Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2230313233 LastLast
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Great news! Any personal reports from DBR members?🤤
    We need to make a meet in the middle run!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    We need to make a meet in the middle run!
    Takeout. Eat at one of our 6’ tailgate tables in the parking lot. 😉
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Takeout. Eat at one of our 6’ tailgate tables in the parking lot. 😉
    Well, since those won't be happening*...

*Chance of FB happening is way greater than the chance of us fans being there, and that first chance is .0001%
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Nice to see a thread started by Jarhead. I remember our discussions about the old days -- Nick Galifiankis and other notables. Many others on the board knew his ex, the late Barbara Buschman, when she handled housing. I knew her as Dean Robert Cox's secretary.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Well, since those won't be happening*...

*Chance of FB happening is way greater than the chance of us fans being there, and that first chance is .0001%
    . . . Until the spring . . . .

Moving this to the top since it was mentioned on the off-topic board...

Only stadium in the world with its own barbecue pit

Hello all,

I was going through some old family papers recently, and came across a copy of the program for the 1956 Homecoming game vs Southern Methodist. This was Sonny Jurgensen's senior year. Looking though the program, which was a nice trip down memory lane, I came across the following picture, which I submit to DBR as a (chopped) slice of barbecue history:
    DBR BBQ.jpg

I was at this game (I would have been eight at the time), and while I don't remember much about it other than Duke won, I do remember the barbecue. It was... mediocre. Too much grease and gristle. So much for the good old days.

At the time, the family's gold standard for barbecue was Parker's in Wilson, and even at that tender age I could tell the difference. Of course now we are in the golden age of craft barbecue (like beer!), so I wouldn't hold up Parker's as leading edge these days, but it's still pretty competent based on the last time I ate there.

Taking this full circle, did you know that "The Blue Devils excel in basketball also"? Here is another scan from the program, listing the upcoming basketball schedule featuring a home opener with the "nationally famous Kentucky Wildcats":
    DBR DvK.jpg
    Sadly, the schedule also includes the Dixie Classic - Sic Transit Gloria Mundi.

Quote Originally Posted by Section 15 View Post
    Hello all,

I was going through some old family papers recently, and came across a copy of the program for the 1956 Homecoming game vs Southern Methodist. This was Sonny Jurgensen's senior year. Looking though the program, which was a nice trip down memory lane, I came across the following picture, which I submit to DBR as a (chopped) slice of barbecue history:
    DBR BBQ.jpg

I was at this game (I would have been eight at the time), and while I don't remember much about it other than Duke won, I do remember the barbecue. It was... mediocre. Too much grease and gristle. So much for the good old days.

At the time, the family's gold standard for barbecue was Parker's in Wilson, and even at that tender age I could tell the difference. Of course now we are in the golden age of craft barbecue (like beer!), so I wouldn't hold up Parker's as leading edge these days, but it's still pretty competent based on the last time I ate there.

Taking this full circle, did you know that "The Blue Devils excel in basketball also"? Here is another scan from the program, listing the upcoming basketball schedule featuring a home opener with the "nationally famous Kentucky Wildcats":
    DBR DvK.jpg
    Sadly, the schedule also includes the Dixie Classic - Sic Transit Gloria Mundi.
    Thanks! Did you get to Turnage's back in the day? I liked that one as a kid.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Thanks! Did you get to Turnage's back in the day? I liked that one as a kid.

-jk
    Sorry, no. I didn't grow up in Durham. We mostly just packed the station wagon with a picnic lunch and drove in for the games. Homecomings were a little different. We arrived early to look at the displays on West campus (I was really fascinated by them), and my father would smooze with his friends during the BBQ lunch in Card gym. And of course I remember politicians glad handing the crowd. I shook hands with multiple senators and governors over the years. Very impressive show for a little kid to experience.

