Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Hey!

What is the Answer to #1?

I shold be doing work...

1) When a thread is entitled "Duke vs. Kentucky," what is the subject?
    BBQ
    2) What was the original host (domain name?) for the Duke Basketball Report?
    juliovision
    3) What was the visual background on the original site? some horrible color?
    4a) What does "GGLC" stand for? I am at a loss
    4b) What prompted the coining of that phrase?
    5) Where does Jason Evans work? CNN
    6) What was the title of the longest thread in DBR history (well, prior to the one currently growing on the off-topic board for that purporse)?
    7a) What was the title of the thread that prompted the mother of a player to respond in defense of her son? Jwon't
    7b) What was the name of poster who started that thread? fiasco?
    7c) What was the screen name of the player's mother who responded? Devilmomma
    8) Complete the phrase according to the famous thread title. "[Blank]
    Can't Play." Casey?
    9) What are Boswell and Julio's real first names? James and Brian?
    10) What player's father was an original poster on DBR? hurley?
    11) What two posters talked forever about a trek to see a Duke game
    that never materialized?
    12) What is the name for the ticket acquisition technique that involves standing outside Cameron in Duke garb? McGrupp method
    13) Which DBR poster has a standing promise to streak naked past the Morehead Planetarium if a certain unprecedented event occurs (which he now claims he can no longer honor)? No idea
    14) What was the title of the famous thread that popped up after Carlos Boozer broke his foot against Maryland in 2001? It's over
    15) During the run to the 2001 national title, a thread was started before each game for karmic purposes. What was the general title of that thread? It's over?
    16) According to DBR lore, whose pick-up prowess (and summer exploits) were Jordan-esque compared to his in-season performance? Horvath
    17) What is Throatybeard's favorite phrase used to describe fans who complain that the Crazies were so much better during their era? don't know
    18a) Which DBR poster applied to be Duke's AD? Stray Gator
    18b) Was his application serious or a joke? joke
    19) Which of the following people has never posted on DBR? A) Shane Battier B) Jay Bilas C) Mike Gminski D) Althea Williams GMan
    20) Who coined the phrase "neighborhood pub" to describe DBR? Stray Gator?
    21) What Carolina big man did Wheat love to pump up? Haywood
    22) Who beats himself? some Okalaja
    23) Roughly how many fights began over the creation of the off-topic board? 5
    24) Who did bitter fans nickname "The Three Amigo$?" assistant coaches dawkins, collins and amaker
    25) What is the title of the traditional thread started in advance of
    a Duke-Carolina game? status check
    26) What was the name of the group of DBR posters/grad students/Crazies that included Viking Guy, Mullet Man and Throatybeard phalanx
    27) Where is UNC located? Hell
    28) In a famous "Separated at Birth," who was Matt Doherty compared to?sam the eagle
    29) Whose fans bombarded the very first DBR board, forcing Julio and Boswell to ask James to write the verification software? Kentucky
    30) What former Duke player could beat any opponent one-on-five, steal their girlfriends and spin the opposing coach on one finger? Patrick Davidson is the answer to all questions.

I'm guessing I got about an 80-85...I only came on board around 1999. Some of the relational thing sfrom early on was not on my radar.
    Last edited by Exiled_Devil; 03-26-2008 at 04:20 PM. Reason: messed up colors

I've been around long enough that I think I got 12 or 13 (so many players have been called the next coming of Jordan at practice/summer pickup that it's hard to narrow it to just one) but not quite long enough to know the original web address for DBR.

Good questions!

7b) What was the name of poster who started that thread? Sarah?

I don't want to win, (don't want to moderate anybody), so I'm just going to make a wild guess at one of the questions, hyuk, hyuk, hyuk.

