I don't know. But if he isn't successful, it won't be from a lack of effort.

I watched him during his freshmen year and I can still remember my fellow Duke alums complain "I'd trade Shelden for this kid right now". Shelden's career hasn't really taken off so it's unclear if Hansbrough's will either, but man I just want him to leave.

Folks, Christian had a very good NBA career. He made an All-Star team, and for most of his career, he was good for 16 and 8. Then, that one year, he tore his Achilles, afterwhich he lost some explosiveness and became much more of a role player.

Hansbrough has an unnerving desire to win. He is a winner and though his athleticism - skill is not as good as some of the pros, I believe he has enough skill and athleticism to complement that will power. In my few years of watching college ball I don't remember anyone with his competitive desire, it's actually quite awesome. It's that will power and work ethic that will make him a successful pro, barring injuries. He is the carolina player I most wish had come to Duke. He would have been perfect in the correct shade of blue.

Hansbrough's NBA Future = "Glorified Mark Madsen"

It's a dead on comparison. He's a slightly more skilled Mark Madsen.

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    Even if you hit me hard, Mr Howard?

Come on Moonie, Hansbangs has never, EVER been hit as hard as he will be by the Gentlemen of the National Basketball Association. I, for one, can't wait...sooner or later, Frank's monster will be wondering just what hit him.

And if Carlos needs a slow white chick to watch his back, he's got me. The nerve of anyone calling out Carlos in comparison to tbangs....

Rick Pitino fairly well raved about Hansbrough's pro potential after the UNC-Louisville game. Of course, Rick might not be the best judge of that given his less than stellar tenure in the NBA.