Found Tommy’s BBQ House in Biscoe while traveling on I 73 yesterday and it was very good. The dining room was closed at 5:00 for some reason (staffing?) but the pickup window was open with several picnic tables and there was a steady stream of folks picking up some Q to go. For comparison, I usually get a pork plate with pups, beans and slaw for my first visit to a BBQ joint. Really tasty BBQ pork. Vinegar based sauce, of course, and I chose the spicy option. The pups were onion ring shaped, moist and very tasty. The slaw was also finely chopped, as I prefer it, and tasty. I usually add some chopped carrots to mine for color and variety but theirs was cabbage only. The beans could have been from a can but were fine. A lady in line said their fried chicken was also very good but I can’t confirm since I was craving BBQ. All in all, the place was great and lived up to its 4 1/2 star Yelp rating. I’ll definitely stop again when I’m passing through. It’s just a few miles off I 73 at the Biscoe/Troy exit.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Found Tommy’s BBQ House in Biscoe while traveling on I 73 yesterday and it was very good. The dining room was closed at 5:00 for some reason (staffing?) but the pickup window was open with several picnic tables and there was a steady stream of folks picking up some Q to go. For comparison, I usually get a pork plate with pups, beans and slaw for my first visit to a BBQ joint. Really tasty BBQ pork. Vinegar based sauce, of course, and I chose the spicy option. The pups were onion ring shaped, moist and very tasty. The slaw was also finely chopped, as I prefer it, and tasty. I usually add some chopped carrots to mine for color and variety but theirs was cabbage only. The beans could have been from a can but were fine. A lady in line said their fried chicken was also very good but I can’t confirm since I was craving BBQ. All in all, the place was great and lived up to its 4 1/2 star Yelp rating. I’ll definitely stop again when I’m passing through. It’s just a few miles off I 73 at the Biscoe/Troy exit.
    Never heard of Biscoe and I-73. Assume you meant I-74. Biscoe appears to be 25 miles WNW of Pinehurst.

Seems promising.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Never heard of Biscoe and I-73. Assume you meant I-74. Biscoe appears to be 25 miles WNW of Pinehurst.

Seems promising.
    I-73 is what used to be 220 from Roanoke to Rockingham, through Greensboro, Asheboro, etc. I’m actually riding on it now, near Biscoe. I haven’t seen the BBQ place, but now will find a way to get there, as I drive in its vicinity often.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    I-73 is what used to be 220 from Roanoke to Rockingham, through Greensboro, Asheboro, etc. I’m actually riding on it now, near Biscoe. I haven’t seen the BBQ place, but now will find a way to get there, as I drive in its vicinity often.
    Yeah, the road carries both the I-73 and I-74 designation at that point. If traveling North, they diverge south of Greensboro.

Biscoe and Candor, NC are small towns in Montgomery County, NC and also in the heart of peach country. The NC Peach Festival is held at Candor.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Not difficult to find. Just exit 73/74 onto hwy 27 towards Biscoe. Drive through the little “town” and Tommy’s is another mile or so on the right.

I echo Wilber's and Kings...two of my favorite places to hit on way to and from games. (Since I drive through both Kinston and Goldsboro.) Kings is an amazing buffet. If speed is an issue, Smithfields works, but none of the food is actually cooked there. I have no idea where they make it, but I've never seen a smokestack at one of their restaurants.
    Where are you driving from? That would help knowing what your closest options are. (Neither Gboro or Kinston are close enough to hit for a quick bite from Clinton.)
    Replying to an old thread here but I just got a gift card to Goldbelly and it looks like Kings is the best option for getting good NC bbq out of state. Anyone else used the service to get NC foods?
    "Something in my vicinity is Carolina blue and this offends me." - HPR

Bump

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Bump
    Let's see how the new bball coaching staff deals with this...maybe Jai came to Durham for NC bbq and maybe Nolan moved to Louisville for Ky bbq...

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    Let's see how the new bball coaching staff deals with this...maybe Jai came to Durham for NC bbq and maybe Nolan moved to Louisville for Ky bbq...
    I thought they went to a glue factory.

-jk

Question: Has anyone ever been to Long Swamp, NC and had a fried collard greens sandwich? Saw a show on public tv touting a Native American family that serves them on the weekends in town.
    Fried cornbread with greens and a few curls of fatback.
    We were sorely tempted to get in the car.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Question: Has anyone ever been to Long Swamp, NC and had a fried collard greens sandwich? Saw a show on public tv touting a Native American family that serves them on the weekends in town.
    Fried cornbread with greens and a few curls of fatback.
    We were sorely tempted to get in the car.
    Haven't tried it, but the location is kind of on the way to the beaches of NC and SC, not far from I-95. Robeson County is Jim Sumner's original home area; I'm sure he could provide additional details on the area and Lumbee customs.