BBQ

2) What was the original host (domain name?) for the Duke Basketball Report? juliovision.com

3) What was the visual background on the original site?
    Parquet floor

4a) What does "GGLC" stand for?
    Getting Giddy Losing Control - coined by Jason Evans

The Boozer/Wiliams recruiting class

5) Where does Jason Evans work?
    CNN

6) What was the title of the longest thread in DBR history (well, prior to the one currently growing on the off-topic board for that purporse)?
    Bush mispronounces Battier

7a) What was the title of the thread that prompted the mother of a player to respond in defense of her son?
    I am disappointed in Jason Williams

7b) What was the name of poster who started that thread?
    Dont remember

7c) What was the screen name of the player's mother who responded?
    devilmomma

Can't Play."
    Nate James

9) What are Boswell and Julio's real first names?
    julio is Julian King - don't know Boswell

10) What player's father was an original poster on DBR?
    Carlos Boozer?

that never materialized?
    colchar and duketaylor

12) What is the name for the ticket acquisition technique that involves standing outside Cameron in Duke garb?
    the McGrupp method

13) Which DBR poster has a standing promise to streak naked past the Morehead Planetarium if a certain unprecedented event occurs (which he now claims he can no longer honor)?
    Klemnop

14) What was the title of the famous thread that popped up after Carlos Boozer broke his foot against Maryland in 2001?
    It's Over

15) During the run to the 2001 national title, a thread was started before each game for karmic purposes. What was the general title of that thread?
    How we beat (Name of Team)

16) According to DBR lore, whose pick-up prowess (and summer exploits) were Jordan-esque compared to his in-season performance?
    Nick Horvath

17) What is Throatybeard's favorite phrase used to describe fans who complain that the Crazies were so much better during their era?
    And Bill Werber served the beer

18a) Which DBR poster applied to be Duke's AD?
    Ozzie?

18b) Was his application serious or a joke?
    If It was Ozzie, I'd want it to be serious

19) Which of the following people has never posted on DBR? A) Shane Battier B) Jay Bilas C) Mike Gminski D) Althea Williams
    Mike Gminski

20) Who coined the phrase "neighborhood pub" to describe DBR?
    Stray Gator

21) What Carolina big man did Wheat love to pump up?
    4-time All-American Brian Bersticker

22) Who beats himself?
    A-de-mo-la O-ka-lo-ja beat himself clap clap

23) Roughly how many fights began over the creation of the off-topic board?
    At least a million

24) Who did bitter fans nickname "The Three Amigo$?"
    Avery/Brand/Magette

a Duke-Carolina game?
    Status Check

26) What was the name of the group of DBR posters/grad students/Crazies that included Viking Guy, Mullet Man and Throatybeard
    Don't remember

27) Where is UNC located?
    the bowels of hell

28) In a famous "Separated at Birth," who was Matt Doherty compared to?
    From the Muppets, Sam the Eagle

29) Whose fans bombarded the very first DBR board, forcing Julio and Boswell to ask James to write the verification software?
    Kentucky fans - that happened just before I discovered this board

30) What former Duke player could beat any opponent one-on-five, steal their girlfriends and spin the opposing coach on one finger?
    Patrick Davidson, of course

Where to go get barbeque
    2) What was the original host (domain name?) for the Duke Basketball Report? no idea
    3) What was the visual background on the original site? black?
    4a) What does "GGLC" stand for? no idea
    4b) What prompted the coining of that phrase? ditto
    5) Where does Jason Evans work? I know he has mentioned this but I can't remember
    6) What was the title of the longest thread in DBR history (well, prior to the one currently growing on the off-topic board for that purporse)? Duke Hatred Tsunami is pretty long
    7a) What was the title of the thread that prompted the mother of a player to respond in defense of her son? Back off you wierdos! Or WIIIIIZZAAARD!
    7c) What was the screen name of the player's mother who responded? Mrs Randolph
    Can't Play."
    9) What are Boswell and Julio's real first names? Boswell and Julio...why not
    10) What player's father was an original poster on DBR?
    that never materialized?
    12) What is the name for the ticket acquisition technique that involves standing outside Cameron in Duke garb? stab and grab.
    13) Which DBR poster has a standing promise to streak naked past the Morehead Planetarium if a certain unprecedented event occurs (which he now claims he can no longer honor)? Feldspar?
    14) What was the title of the famous thread that popped up after Carlos Boozer broke his foot against Maryland in 2001? ITS OVER!
    15) During the run to the 2001 national title, a thread was started before each game for karmic purposes. What was the general title of that thread? To beat...whoever it was we played in the 1st round
    16) According to DBR lore, whose pick-up prowess (and summer exploits) were Jordan-esque compared to his in-season performance? errr Daniel Ewing
    17) What is Throatybeard's favorite phrase used to describe fans who complain that the Crazies were so much better during their era? nincompoops
    18a) Which DBR poster applied to be Duke's AD? gotta be throaty
    18b) Was his application serious or a joke? probably both
    19) Which of the following people has never posted on DBR? A) Shane Battier B) Jay Bilas C) Mike Gminski D) Althea Williams The G man
    20) Who coined the phrase "neighborhood pub" to describe DBR? loopy maybe?
    21) What Carolina big man did Wheat love to pump up? Kris Lang
    22) Who beats himself? pass
    23) Roughly how many fights began over the creation of the off-topic board? 37
    24) Who did bitter fans nickname "The Three Amigo$?" J Will, Dunleavy and Boozer (I'm guessing)
    a Duke-Carolina game? Status Check
    26) What was the name of the group of DBR posters/grad students/Crazies that included Viking Guy, Mullet Man and Throatybeard
    27) Where is UNC located? outer Mongolia. Lots of sheep there
    28) In a famous "Separated at Birth," who was Matt Doherty compared to? Christopher Lee's version of Dracula?
    29) Whose fans bombarded the very first DBR board, forcing Julio and Boswell to ask James to write the verification software? UMD
    30) What former Duke player could beat any opponent one-on-five, steal their girlfriends and spin the opposing coach on one finger?NATE JAMES (yelled like MIKE JONES!)

