Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    LOL. Been working hard, and forgot this thread. aro24, the Right Touch catering bunch have a small cafe on the first floor. It's the tall building on the same block with the new Center City Park. The barbeque sandwich has a good slaw on it. Hickory-smoked, tastes a little more Eastern NC style to me. Main entrance, go past the elevators and hang a left and there you are.

If you walk past the cafe to the end of the hall, knock on the glass door and I'll come help you eat your sandwich.

Newbies
    Please never call an internet typer on an on-line message board a "newbie," as if you are a God for being a registered cyber member longer. Lol . Who cares.

If we are going to have an internet p*ssing contest, then I would assume my 300 some more posts would put me on top. 68 posts is pretty weak. I win.

[/sarcasm]

It's just code for bbq discussions, and goes back several years on the DBR boards. Most of the threads of the past are loaded with bbq info, and how to find good bbq, anywhere. Go to the DBR archives, and enjoy the reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    Please never call an internet typer on an on-line message board a "newbie," as if you are a God for being a registered cyber member longer. Lol . Who cares.

If we are going to have an internet p*ssing contest, then I would assume my 300 some more posts would put me on top. 68 posts is pretty weak. I win.

[/sarcasm]
    Cameron, with 300 plus posts you should know by now what the topic really is. [sarcasm]

Seriousl,y I forget what this means until I open thread and am reminded the topic is really bbq, which I am now craving. Sassaphras, I can't get my hands on any for a couple of days.

I'm from Greensboro. Please do not hold this thread against my people.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post

[/sarcasm]
    I know you are being in semi good humor here, but FYI, Johnboy has been a poster for at least ten years. His numbers on the current edition of the board may not match you, but he's been in on the Duke v. Kentucky thing since forever.

Jim3k:

Oh, believe me, I was purely joking about the "I have more posts" comment. I despise people who believe they are amazing, almost Jesus-like fans because of their post counts. That's just stupid. But, I also hate the word "newbie." Sorry, it's just a pet peeve of mine

Duke vs. Kentucky, redux

Here is a new joint for y'all to consider in addition to the countless others we have discussed over the years: The Pit. This was reviewed in the 2/1/08 n&o. Hope the link works(I am new at this): www.thepit-raleigh.com

Hope I have not violated any posting rules with this.

beef brisket, what kind of yankee.... i'll stop now. only eat BBQ in SC, otherwise you may become infected with the notion that what is served in Kentucky is even BBQ. next thing you're gonna tell me that i should eat my chili with noodles.

there, that should fan the BBQ flames a Little.

Quote Originally Posted by willywoody View Post
    beef brisket, what kind of yankee...
    Dems fightin words in Texas...

Duke vs. Kentucky

Here is the review from the n&o. Has anyone visited this place yet? Anyone remember (Ed) Mitchell's restaurant from Wilson, NC?

http://www.newsobserver.com/1132/story/916742.html

Ed Mitchell, Q, and Brisket

Quote Originally Posted by willywoody View Post
    beef brisket, what kind of yankee.... i'll stop now.
    My friend Ed Mitchell has won numerous national titles for his Q. I am so glad he has resurfaced. I miss his Mitchell's restaurant that used to be in Wilson, NC. (Like the Rat mentioned in the Status thread this morning, it succumbed to tax problems.) I'm looking forward to feasting on Ed's Q and ribs, along with DevilDeac and our lovely wives, soon! I think his ribs are even better than his Q.

I love beef brisket. I have a great recipe if anyone's interested (I got it from my brother). The most important thing about brisket, though, is don't eat it the day you cook it, eat it the next day. You cook it, slice it, refrigerate it overnight, and then reheat it and eat it. Don't know why, but it tastes much better that way, and is also more tender.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    Dems fightin words in Texas...
    i know i was just joshin' with everyone. i'm sure the q at this place will be good from what i've read.

Thanks for the heads up, devildeac! A co-worker and her husband are from Lucama, near Wilson, and have mentioned Mitchell's as having great Q. I'll let them know, and look forward to trying it out myself.

Q - North Carolina does it better!

