Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    This thread is making me hungry. The only bbq I get is what I make myself on the backyard Weber. It's good...but it's not that good. I've got a decent recipe, but in the end it's just a substitute for the real stuff. Everytime I return to NC, my Dad picks me up at RDU and we head straight to a bbq restaurant.

Bob Green
    Yokosuka, Japan
    this might help:

http://www.scottsbarbecuesauce.com/

To each his own.

I appreciate good BBQ from every style, but the purest form of the art is beef brisket and nobody does that better than Kreuz Market in Lockhart, TX. For ribs, I've never had any better than Angelo's in Forth Worth.

Great BBQ will make you forget BBQ sauce even exists. Just smoke and meat.
    Last edited by mph; 02-28-2007 at 07:32 PM.

Get an indirect smoker.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    This thread is making me hungry. The only bbq I get is what I make myself on the backyard Weber. It's good...but it's not that good. I've got a decent recipe, but in the end it's just a substitute for the real stuff. Everytime I return to NC, my Dad picks me up at RDU and we head straight to a bbq restaurant.

Bob Green
    Yokosuka, Japan
    The best culinary purchase I've ever make was a simple side firebox indirect smoker. You can get one at Lowes or Home Depot for less than $160.oo last I checked. I've smoked, brisket, ribs, pork shoulder, turkey, and fish.

Along those lines, if anyone wants to exchange recipies. This would be a good place to get started. I have a brisket dry rub I've used for years.

Ole N.C. Bar B Q

Quote Originally Posted by watzone View Post
    One good thing about Hursey's (which Oly mentioned) is that the guys who run it are Duke fans and have been going to the games for years. Inside stuff

I think you wer talking of A & M grill in Alamance County. I agree that it is terrible que, but some folks like it.
    I don't know if Ole N.C. Bar B Q is still open at North Duke Mall on N. Duke St. If so, Faye & Chester Heath have served great 'que for years and are life-long Dukies. They cook it and chop it on site. Also, great chicken. Give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDevilsBB View Post
    I lived in Kansas City for a few years and those boys out there think they know what real BBQ is. They have no idea IMO. It isn't bad but it doesn't hold a candle to NC style 'que!!!!
    I dunno... my first bbq exposure was to the NC style, but I like Gates sauce quite a bit. Their problem here (in the KC area) is that they tend to use sliced beef instead of pulled pork, and it always has too much fat on it (I don't mind my meat being bad for me, but I don't want to SEE it). I'm also a big big fan of the chopped burnt end sandwiches at Jack Stack (which also has the best cheesy corn anywhere). Don't like Bryant's much.

For my money, the best Q in the country is at Henry's in Greenville, S.C. (Though I have had a few in Western N.C. that were pretty good as well).

Mmm... barbecue. Now I'm hungry.

Carrie

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by mph View Post
    I appreciate good BBQ from every style, but the purest form of the art is beef brisket and nobody does that better than Kreuz Market in Lockhart, TX. For ribs, I've never had any better than Angelo's in Forth Worth.

Great BBQ will make you forget BBQ sauce even exists. Just smoke and meat.
    Dude, you're just so ... WRONG. Not that beef brisket isn't tasty - if it's done right, it's very good, but it's NOT barbeque. For that, you have to have pig meat.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Smile

Here we go again. Ya'll should have known not to rile me up here. Look in "the book". The author alludes to Kreuz Market as being the best of the best. I ate again at Honey Monk's and it was great, but Kreuz still has it beat. And since Kreuz added pork ribs just a couple of years ago, I've yet to taste better. BBQ is not just pig, by the way. Check up on the many historical text's on the matter. Also, I found Allen and Son's to be tasteless and overcooked. The "coarse chopped with outside brown" at Honey Monk's (Lexington#1, for the uninitiated) I think is the supreme accomplishment of NC style BBQ, but until you've tasted the shoulder clod, links, or ribs at Kreuz's, you've not tasted all there is about BBQ. But then, I'm just a Miami boy that grew up eating our home grown Florida avocados weighing 3 lbs. or more and Hayden mangoes from our own trees---in addition to dallying in smoked Snook and Stone Crab claws that had to be at least 1/2 pound apiece.

ricks

Duke v. Kentucky

In the Contra Costa Times today, there is a review of Killer Ribs by Nancy Davidson. The reviewer, Denise Lowry, likes the book as a BBQ joint guide, but not for the recipes which she says are incomplete.

http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/...d/16945592.htm

If Lowry is right that the recipes are incomplete, then the author Davidson should be barbequed herself, since nothing would turn out as she described.

WTF? Lol, this is blunt as hell, Jim.

The author misses entirely if she considers ribs the same as barbecue. Don't get me wrong, I love ribs, I love the sticky rubs and the red sauce. BUT that ain't barbecue.

I love those pictures showing the Native Americans making barbecue out of lizards. And the picture documents that Native Americans made pork and beans for the first side dish for barbecue. I wonder if they made slaw too.

Duke vs. Kentucky too

What are ya'll doing for memorial weekend? Do you make your own cue? Recipes?

I put this in a separate thread becasue the other D. v. K. thread is about an event in the fall - this thread pertains to Memorial day/weekend. I live in WV where barbecue is basically roadkill with ketchup. Sorta joking...Roadkill is legal to eat in WV, there is no real cue, and where I grew up (SC/NC), brunswick stew was originally made with all the left over possum, pig, goat etc so its basically cue too.

Anyway, I have to been trying to perfect make my on eastern NC barbecue. I use pork butts or shoulder, on my gas grill for several hours at low heat, basted with sauce (below) - then once pretty done I put the butts in a charcoal grill with hickory/(hopefully) apple chips to smoke it for about 45-60 minutes. Then back on the low heat gas grill until done.

I use Dennis Rogers sauce for basting and for after chopping the pork:
    1 gallon cider vinegar
    1/4 cup salt
    2 tablespoons red pepper
    3 tablespoons red pepper flakes
    1 cup firmly packed brown sugar

What about you?

Duke vs. Kentucky (Greensboro)

For anybody working downtown in Greensboro, the cafe inside Renaissance Plaza (N. Elm/Bellemeade) serves a great barbeque sandwich for lunch. Once a week they offer a barbeque plate. I've had the sandwich two days in a row ($3.00), and would make it three except my wife finally got some more deli turkey for my sack lunch.

What?

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    What?
    ^What he said^

Newbies.

Someone introduce the new guys to DBR. . . .

OK, I will. If you happen to see a thread entitled "Duke v. Kentucky" you should be able to safely assume that the topic will be barbecue, and it will be On-Topic. This tradition has a long pedigree on DBR.

It arose several years ago when someone (might have been Jason Evans) complained about threadjacking, saying he'd see a thread entitled "Duke v. Kentucky" but the posts would be about barbecue. I immediately posted a thread about barbecue in that manner and the rest is history.

See the "similar threads" below.
    Last edited by Johnboy; 11-28-2007 at 01:17 AM. Reason: Note similar threads

I have to admit to being somewhat confused by this op myself. It started out promisingly, then veered off into something about a bird in a bag, not even chicken in the rough. Made me wonder if those sandwiches even had slaw on them...

i've never understood this as i've never heard mention of kentucky bbq except here. it is not even a blip in the american cuisine radar.

I work in downtown G'boro on N Elm...but not familiar with this cafe...where exactly is it??? I am always game for good BBQ !

A-Ro24