Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: I hate UNC!

1. Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    ... hatred is a visceral, ugly emotion. There are very few, if any, things in life worth holding true hatred for. As far as I'm concerned, sports and hatred should not go together, but they too often do.
    I HATE CAROLINA. In the true literal sense of the word.

Quote Originally Posted by The Slamming Butcher View Post
    I HATE CAROLINA. In the true literal sense of the word.
    Amen

hallelujah!
    Duke '96
    Cary, NC

Growing up in NC is enough entitlement to say that what I feel towards them is a form of hate--like dad said, not necessarily that you wish them harm but hope something bad happens to them. Their fan base is easily the most arrogant that I have ever had to encounter--they BELIEVE the rhetoric that they spout and it is just unbearable. They are the only people I know who regularly HAVE to contact you if your team loses, regardless if their team was the one who did beat you....and if it was their team that did the deed you never hear the end of it. They will incessantly remind you for the better part of a week and purposely attempt to get under your skin merely for that reason. I know I always root against unc and always will but when they lose I not trying to actively engage them to let them know just how much I enjoyed that they lost (I keep that warm, fuzzy feeling inside and not said to them) but without fail, they will come to me in multiple droves to talk about just to say how they were jobbed/robbed/were hurt/etc. A perfect example of their behavior was with the Belmont game--I'm at work (unfortunately) and while working I've got no less that 5 different unc fans calling me on my work Nextel to remind me we're losing the game at that point. Gee, thanks....now leave me alone so I can work and sweat the bullets in private!! It really is their fans that brings out the hatred but they've had players over the years (Scott Williams, King Rice, Eric Munster-oss, Rasheed Wallace--oh I couldn't stand him...., Vince Carter and his chest-thumping, and now Hanstravel) that have brought the feelings out, too. With Hanstravel it's not so much his aggressiveness (which a lot of times is admirable) but it's just everything he gets away with. I've never seen a guy get away with so much so consistently in hoops this side of Jordan in the nba--constant reach overs, over the back, hip/knee bumps, initiating contact (leaping into defenders arms yet the defender gets the foul every time??), and, of course, the 3 to 4 steps we see him do. That's what bothers me about him. And do I need to mention their coaches? Dean, oh Dean. . .he was just so smug that it drove me mad. D'OHerty made you want to slug him--really, a coach starting trouble with our players on the court and then backpeddles with his arms up like he did nothing? And now ol' Roy. Dad gum it all he frikkin' is the second coming of Dean with his attitude but the stories I've read on the site where he will say and act one way as a public face but behind the curtain is so different says a lot for their program as a whole to me. That's really the breakdown of hatred--fans, players, coaches. They can bring out the worst in their fellow hole fans when they congregate and love nothing more than to insult a Blue Devil. Hope none of you who chose to read my (first!!!!) post fell asleep reading it all but for what I've had to be exposed to from the hole fans since about age 10 to now (age 31) has been a bear to deal with and will have to continue to deal with. Let's strike back hard next year and continue to improve--go Duke!!!

you can say what you want about matt D, but he gave us some of the best years in the rivalry....

and just remember....he's not walking through that door to recruit any more players for "fricken-boy"

i always thought it would be great if state had hired doh...

"i always thought it would be great if state had hired doh..."

mmm, that would be nice. It would surely strike up a NCSU-UNC rivalry.

Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by dukemsu View Post
    I own a shirt that says Go To Hell Carolina.

I'll be interested to see if anyone swings at me when I'm wearing it at Ford Field in Detroit this weekend.

Where can I get one of those shirts?

Quote Originally Posted by dynastydefender View Post
    Where can I get one of those shirts?
    Try Ebay-that is where I got mine. I am sure there are some in and around Durham but I live nowhere near there, so I tried Ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by pamtar View Post
    My wife got her BA in art history with a 3.9 GPA. Her GRE score was 1560. She applied to UNC art history and library science for the fall 2008 semester. Denied.

EVERY other school she applied to admitted her and offered her assistantships.

That goes beyond Bball. We had already planned to move to Hell (where I would be closer to CIS). I dont hate UNC, I think the entire institution is comical.

PS - lookout Durham! We're on our way to Duke in two years!

PPS - Without UNC Bball, Duke Bball wouldn't be quite as fun!
    Similar story with my better half: was a Duke math major -- accepted into grad school in UVA's Applied Mathematics, UConn and URI actuarial programs and NC State Statistics (these are all either #1 or #2 programs in the country). UNC did not accept. What a joke!

For those of us that went to high school in NC, the question that got you disqualified from the Morehead scholarship was "if you don't get the scholarship, are you still going to UNC?" I couldn't help myself -- "Heck no! I'm going to Duke!"

I hate unc!

Quote Originally Posted by cf-62 View Post
    Similar story with my better half: was a Duke math major -- accepted into grad school in UVA's Applied Mathematics, UConn and URI actuarial programs and NC State Statistics (these are all either #1 or #2 programs in the country). UNC did not accept. What a joke!

