Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    It's hard for a player like King to get time at Duke, because he just isn't going to be a good defensive player, at any position, barring a major change.
    While I agree he has some impressive shooting skills, that's not enough.
    Still, I wish him the best and hope he does well wherever he goes.
    I'm not sure why it's so clear that after only 1 year a player could not become a good defensive player (or at least good enough). If this is true, it seems like it should have been equally clear before we signed him.

If TK really is leaving, I wish him the very best and will be sad about this for some time. I really feel, between the NCAA loss, the recruiting misses and now this, that we've somehow switched places with the D'Oh-era Tarheels, and I'm not quite sure how this has happened

Quote Originally Posted by monkey View Post
    I'm not sure why it's so clear that after only 1 year a player could not become a good defensive player (or at least good enough). If this is true, it seems like it should have been equally clear before we signed him.

If TK really is leaving, I wish him the very best and will be sad about this for some time. I really feel, between the NCAA loss, the recruiting misses and now this, that we've somehow switched places with the D'Oh-era Tarheels, and I'm not quite sure how this has happened
    We've got 11 scholarship players next year.

Quote Originally Posted by freedevil View Post
    Jumbo - you don't see the number of transfers in the past several years plus the number of unhappy players leaving early (I guess just Shavlik and McRoberts) as a problem? At best, it sure sends an odd sign to recruits, in my opinion.
    Is it really that many transfers? And were they really that significant? I never understood why Thompson came here in the first place, when he was clearly the third big man in his own class behind Shelden and Shav. I wasn't shocked at all when he left, and he did nothing at Northwestern. It was disappointing to see Boateng go, but based on what he did at ASU this year, did that hurt much? Boykin left for personal reasons -- he can't go in the same boat.
    Shav played for three years. Maybe he was unhappy with K, but he has never said anything to that effect publicly. Everything has been about an intense desire to play in the NBA which, shockingly, he achieved. If he were really unhappy, you'd think he'd have left Duke before his senior year, right?
    And that brings us to Josh. He could've gone pro out of high school. He never unpacked his bags. We've rehashed enough of the attitude issues already, but that was a bad fit from the beginning. The kid never wanted to be in school.

Is it disturbing to see kids leave? Sure. But, as I said, part of that is to be expected with the increase in scholarships we're giving. The other thing is that transfers aren't new. From Billy McCaffrey to Crawford Palmer to Joey Beard to Mike Chappell to Chris Burgess (you get the drift), players have left for various reasons. It's short-sighted to only focus on the last few years.

4. To put a finer point on it, in the past 7 seasons Sweet, MT, Hump, Boat, Boykin, and now TK all indicated that they were not comfortable at Duke and chose to play college ball (as opposed to jumping to NBA riches) elsewhere. In other words, we're averaging just under one transfer for every season since 2002.

We'll still be very talented, but that stat really makes me uncomfortable about the staff's ability to either a) recruit guys that want to be here or b) to build comfortable relationships with the players that sign up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    Is it disturbing to see kids leave? Sure. But, as I said, part of that is to be expected with the increase in scholarships we're giving. The other thing is that transfers aren't new. From Billy McCaffrey to Crawford Palmer to Joey Beard to Mike Chappell to Chris Burgess (you get the drift), players have left for various reasons. It's short-sighted to only focus on the last few years.
    I totally disagree with your last sentence. It has been worse for Duke, far worse, in the last several years. And no one has been hit like we have. And if you mention UNC, I'll simply point out that they are reloading much better and quicker than we are.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Beem View Post
    We've got 11 scholarship players next year.
    Not sure what your point is.

Jeff Goodman's take

TK thinking of going to Nova or Gonzaga.

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/7...ng-to-transfer

Quote Originally Posted by DevilCastDownfromDurham View Post
    To put a finer point on it, in the past 7 seasons Sweet, MT, Hump, Boat, Boykin, and now TK all indicated that they were not comfortable at Duke and chose to play college ball (as opposed to jumping to NBA riches) elsewhere. In other words, we're averaging just under one transfer for every season since 2002.

We'll still be very talented, but that stat really makes me uncomfortable about the staff's ability to either a) recruit guys that want to be here or b) to build comfortable relationships with the players that sign up.
    Don't put Humphries in there... he never got here and wanted PT and shots/game assurances after signing his letter. Oh, and Duke let him out of his letter to go play at Minnesota, so they were on the high road on that one.

The fact is that K is now going to bring in lots of players and see who can compete for playing time. If people are getting beat out, then they may decide to transfer. Remember, these are 18 and 19 year old kids, and if they feel they'd be better off somewhere else than I can only wish them the best.