BBQ place for the Wake game

For those who plan to attend the Duke - Wake game later this month in WS, I can recommend a great BBQ not far from the Joel. Don't let the name of the place fool you; their food is good and expertly prepared for this genre. Check out Pig N Out on University Parkway (head north from the Joel). Their BBQ is a mild, non greasy chopped delight. The sauce is a red vinegar type with some spices which compliment the chopped BBQ and don't overwhelm it. Slaw is available in two types: white (mayo base) and red (BBQ slaw). I recommend either but the BBQ slaw is especially fine. For those who think heaven has banana pudding, you'll love what they make at this place! It's a custard base (no instant or runny stuff here) with real meringue. If banana pudding's not your thing, try to strawberry cake.

Pig N Out
    5954 University Parkway
    Winston-Salem (North Carolina) 27105
    (336) 377-3215
    Heading north, it's on the left in the same shopping center with Big Lots.

See You There

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    For those who plan to attend the Duke - Wake game later this month in WS, I can recommend a great BBQ not far from the Joel. Don't let the name of the place fool you; their food is good and expertly prepared for this genre. Check out Pig N Out on University Parkway (head north from the Joel). Their BBQ is a mild, non greasy chopped delight. The sauce is a red vinegar type with some spices which compliment the chopped BBQ and don't overwhelm it. Slaw is available in two types: white (mayo base) and red (BBQ slaw). I recommend either but the BBQ slaw is especially fine. For those who think heaven has banana pudding, you'll love what they make at this place! It's a custard base (no instant or runny stuff here) with real meringue. If banana pudding's not your thing, try to strawberry cake.

Pig N Out
    5954 University Parkway
    Winston-Salem (North Carolina) 27105
    (336) 377-3215
    Heading north, it's on the left in the same shopping center with Big Lots.
    Yeah I'll be at the game. When I get my tickets from my brother I'll let you know where we are sitting so you can come up and catch a nose bleed with us.

As for Pig N Out I can feel my cholesterol rising already

imho, it's not barbecue unless it's from eastern nc, cooked on the pull behind cooker all day and when ready you go up to the cooker and pull off what you want. whatever is left after the first pass is chopped up with just a touch of vinegar based sauce on it to go with your cole slaw, potato salad, green beans, baked beans (yes, both) and then a yellow cake with chocolate icing at the end.

outside of a pig pickin' at my cousin's house, the best barbecue i've had in the triangle area is ole time barbecue on western. no offense to any of the others, but it's just the best and closest i've come to the eastern style of being at home
    Duke '96
    Cary, NC

There's Eastern, Western and Pig N Out

Quote Originally Posted by jjasper0729 View Post
    imho, it's not barbecue unless it's from eastern nc, cooked on the pull behind cooker all day and when ready you go up to the cooker and pull off what you want. whatever is left after the first pass is chopped up with just a touch of vinegar based sauce on it to go with your cole slaw, potato salad, green beans, baked beans (yes, both) and then a yellow cake with chocolate icing at the end.

outside of a pig pickin' at my cousin's house, the best barbecue i've had in the triangle area is ole time barbecue on western. no offense to any of the others, but it's just the best and closest i've come to the eastern style of being at home
    I think you'd be pleased with the BBQ at Pig N Out. Real wood is used for the cooking.... you can smell it as you approach. I would not recommend unless it's worthy. And yes, I am familiar with Eastern and Western NC styles. (Grew up in WS; lived in Durham over 40 yrs.) This BBQ is so good you won't be able to classify it!

Oh, No!

I was not looking at the calendar when I made a recommendation for a restaurant the evening Duke plays Wake Forest in WS. The game is on a Sunday evening. Pig N Out, like many such restaurants, is closed on Sunday's. There are some restaurants open near the Joel, but the great banana pudding will have to be sampled another time. My apologies for the confusion!

Perhaps you can make up for the disappointment with a trip through the drive through window of the Krespy Kreme store on Stratford Rd.

Duke/Kentucky

Any decent/good/great BBQ places in Charlotte for this weekend? Please help. Thanks in advance.