I'm still a baby here
    Last edited by -jk; 03-26-2008 at 07:33 PM. Reason: removed quote tag

my guesses

1) When a thread is entitled "Duke vs. Kentucky," what is the subject? BBQ
    2) What was the original host (domain name?) for the Duke Basketball Report?juliovision.com
    3) What was the visual background on the original site? parquet floor4a) What does "GGLC" stand for? Getting giddy, losing control4b) What prompted the coining of that phrase? Jay wills' recruiting class (booze, Dunleavy et al)
    5) Where does Jason Evans work? cnn-atlanta
    6) What was the title of the longest thread in DBR history (well, prior to the one currently growing on the off-topic board for that purporse)? Duke LAX
    7a) What was the title of the thread that prompted the mother of a player to respond in defense of her son? I am dissappointed in Jason Williams
    7b) What was the name of poster who started that thread? no clue7c) What was the screen name of the player's mother who responded? devilmomma8) Complete the phrase according to the famous thread title. "[Blank]
    Can't Play." The bad pottymouth!pottymouth!pottymouth! himself --NATE JAMES
    9) What are Boswell and Julio's real first names? Julian and Mike10) What player's father was an original poster on DBR? Boozer??11) What two posters talked forever about a trek to see a Duke game
    that never materialized? no clue12) What is the name for the ticket acquisition technique that involves standing outside Cameron in Duke garb? McGrupp method
    13) Which DBR poster has a standing promise to streak naked past the Morehead Planetarium if a certain unprecedented event occurs (which he now claims he can no longer honor)? klemnop (when clemson beats UNC in CH
    14) What was the title of the famous thread that popped up after Carlos Boozer broke his foot against Maryland in 2001? It's over
    15) During the run to the 2001 national title, a thread was started before each game for karmic purposes. What was the general title of that thread? How do we beat...
    16) According to DBR lore, whose pick-up prowess (and summer exploits) were Jordan-esque compared to his in-season performance? I'll say Horvath. but could have been SHAV17) What is Throatybeard's favorite phrase used to describe fans who complain that the Crazies were so much better during their era? don't recall
    18a) Which DBR poster applied to be Duke's AD? Ozzie4duke
    18b) Was his application serious or a joke? yes19) Which of the following people has never posted on DBR? A) Shane Battier B) Jay Bilas C) Mike Gminski D) Althea Williams Gotta be C) the G Man
    21) What Carolina big man did Wheat love to pump up? Haywood??22) Who beats himself? Okulaja23) Roughly how many fights began over the creation of the off-topic board?
    24) Who did bitter fans nickname "The Three Amigo$?" Avery, Brand, Maggette25) What is the title of the traditional thread started in advance of
    a Duke-Carolina game? Status check
    26) What was the name of the group of DBR posters/grad students/Crazies that included Viking Guy, Mullet Man and Throatybeard ???
    27) Where is UNC located? Chapel Hell
    28) In a famous "Separated at Birth," who was Matt Doherty compared to? Sam the eagle
    29) Whose fans bombarded the very first DBR board, forcing Julio and Boswell to ask James to write the verification software? Kintucky30) What former Duke player could beat any opponent one-on-five, steal their girlfriends and spin the opposing coach on one finger? patrick Davidson

1) When a thread is entitled "Duke vs. Kentucky," what is the subject? barbecue
    2) What was the original host (domain name?) for the Duke Basketball Report?Juliovision
    3) What was the visual background on the original site?solid black? I can't remember!
    4a) What does "GGLC" stand for?
    5) Where does Jason Evans work? CNN
    6) What was the title of the longest thread in DBR history (well, prior to the one currently growing on the off-topic board for that purporse)?I think it was about Patrick Patterson, but I can't remember the title.
    7a) What was the title of the thread that prompted the mother of a player to respond in defense of her son?
    7c) What was the screen name of the player's mother who responded?
    Can't Play."
    9) What are Boswell and Julio's real first names?
    10) What player's father was an original poster on DBR? Jason Williams?
    that never materialized?
    12) What is the name for the ticket acquisition technique that involves standing outside Cameron in Duke garb?
    13) Which DBR poster has a standing promise to streak naked past the Morehead Planetarium if a certain unprecedented event occurs (which he now claims he can no longer honor)? Klemnop
    14) What was the title of the famous thread that popped up after Carlos Boozer broke his foot against Maryland in 2001?It's over
    15) During the run to the 2001 national title, a thread was started before each game for karmic purposes. What was the general title of that thread?
    16) According to DBR lore, whose pick-up prowess (and summer exploits) were Jordan-esque compared to his in-season performance?Nick Horvath
    17) What is Throatybeard's favorite phrase used to describe fans who complain that the Crazies were so much better during their era?
    18a) Which DBR poster applied to be Duke's AD? Ozzie?
    18b) Was his application serious or a joke?
    19) Which of the following people has never posted on DBR? A) Shane Battier B) Jay Bilas C) Mike Gminski D) Althea Williams Mike Gminski?
    21) What Carolina big man did Wheat love to pump up?
    22) Who beats himself?Ademola Okaluja (SP?)
    23) Roughly how many fights began over the creation of the off-topic board?
    24) Who did bitter fans nickname "The Three Amigo$?"Elton Brand, Corey Maggette, Will Avery
    a Duke-Carolina game?Status Check!
    27) Where is UNC located?chapel hell
    28) In a famous "Separated at Birth," who was Matt Doherty compared to?Sam the Eagle from the Muppet Show
    29) Whose fans bombarded the very first DBR board, forcing Julio and Boswell to ask James to write the verification software?
    30) What former Duke player could beat any opponent one-on-five, steal their girlfriends and spin the opposing coach on one finger?The Man, the Myth, the Legend: Patrick Davidson![/quote]

I didn't know the answer to several of these.
    Last edited by Jumbo; 03-26-2008 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Removed Quote Tag

I cheated. I read everyone's answers.

DBR is cool!!!

Question here are my invisible, lame answers...

1) When a thread is entitled "Duke vs. Kentucky," what is the subject? BBQ
    2) What was the original host (domain name?) for the Duke Basketball Report? juliovision
    3) What was the visual background on the original site? parquet...butter! get it?
    4a) What does "GGLC" stand for? Getting Giddy, Losing Control
    4b) What prompted the coining of that phrase? the whole thing about getting JWill,Boozer,Dunleavy et al.
    5) Where does Jason Evans work? CNN Atlanta
    6) What was the title of the longest thread in DBR history (well, prior to the one currently growing on the off-topic board for that purporse)? Not sure, a BBQ thread?
    7a) What was the title of the thread that prompted the mother of a player to respond in defense of her son? I'm Disappointed in Jason Williams
    7b) What was the name of poster who started that thread? no idea
    7c) What was the screen name of the player's mother who responded? Devil Momma
    Can't Play." Nate
    9) What are Boswell and Julio's real first names? Mike and Julian?
    10) What player's father was an original poster on DBR? Carlos Boozer
    that never materialized? no idea
    12) What is the name for the ticket acquisition technique that involves standing outside Cameron in Duke garb? The McGrupp Method
    13) Which DBR poster has a standing promise to streak naked past the Morehead Planetarium if a certain unprecedented event occurs (which he now claims he can no longer honor)? Klemnop...and good luck to him...
    14) What was the title of the famous thread that popped up after Carlos Boozer broke his foot against Maryland in 2001? Probably something like "It's Over"
    15) During the run to the 2001 national title, a thread was started before each game for karmic purposes. What was the general title of that thread? How We Beat Them
    16) According to DBR lore, whose pick-up prowess (and summer exploits) were Jordan-esque compared to his in-season performance? Nick Horvath
    17) What is Throatybeard's favorite phrase used to describe fans who complain that the Crazies were so much better during their era? Bill Werber served the beer?
    18a) Which DBR poster applied to be Duke's AD? Ozzie4Duke I think
    18b) Was his application serious or a joke? I think he says it was serious...
    19) Which of the following people has never posted on DBR? A) Shane Battier B) Jay Bilas C) Mike Gminski D) Althea Williams I'm gonna guess Gminski just by age...
    20) Who coined the phrase "neighborhood pub" to describe DBR? Stray Gator maybe?
    21) What Carolina big man did Wheat love to pump up? Melendez?
    22) Who beats himself? Even I know this one! Ademola Okulaja beats himself!
    23) Roughly how many fights began over the creation of the off-topic board? Craploads...
    24) Who did bitter fans nickname "The Three Amigo$?" The first three to leave early. EB WA CM
    a Duke-Carolina game? Status Check, duh...
    26) What was the name of the group of DBR posters/grad students/Crazies that included Viking Guy, Mullet Man and Throatybeard phalanx?
    27) Where is UNC located? Chapel Hill, I mean Hell!
    28) In a famous "Separated at Birth," who was Matt Doherty compared to? Oh, my favorite, Sam the Eagle! The white hair with the eyebrows!
    29) Whose fans bombarded the very first DBR board, forcing Julio and Boswell to ask James to write the verification software? Carolina, of course. It was before Maryland became such a threat to our well-being...
    30) What former Duke player could beat any opponent one-on-five, steal their girlfriends and spin the opposing coach on one finger? My man, PD

And when do we get the answers!

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    And when do we get the answers!
    We'll play it by ear. I'd like to give people time to participate. When the well runs dry for a couple of days, we'll close the contest.

I am pretty sure I know all the answers, which is just plain sad, but what is really sad is that from what I have seen so far, the two questions that everyone have gotten right are what Duke vs. Kentucky means and where I work. I am pathetic.

Oh, and unless I missed it no one has yet gotten the author of the thread that a player's mother felt so strongly about that she had to respond. I am intrigued at that because lots of folks seem to recall the thread and the person who started it really took a tongue lashing for starting it.

I agree that when Jumbo posts the answers, a bunch of us "old timers" should chime in to explain the background and stories behind many of these DBR traditions.

For example, does anyone know who started the first Duke vs. Kentucky thread and why he chose that name for it? Mods, any of you know that answer?

--Jason "I know Jumbo put a lot of work into this and it is a fun trip down memory lane" Evans

It just occurred to me that if I were to answer all of them then I COULD MODERATE JUMBO FOR A DAY!!

Jumbo, is this true or am I DQ'd from this contest?

-Jason "I am confident Throaty could get all of them too, and probably Carlos and a few other folks as well" Evans

Jumbo, thank you for doing this!

The only one I didn't get is 29, at least according to Jumbo's answers.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    It just occurred to me that if I were to answer all of them then I COULD MODERATE JUMBO FOR A DAY!!

Jumbo, is this true or am I DQ'd from this contest?

-Jason "I am confident Throaty could get all of them too, and probably Carlos and a few other folks as well" Evans
    Yeah, all the mods are dq'd.

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    Jumbo, thank you for doing this!
    No problem! I hope we can do similarly light-hearted things throughout the offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

I agree that when Jumbo posts the answers, a bunch of us "old timers" should chime in to explain the background and stories behind many of these DBR traditions.

This is a great idea. I'd say I knew half the answers on the quiz and haven't been around long enough to know the other questions. The stories behind the answers would be great to those of us that weren't around when they happened. It would cool to hear the stories, and also put some of us in on a lot of the inside jokes that occur. For instance, was there ever a time when Earljam started threads that weren't completely random?

So there's one that I knew but didn't answer due to oversight, the question about how Throaty whines about people whining about how much better things were in the past.