For those of us that went to high school in NC, the question that got you disqualified from the Morehead scholarship was "if you don't get the scholarship, are you still going to UNC?" I couldn't help myself -- "Heck no! I'm going to Duke!"
    Another morehead story, paraphrased:

morehead committee member: "what other schools are you applying to?"
    candidate: "Duke and X, Y and Z universities"
    m.c.m.: "Why would you EVER want to go to Duke(apparently asked in about as sarcastic and arrogant tone as possible)?"
    candidate: "because I want to stay in the South for college and Duke is the best university in the South"
    m.c.m: "oh"

interview ended very shortly after that exchange.

I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.(s)

what is the only thing a duke student and unc student have in common?

they were both eligible for unc...

I have plenty of GTHC shirts available. Please just PM me. Thanks, GTHC, GTH!!!

I pretty much sank my morehead interview when they asked if I intended to apply anywhere else and I said I had applied early decision to Duke. few weeks later, accepted so i was done before christmas.
    Duke '96
    Cary, NC

Talking

Best Morehead story I have heard--Student from a Duke family was attending the interview weekend at UNC, part of which was watching the Duke-Carolina b-ball game on TV and of course rooting for the heels and ridiculing Duke. He couldn't take it so he left at half and called home to talk to someone on the correct side of the rivalry.

stickers

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    I have plenty of GTHC shirts available. Please just PM me. Thanks, GTHC, GTH!!!

and I have the GTHC stickers so your car can match you

Gthc

Quote Originally Posted by camcraz25 View Post
    and I have the GTHC stickers so your car can match you
    Shameless plug for these decals. Everyone I have showed them to has wanted one or received one as a gift from me. They provoke smiles and laughter whenever I show them to folks. I even have a few State fans who have wanted them .

Another piece of evidence that the Tar Heels are evil

A friend and coworker told me the story of how he became a Duke fan when he used to be a Carolina fan.

He grew up in NC and grew up a Tar Heel fan. During the mid 90s, near the end of the Dean Smith era, my friend was working to help a W-S area charity (a camp for disabled kids) and sent one basketball to Duke and one to UNC. Each ball was sent with letters informing Coach K and Smith, respectively, that he was hoping the coach would autograph the balls so he could auction them, all proceeds going to the camp. The ball he sent to UNC was returned with a form letter explaining that their policy did not allow them to sign the ball for that purpose. The ball he sent to Duke came back with, not only Coach K's signature, but also with the signature of each assistant and EVERY player on the team...no questions asked.

My friend's been an ardent Duke supporter and Tar Heel hater ever since.

Morehead Story

I actually received the Morehead, no questions about Duke, but after I received the B.N. Duke and got a scholarship to Davidson, UNC was pretty much at the bottom of my list. Anyway, when I called the Morehead Dir. he was really rude and basically well... actually told me I was making a huge mistake. I was shocked by his attitude and by his assertion so in a bit of angry reply I told him that only someone that works at UNC would ever consider a person taking a fully academic scholarship to Duke as being a mistake and that it just didn't make sense for me to go to a school that was academically less prestigious when Duke would be free to. He then said well I'm sorry you feel that way and hung up.

At my wedding my brother who is a UNC grad but a Duke fan said in his toast that he was never prouder of me than when I turned down the Morehead. Makes my heart warm to hate the heels, and I love telling UNC grads that I won the Morehead Scholarship and then telling them that I went to Duke. Deflates their egos every time.

GTHC!

Quote Originally Posted by Defenserules View Post
    I actually received the Morehead, no questions about Duke, but after I received the B.N. Duke and got a scholarship to Davidson, UNC was pretty much at the bottom of my list. Anyway, when I called the Morehead Dir. he was really rude and basically well... actually told me I was making a huge mistake. I was shocked by his attitude and by his assertion so in a bit of angry reply I told him that only someone that works at UNC would ever consider a person taking a fully academic scholarship to Duke as being a mistake and that it just didn't make sense for me to go to a school that was academically less prestigious when Duke would be free to. He then said well I'm sorry you feel that way and hung up.

At my wedding my brother who is a UNC grad but a Duke fan said in his toast that he was never prouder of me than when I turned down the Morehead. Makes my heart warm to hate the heels, and I love telling UNC grads that I won the Morehead Scholarship and then telling them that I went to Duke. Deflates their egos every time.

GTHC!
    I'm adding you and your brother to my hero list. Way to go!!!

But the reverse isn't true?

Quote Originally Posted by crote View Post
    All this means is that no UNC fans are gentlemen.
    I promise you that, for every Duke fan who says that Tar Heel fans are not gentlemen, there are 25 Tar Hell fans who say worse things about Dukies...

That's why it's a rivalry!
    DukeDevilDeb