That said, I love watching TK and I hope that he stays!!
    WWJDD?

look...EVERYone doesn't work out...one player a year since 2002? that's not terrible..

if Taylor wants to transfer, it's not going to kill Duke BB..

I DO think TK has talent, but he clearly had liabilities on the defensive end. That's not to say with hard work and the JJREDDICKRUNYERASSOFFEVERYSINGLEFREAKINGDAY physical workout plan wouldn't help him get in better shape.

I really like him...i hope he stays...

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    look...EVERYone doesn't work out...one player a year since 2002? that's not terrible..
    I'm not positive of the math, but if that is the average how in the world is that NOT a terrible thing?!!!

I've never seen so much panic on here then during the last few weeks (getting beat out in 2nd round, not geting ech., and now TK transfering).

Honestly, I don't understand all of the worrying. Duke will be much better next year compared to this year, THEY WILL GET A BIG GUY IN 2009 (who knows maybe 2), and Marty will be back last year and everyone will forget about TK leaving. I loved watching Taylor play, but he obviously wasn't a great fit and will be more comfortable elsewhere.

Good luck TK and everyone just settle down.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    I'm not positive of the math, but if that is the average how in the world is that NOT a terrible thing?!!!
    Looking at the names doesn't exactly inspire a ton of regret.

Contrary to some on this thread - I am thinking about Taylor's transfer as part of a larger trend of just odd recruiting choices... Sigh.

I'm guessing with two different reports this is now official. Very sad to see this happen. Taylor seemed like a great kid and I for one would very much have liked to see him stay. I'm guessing playing time was the main issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Simple Jumbo. Name me another national power in college ball that has lost as many players to either transfer, early defection, or other issues (verbal but not coming - i.e. Humphries or Livingston) in the last 5 or so years. No way are we not being hit harder than other programs in this regard. Add to that that we aren't getting some high profile prospects that we've gone hard after recently and I don't know how anything like this isn't a bad sign.

Gary

P.S. I also hadn't heard any rumors about him transferring until tonight, so I'm shocked.
    Give me a specific time period and I'll look. Five years? Is that good? Also, you're recruiting argument is a tad disingenuous. You're right -- we've missed on some high-profile recruits (mostly bigs). On the other hand, we've landed a bunch in the last couple of years. The H.S. class of 2006 has been excellent. Gerald and Jon were both really high-profile recruits, have been fantastic and will both be back for their junior seasons. Zoubs and Lance are still here. Lance was highly recruited. Both have room to improve. Upperclassmen bigs are good to have.

People kind of forgot how good last year's class was because we didn't get that fourth player -- a big. But Kyle was top-5 and was everything we hoped he'd be. We knew Nolan would take a little while to adjust to the PG spot, but he showed more than enough flashes to know he's a keeper. And King was always going to have to fight for minutes with the guys in front of him. It's comperable to Thompson coming in the same class as Shav and Shel.

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by monkey View Post
    We've somehow switched places with the D'Oh-era Tarheels, and I'm not quite sure how this has happened
    This is really an absurd exageration. If you don't remember, go read the results of UNC during the D'Oh[sic] era.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Looking at the names doesn't exactly inspire a ton of regret.
    Two things for me: 1) It's more the principle of the thing than the names that left. It's just a bad thing to see that many kids leave in such a short period of time. 2) It's a combination of transfers, defections, misses, etc. that concern me. You can't just look at Taylor leaving in a vacuum. It's part of a much bigger issue in my mind.

Gary

people. King will not stay. this is rather final, considering foxsports has already picked up on it.

1 transfer a year is awful. name for me one other school that averages one transfer every year.
    Last edited by Cavlaw; 03-31-2008 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Rumors

Quote Originally Posted by godukerocks View Post
    Not if for personal reasons, such as Jamal's case. But if Taylor is indeed leaving, say for an issue such as playing time, do you think K should try to talk him out of it?
    Well, let's say playing time is the issue. How could K talk him out of it if he can't assure him of more playing time? K can give him all the reasons to stay at Duke, but he can't promise TK the minutes he wants. The best he can do is tell him what he needs to do to earn minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    "Most disappointing transfer of the K era" is subjective, to be sure, but that sounds awfully hyperbolic given the quantity and quality of transfers out we've witnessed, particularly since about 1992 (McCaffrey). Which is what happens when you recruit as well as we do. There are only 200 minutes in the game to go around.
    fair point - neglected McCaffrey. actually, was only thinking Mike Chappell to present when I posted.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke