Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

The Official DBR Quiz

OK boys and girls. Chill out, kick back and prepare for immense quantities of fun. To lighten the mood and provide a different topic of conversation, I present the first-ever Official DBR Quiz. To the winner goes a very, very special prize. Read on.
    First, the rules.
    1) Answer the questions in this thread, but do it in white. That way, no one can read your answers without highlighting. More on that in a second, but you can change the font color by clicking on the "quote" as a reply to this message or "going advanced" off a quick reply, then clicking on the A (to the right of "sizes") and changing the color.
    2) Don't cheat by highlighting other answers. You're only cheating yourself. (Well, and everyone else.) And being really lame.
    3) The person who answers the most questions correctly wins the super-duper prize. If there is a tie ... well ... I haven't figured out how to break a tie, yet.
    4) What is the prize? Glad you asked. The winner gets to ... moderate me for a day! That's right. You can send me on an all-expense made trip to "you-own-me-ville!" Force me to delete or edit anything I post -- I am yours. Do with me as you please. (But be gentle; I am delicate.)
    PM me with any comments, questions or jokes about Jason Evans.
    Are you ready? Good. Sharpen those #2 pencils and let's get started!

1) When a thread is entitled "Duke vs. Kentucky," what is the subject?
    2) What was the original host (domain name?) for the Duke Basketball Report?
    3) What was the visual background on the original site?
    4a) What does "GGLC" stand for?
    4b) What prompted the coining of that phrase?
    5) Where does Jason Evans work?
    6) What was the title of the longest thread in DBR history (well, prior to the one currently growing on the off-topic board for that purporse)?
    7a) What was the title of the thread that prompted the mother of a player to respond in defense of her son?
    7b) What was the name of poster who started that thread?
    7c) What was the screen name of the player's mother who responded?
    8) Complete the phrase according to the famous thread title. "[Blank]
    Can't Play."
    9) What are Boswell and Julio's real first names?
    10) What player's father was an original poster on DBR?
    11) What two posters talked forever about a trek to see a Duke game
    that never materialized?
    12) What is the name for the ticket acquisition technique that involves standing outside Cameron in Duke garb?
    13) Which DBR poster has a standing promise to streak naked past the Morehead Planetarium if a certain unprecedented event occurs (which he now claims he can no longer honor)?
    14) What was the title of the famous thread that popped up after Carlos Boozer broke his foot against Maryland in 2001?
    15) During the run to the 2001 national title, a thread was started before each game for karmic purposes. What was the general title of that thread?
    16) According to DBR lore, whose pick-up prowess (and summer exploits) were Jordan-esque compared to his in-season performance?
    17) What is Throatybeard's favorite phrase used to describe fans who complain that the Crazies were so much better during their era?
    18a) Which DBR poster applied to be Duke's AD?
    18b) Was his application serious or a joke?
    19) Which of the following people has never posted on DBR? A) Shane Battier B) Jay Bilas C) Mike Gminski D) Althea Williams
    20) Who coined the phrase "neighborhood pub" to describe DBR?
    21) What Carolina big man did Wheat love to pump up?
    22) Who beats himself?
    23) Roughly how many fights began over the creation of the off-topic board?
    24) Who did bitter fans nickname "The Three Amigo$?"
    25) What is the title of the traditional thread started in advance of
    a Duke-Carolina game?
    26) What was the name of the group of DBR posters/grad students/Crazies that included Viking Guy, Mullet Man and Throatybeard
    27) Where is UNC located?
    28) In a famous "Separated at Birth," who was Matt Doherty compared to?
    29) Whose fans bombarded the very first DBR board, forcing Julio and Boswell to ask James to write the verification software?
    30) What former Duke player could beat any opponent one-on-five, steal their girlfriends and spin the opposing coach on one finger?
    Last edited by Jumbo; 03-26-2008 at 01:55 PM. Reason: typos and an answer was accidentally revealed

I'm a long-time lurker (main page, not always the boards) and infrequent poster. Thought I'd try my hand to make the point that not everyone who doesn't have a high post count is ignorant of how the site works! This was fun.

1) When a thread is entitled "Duke vs. Kentucky," what is the subject? BBQ (and how much better Eastern NC bbq is -- my bias!)
    2) What was the original host (domain name?) for the Duke Basketball Report? juliovision
    3) What was the visual background on the original site? parquet
    4a) What does "GGLC" stand for? no idea
    4b) What prompted the coining of that phrase? no idea
    5) Where does Jason Evans work? CNN
    6) What was the title of the longest thread in DBR history (well, prior to the one currently growing on the off-topic board for that purporse)? It's over?
    7a) What was the title of the thread that prompted the mother of a player to respond in defense of her son? JWon't?
    7b) What was the name of poster who started that thread? no idea, but sucks to be him/her!
    7c) What was the screen name of the player's mother who responded? DevilMomma
    Can't Play." Marty?
    9) What are Boswell and Julio's real first names? Julian and Mike
    10) What player's father was an original poster on DBR? Don't know, but I'm curious
    that never materialized? no idea
    12) What is the name for the ticket acquisition technique that involves standing outside Cameron in Duke garb? McGrupp method (extra points if I know him personally?)
    13) Which DBR poster has a standing promise to streak naked past the Morehead Planetarium if a certain unprecedented event occurs (which he now claims he can no longer homor)? Klemnop
    14) What was the title of the famous thread that popped up after Carlos Boozer broke his foot against Maryland in 2001? It's over
    15) During the run to the 2001 national title, a thread was started before each game for karmic purposes. What was the general title of that thread? How we beat [victim]
    16) According to DBR lore, whose pick-up prowess (and summer exploits) were Jordan-esque compared to his in-season performance? Nick Horvath
    17) What is Throatybeard's favorite phrase used to describe fans who complain that the Crazies were so much better during their era? Don't know, but I've definitely read his quick responses...
    18a) Which DBR poster applied to be Duke's AD? no idea
    18b) Was his application serious or a joke? I'll go with serious!
    19) Which of the following people has never posted on DBR? A) Shane Battier B) Jay Bilas C) Mike Gminski D) Althea Williams C
    20) Who coined the phrase "neighborhood pub" to describe DBR? (A: Stray Gator) Stray Gator
    21) What Carolina big man did Wheat love to pump up? Hmmm, don't know but feel like I should
    22) Who beats himself? Ademola Okulaja
    23) Roughly how many fights began over the creation of the off-topic board? 100? 200? Have they stopped yet?
    24) Who did bitter fans nickname "The Three Amigo$?" don't know... was Avery involved?
    a Duke-Carolina game?Status Check!
    26) What was the name of the group of DBR posters/grad students/Crazies that included Viking Guy, Mullet Man and Throatybeard The phalanx
    27) Where is UNC located? Hell!
    28) In a famous "Separated at Birth," who was Matt Doherty compared to? Sam the Eagle
    29) Whose fans bombarded the very first DBR board, forcing Julio and Boswell to ask James to write the verification software? Kentucky?
    30) What former Duke player could beat any opponent one-on-five, steal their girlfriends and spin the opposing coach on one finger? Duh -- Patrick Davidson

BBQ

Does he work?

6) What was the title of the longest thread in DBR history (well, prior to the one currently growing on the off-topic board for that purporse)?
    7a) What was the title of the thread that prompted the mother of a player to respond in defense of her son?
    Can't Play."

You mean that is not their real names???

that never materialized?
    12) What is the name for the ticket acquisition technique that involves standing outside Cameron in Duke garb?
    13) Which DBR poster has a standing promise to streak naked past the Morehead Planetarium if a certain unprecedented event occurs (which he now claims he can no longer honor)?
    the word "he" means I really don't care!!!

14) What was the title of the famous thread that popped up after Carlos Boozer broke his foot against Maryland in 2001?
    15) During the run to the 2001 national title, a thread was started before each game for karmic purposes. What was the general title of that thread?
    16) According to DBR lore, whose pick-up prowess (and summer exploits) were Jordan-esque compared to his in-season performance?
    Jason Evans?

17) What is Throatybeard's favorite phrase used to describe fans who complain that the Crazies were so much better during their era?
    19) Which of the following people has never posted on DBR? A) Shane Battier B) Jay Bilas C) Mike Gminski D) Althea Williams
    22) Who beats himself?
    a Duke-Carolina game?
    26) What was the name of the group of DBR posters/grad students/Crazies that included Viking Guy, Mullet Man and Throatybeard
    in the "dark side"

29) Whose fans bombarded the very first DBR board, forcing Julio and Boswell to ask James to write the verification software?

We have verification software?

30) What former Duke player could beat any opponent one-on-five, steal their girlfriends and spin the opposing coach on one finger?

Bar-B-Q
    juliovision
    can't remember. Julio's cat was on the main page. Was it an orange basketball?
    CNN - Hotlanta
    Next Football Coach Search
    What's wrong with Jason?
    Jason Evans?
    DevilMomma
    Can't Play."
    Shane?
    Jules and Mike?
    that never materialized?
    The McGrupp Method
    Klemnop. if Clemson beats UNC in Chapel Hill
    "It's Over"
    How we beat XXX
    Nick Horvath
    And Bill Werber served the beer.
    Former Duke Athlete?
    Serious I'm sure
    C) G-Man (at least to my knowledge)
    James
    Kris Lang?
    22) Who beats himself?
    Ademola Okulaja beats himself <clap clap>
    over 50
    Brand, Avery, Maggette
    a Duke-Carolina game?
    Status Check
    I should know this, but can't remember
    Hell
    Sam the Eagle from "The Muppet Show"
    Kentucky?
    Patrick Davidson
    "There can BE only one."

Answers beneath the questions in White (as requested)

BBQ
    juliovision.com
    basketball floor
    going giddy losing control
    shane battier committing to duke
    CNN
    It's Over
    ??
    feldspar
    devilmomma
    Can't Play."
    Shavlik
    Thomas, JD
    Nate James
    that never materialized?
    Jumbo and TieGuy
    ??
    Klemnop
    It's Over
    How to beat XYZ
    Chris Duhon
    ?
    Feldspar
    serious
    Mike Gminski
    Feldspar
    Serge Zwikker
    22) Who beats himself?
    Ademola Okulaja
    ??
    Raymond Felton, Sean May, Rashad McCants
    a Duke-Carolina game?
    Status Check
    ??
    Hell
    Sam the Eagle - Muppets
    UNC
    Patrick Davidson

So I'm not going to answer these, as I already have the power to moderate Jumbo, but I think Jumboe did a really nice job with this, and hopefully once the quiz is graded we can enlighten folks to the stories behind the answers that they don't know!

Well done, Jumbo. (And yes, that will be the last public comment you recieve from me!)

Quite a few of these slightly predate my time here, so there are some stabs in the dark.

1) When a thread is entitled "Duke vs. Kentucky," what is the subject? BBQ
    2) What was the original host (domain name?) for the Duke Basketball Report? juliovision.com
    3) What was the visual background on the original site? parquet basketball court
    4a) What does "GGLC" stand for? getting giddy, losing control
    4b) What prompted the coining of that phrase? the avery, battier, brand, burgess recruiting class? that's a stab in the dark
    5) Where does Jason Evans work? cnn
    6) What was the title of the longest thread in DBR history (well, prior to the one currently growing on the off-topic board for that purporse)? new site or old? new site is 'reading the tea leaves on PP.' old may have been the 'who am I?' thread, but you were probably too busy being banned at the time to notice
    7a) What was the title of the thread that prompted the mother of a player to respond in defense of her son? something about 1) jason williams going pro or 2) students at BC planning to kill jason williams
    7b) What was the name of poster who started that thread? jumbo. This isn't the SATs -- I'm not penalized for wrong answers.
    7c) What was the screen name of the player's mother who responded? devilmomma
    Can't Play." Marty
    9) What are Boswell and Julio's real first names? mike and julian
    10) What player's father was an original poster on DBR? grant hill
    that never materialized? ham salad and sun tzu
    12) What is the name for the ticket acquisition technique that involves standing outside Cameron in Duke garb? mcgrupp's never fail uber ticket winning scheme?
    13) Which DBR poster has a standing promise to streak naked past the Morehead Planetarium if a certain unprecedented event occurs (which he now claims he can no longer honor)? klemnop
    14) What was the title of the famous thread that popped up after Carlos Boozer broke his foot against Maryland in 2001? it's over
    15) During the run to the 2001 national title, a thread was started before each game for karmic purposes. What was the general title of that thread? How we beat [blah]
    16) According to DBR lore, whose pick-up prowess (and summer exploits) were Jordan-esque compared to his in-season performance? Nick Horvath
    18a) Which DBR poster applied to be Duke's AD? al featherston
    18b) Was his application serious or a joke? serious
    19) Which of the following people has never posted on DBR? A) Shane Battier B) Jay Bilas C) Mike Gminski D) Althea Williams C
    20) Who coined the phrase "neighborhood pub" to describe DBR? Pretty sure this was Stray Gator
    21) What Carolina big man did Wheat love to pump up? brendan haywood
    23) Roughly how many fights began over the creation of the off-topic board? What's the unicode symbol for infinity?
    24) Who did bitter fans nickname "The Three Amigo$?" this was before my time, but i think it was the first group of players to leave early (so, brand, avery, and maggette
    a Duke-Carolina game? status check
    26) What was the name of the group of DBR posters/grad students/Crazies that included Viking Guy, Mullet Man and Throatybeard 4 fat guys phalanx and throaty
    27) Where is UNC located? hell
    28) In a famous "Separated at Birth," who was Matt Doherty compared to? sam the eagle
    29) Whose fans bombarded the very first DBR board, forcing Julio and Boswell to ask James to write the verification software? uva. That's just a guess based on their performance over at snrub.
    30) What former Duke player could beat any opponent one-on-five, steal their girlfriends and spin the opposing coach on one finger? patrick davidson

1) When a thread is entitled "Duke vs. Kentucky," what is the subject?BBQ of course
    2) What was the original host (domain name?) for the Duke Basketball Report? www.juliovision.com
    3) What was the visual background on the original site? ehh...memory bad but I'm pretty sure it was a basketball court
    4a) What does "GGLC" stand for?Getting Giddy Losing Control
    4b) What prompted the coining of that phrase?Think it was excitement regarding the Jason Williams, Boozer, Dunleavy recruiting class
    5) Where does Jason Evans work?Lol - is this a trick question? I think technically, it's CNN.
    6) What was the title of the longest thread in DBR history (well, prior to the one currently growing on the off-topic board for that purporse)?I think it was "Who am I" - basically all the posters telling their life stories
    7a) What was the title of the thread that prompted the mother of a player to respond in defense of her son?Something like "Jason Williams Overrated"?
    7b) What was the name of poster who started that thread?Clearly Jumbo
    7c) What was the screen name of the player's mother who responded?Devil Momma
    Can't Play."Nate James
    9) What are Boswell and Julio's real first names?Used to know this ... but didn't they both have their first and middle names legally changed to Patrick Davidson a few years back
    10) What player's father was an original poster on DBR?Lee M.?
    that never materialized?Carlos and Throatybeard
    12) What is the name for the ticket acquisition technique that involves standing outside Cameron in Duke garb?I believe the technical term is "begging"
    13) Which DBR poster has a standing promise to streak naked past the Morehead Planetarium if a certain unprecedented event occurs (which he now claims he can no longer honor)? Klemnop
    14) What was the title of the famous thread that popped up after Carlos Boozer broke his foot against Maryland in 2001?It's Over
    15) During the run to the 2001 national title, a thread was started before each game for karmic purposes. What was the general title of that thread?It's Over
    16) According to DBR lore, whose pick-up prowess (and summer exploits) were Jordan-esque compared to his in-season performance?Nick Horvath
    18a) Which DBR poster applied to be Duke's AD?Tom Butters
    18b) Was his application serious or a joke?Serious
    19) Which of the following people has never posted on DBR? A) Shane Battier B) Jay Bilas C) Mike Gminski D) Althea WilliamsGminski - Battier posted after winning favorite Dukie aware. Bilas posts from time to time. J Will's mom used to post on a semi-regular basis while he was here
    20) Who coined the phrase "neighborhood pub" to describe DBR? Julio
    21) What Carolina big man did Wheat love to pump up?Kris Lang
    22) Who beats himself?Adelma Okulaja
    24) Who did bitter fans nickname "The Three Amigo$?"Brand, Avery and Maggette, after they became the first Duke players to leave early for the NBA draft
    a Duke-Carolina game?Status Check
    26) What was the name of the group of DBR posters/grad students/Crazies that included Viking Guy, Mullet Man and ThroatybeardThree guys that have never been in my mom's kitchen?
    27) Where is UNC located?Let's see ...it's warm and toasty ...there's a guy dressed in red with horns ... smells like brimstone... Gotta be Chapel Hell
    28) In a famous "Separated at Birth," who was Matt Doherty compared to?Sam the Eagle
    29) Whose fans bombarded the very first DBR board, forcing Julio and Boswell to ask James to write the verification software?Hmmm... Kentucky?
    30) What former Duke player could beat any opponent one-on-five, steal their girlfriends and spin the opposing coach on one finger?[/QUOTE]Lol - if you hadn't said "former" player, I would have guessed Marty. I'll go with Patrick Davidson, though Jay Heaps could probably do all those things as well
    Last edited by Jumbo; 03-26-2008 at 12:09 PM. Reason: removed quote tags

2) What was the original host (domain name?) for the Duke Basketball Report? www.juliovision.com
    3) What was the visual background on the original site? parquet floor
    4a) What does "GGLC" stand for? getting giddy losing control
    4b) What prompted the coining of that phrase? recruitment of the JWill/Boozer/Dunleavy/Horvath/Sanders/Buckner class
    6) What was the title of the longest thread in DBR history (well, prior to the one currently growing on the off-topic board for that purporse)? Bush Mispronounces Battier
    7a) What was the title of the thread that prompted the mother of a player to respond in defense of her son? I'm Disappointed in Jason Williams
    7b) What was the name of poster who started that thread? can't remember her name, darn it!
    7c) What was the screen name of the player's mother who responded? Devil Momma
    Can't Play." Nate James
    9) What are Boswell and Julio's real first names? Mike and Julian (or Darryl is his real first name maybe?)
    10) What player's father was an original poster on DBR? Carlos Boozer
    that never materialized? ..ahhh…can't remember at all!
    12) What is the name for the ticket acquisition technique that involves standing outside Cameron in Duke garb? The McGrupp Method
    13) Which DBR poster has a standing promise to streak naked past the Morehead Planetarium if a certain unprecedented event occurs (which he now claims he can no longer honor)? Klemnop
    14) What was the title of the famous thread that popped up after Carlos Boozer broke his foot against Maryland in 2001? It's Over
    15) During the run to the 2001 national title, a thread was started before each game for karmic purposes. What was the general title of that thread? How We Beat (whoever)
    16) According to DBR lore, whose pick-up prowess (and summer exploits) were Jordan-esque compared to his in-season performance? Horvath
    17) What is Throatybeard's favorite phrase used to describe fans who complain that the Crazies were so much better during their era? And Bill Werber Served the Beer
    18a) Which DBR poster applied to be Duke's AD? Ozzie4Duke
    18b) Was his application serious or a joke? Depends on who you ask ;-)
    19) Which of the following people has never posted on DBR? A) Shane Battier B) Jay Bilas C) Mike Gminski D) Althea Williams Gminski (as far as I know…I know the others all did)
    20) Who coined the phrase "neighborhood pub" to describe DBR? Stray Gator
    21) What Carolina big man did Wheat love to pump up? Orlando Melendez
    23) Roughly how many fights began over the creation of the off-topic board? 15 (I have no idea…did we count?)
    24) Who did bitter fans nickname "The Three Amigo$?" Brand, Avery & Maggette
    a Duke-Carolina game? Status Check
    26) What was the name of the group of DBR posters/grad students/Crazies that included Viking Guy, Mullet Man and Throatybeard the Phalanx
    27) Where is UNC located? Hell
    28) In a famous "Separated at Birth," who was Matt Doherty compared to? Muppet Sam the Eagle
    29) Whose fans bombarded the very first DBR board, forcing Julio and Boswell to ask James to write the verification software? UNC
    30) What former Duke player could beat any opponent one-on-five, steal their girlfriends and spin the opposing coach on one finger? Patrick Davidson

I can barely remember to take the trash out on Tuesday night so my performance is lacking. I am proud that I knew 21), I think.

barbeque
    juliovision
    Parquet floor (Boston Garden)
    CNN
    Devil momma (JWill’s mom
    Can't Play."
    Nate James
    Julian, Mike(?)
    that never materialized?
    Duketaylor, Colchar(?)
    Klemnop
    How to defeat (….)
    Nick Horvath
    Duketaylor18b) Was his application serious or a joke?
    Giminski?
    Boswell
    Brian Bersticker
    22) Who beats himself?
    infinite
    Brand, Avery and Maggette
    a Duke-Carolina game?
    Maryland?

OK, I'm lame. I would get like a 5/30 but I'm really enjoying all this trivia!

2) What was the original host (domain name?) for the Duke Basketball Report? juliovision
    3) What was the visual background on the original site? no idea
    5) Where does Jason Evans work? CNN, in Atlanta
    7c) What was the screen name of the player's mother who responded? DevilMomma
    Can't Play." Marty
    9) What are Boswell and Julio's real first names? Mike and Julian
    that never materialized?
    12) What is the name for the ticket acquisition technique that involves standing outside Cameron in Duke garb? McGrupp Method
    14) What was the title of the famous thread that popped up after Carlos Boozer broke his foot against Maryland in 2001? It's Over
    15) During the run to the 2001 national title, a thread was started before each game for karmic purposes. What was the general title of that thread? How we beat ___
    16) According to DBR lore, whose pick-up prowess (and summer exploits) were Jordan-esque compared to his in-season performance? Nick Horvath (and he was legendary over the summer!)
    17) What is Throatybeard's favorite phrase used to describe fans who complain that the Crazies were so much better during their era? and Bill Werber served the beer?
    18a) Which DBR poster applied to be Duke's AD? formerdukeathlete
    18b) Was his application serious or a joke? both
    21) What Carolina big man did Wheat love to pump up? The 'Stick
    23) Roughly how many fights began over the creation of the off-topic board? How many tea leaves are there in China?
    a Duke-Carolina game? Status Check!
    26) What was the name of the group of DBR posters/grad students/Crazies that included Viking Guy, Mullet Man and Throatybeard phalanx
    27) Where is UNC located? Chapel Hell
    28) In a famous "Separated at Birth," who was Matt Doherty compared to? Sam the Eagle
    29) Whose fans bombarded the very first DBR board, forcing Julio and Boswell to ask James to write the verification software? UVA?
    30) What former Duke player could beat any opponent one-on-five, steal their girlfriends and spin the opposing coach on one finger? Patrick Davidson
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

B-B-Q and bare-footed women
    Juliovision
    Wood
    Getting Giddy, Losing Control
    Coffee and/or the onset of basketball season
    CNN Rumor Room but he's been flooding Fox News with applications recently
    Haven't a clue but it probably contained nothing but JE posts
    Althea Williams?
    DevilMomma
    Can't Play."
    Nate James
    I don't know but I've been to their houses to pick up tickets for the Georgetown game so I should get half credit
    Carlos Boozer's?
    that never materialized?
    McGrupp Method
    Klemnop. We're very disappointed in you Klem. Just another saggy butt in Chapel Hill would blend in quite nicely
    "It's Over"
    Carmen Wallace
    It's not Screaming Howler Panic Monkeys but that would've been a good question for this list.
    Tieguy?
    You can never be sure with Tieguy
    G-Man, even by Duke fans' standards he's an elitist
    Which one didn't he? Salvadori?
    22) Who beats himself?
    Ademola Okulajah and I hear he's undefeated
    Battier, Williams and Carrawell
    a Duke-Carolina game?
    It's <insert time> and Carolina can still go to Hell
    The Three Musketeers?
    In Hell
    Beaker I think, one of the Muppets anyway
    Barbara Streisand's
    30) What former Duke player could beat any opponent one-on-five, steal their girlfriends and spin the opposing coach on one finger?[/QUOTE]
    Kenny Dennard?
    Last edited by Jumbo; 03-26-2008 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Removed quote tag

Waterloo, Ontario (unfortunately, no longer in London England).
    I'll take a stab at some of these but am not really interested in the przie should I win. After all, claiming the prize would involve having to read everything Jumbo posted throughout the course of a day and I'm not sure I could deal with that.

BBQ

juliovision.com

Basketball court

Getting Giddy Losing Control

Battier's recruiting class

He doesn't - but he is employed by CNN

Bush Mispronounces Battier

Jason Williams is Overrated

Feldspar?

Devil Momma

Can't Play."
    Shav

Julian and Mike

Grant's?

that never materialized?
    Me (Colchar) and DanfromNY (whatever happened to Dan anyway? Haven't seen or heard from him in ages.)

The McGrupp Method

Wheat

It's Over

How We Beat (insert opponent here)

Horvath's

And Bill Werber Served the Beer

Duketaylor

Probably serious

C) Mike Gminski

Boswell

Brian Bersticker

22) Who beats himself?
    Ademola Okulaja

Too many to count but let's call it 50(ish)

Brand, Maggette, Avery

a Duke-Carolina game?
    Status Check

26) What was the name of the group of DBR posters/grad students/Crazies that included Viking Guy, Mullet Man and Throatybeard?
    The Phalanx

The depths of hell

The eagle character from The Muppets

Carolina?

Patrick Davidson

1) When a thread is entitled "Duke vs. Kentucky," what is the subject?Barbeque
    2) What was the original host (domain name?) for the Duke Basketball Report?I think you're looking for juliovision, but I think the answer might be prodigy. Before my time, though.
    3) What was the visual background on the original site?parquet floor
    4a) What does "GGLC" stand for?Getting Giddy, Losing Control
    4b) What prompted the coining of that phrase?The recruitment of Avery, Brand, Battier and the crown jewel, Chris Burgess
    5) Where does Jason Evans work?Trick question - the answer is that he spend all his time posting. He is, however, employed by CNN.
    6) What was the title of the longest thread in DBR history (well, prior to the one currently growing on the off-topic board for that purporse)?"Bush Misprounces Battier"? In retrospect, we should have been more concerned about that lack of attention to detail.
    Can't Play."Nate James
    9) What are Boswell and Julio's real first names?Michael and Julian
    that never materialized?
    12) What is the name for the ticket acquisition technique that involves standing outside Cameron in Duke garb?McGrupp Method
    13) Which DBR poster has a standing promise to streak naked past the Morehead Planetarium if a certain unprecedented event occurs (which he now claims he can no longer honor)?Hang naked from the sundial, as I recall. Klemnop.
    14) What was the title of the famous thread that popped up after Carlos Boozer broke his foot against Maryland in 2001?It's over.
    15) During the run to the 2001 national title, a thread was started before each game for karmic purposes. What was the general title of that thread?"How we beat [x]"
    16) According to DBR lore, whose pick-up prowess (and summer exploits) were Jordan-esque compared to his in-season performance?Nick Horvath
    17) What is Throatybeard's favorite phrase used to describe fans who complain that the Crazies were so much better during their era?"And Grant Hill poured the beer."
    18a) Which DBR poster applied to be Duke's AD?Ozzie
    18b) Was his application serious or a joke?Serious!
    19) Which of the following people has never posted on DBR? A) Shane Battier B) Jay Bilas C) Mike Gminski D) Althea WilliamsC
    21) What Carolina big man did Wheat love to pump up?The unforgettable Brian Bersticker
    22) Who beats himself?Ademola Okulaja
    23) Roughly how many fights began over the creation of the off-topic board?Billions and billions.
    24) Who did bitter fans nickname "The Three Amigo$?"Brand, Avery and Maggette
    a Duke-Carolina game?Status check
    26) What was the name of the group of DBR posters/grad students/Crazies that included Viking Guy, Mullet Man and ThroatybeardThe Four Fat Guy Phalanx
    27) Where is UNC located?In Hell
    28) In a famous "Separated at Birth," who was Matt Doherty compared to?Sam the Eagle
    29) Whose fans bombarded the very first DBR board, forcing Julio and Boswell to ask James to write the verification software?Kentucky
    30) What former Duke player could beat any opponent one-on-five, steal their girlfriends and spin the opposing coach on one finger?Patrick Davidson

Answers

1) When a thread is entitled "Duke vs. Kentucky," what is the subject? Barbecue
    3) What was the visual background on the original site? parquet floor
    4a) What does "GGLC" stand for? grinning, giddy, losing control
    4b) What prompted the coining of that phrase? the recruitment of the Boozer/Williams, etc. class
    6) What was the title of the longest thread in DBR history (well, prior to the one currently growing on the off-topic board for that purporse)?Bush Mispronounces Battier
    7a) What was the title of the thread that prompted the mother of a player to respond in defense of her son?I'm Disappointed in Jason Williams
    7b) What was the name of poster who started that thread? DUNNO
    Can't Play."
    9) What are Boswell and Julio's real first names?Mike and Julian
    that never materialized?
    12) What is the name for the ticket acquisition technique that involves standing outside Cameron in Duke garb?the McGrupp method
    13) Which DBR poster has a standing promise to streak naked past the Morehead Planetarium if a certain unprecedented event occurs (which he now claims he can no longer honor)?Klemnop
    14) What was the title of the famous thread that popped up after Carlos Boozer broke his foot against Maryland in 2001?It's Over
    15) During the run to the 2001 national title, a thread was started before each game for karmic purposes. What was the general title of that thread?"How we Beat [Name of Opponent]"
    17) What is Throatybeard's favorite phrase used to describe fans who complain that the Crazies were so much better during their era?... and Bill Werber served the beer.
    18a) Which DBR poster applied to be Duke's AD?Ozzie
    18b) Was his application serious or a joke?Joke
    19) Which of the following people has never posted on DBR? A) Shane Battier B) Jay Bilas C) Mike Gminski D) Althea WilliamsC
    21) What Carolina big man did Wheat love to pump up?Brian Bersticker
    22) Who beats himself?Ademola Okulaja
    24) Who did bitter fans nickname "The Three Amigo$?"Brand, Avery and Magette
    a Duke-Carolina game?Status Check!
    26) What was the name of the group of DBR posters/grad students/Crazies that included Viking Guy, Mullet Man and ThroatybeardPhalanx
    27) Where is UNC located?Hell, Chapel Hell, or Chappaheeya
    28) In a famous "Separated at Birth," who was Matt Doherty compared to?Sam the Eagle Muppet
    29) Whose fans bombarded the very first DBR board, forcing Julio and Boswell to ask James to write the verification software?Kentucky
    30) What former Duke player could beat any opponent one-on-five, steal their girlfriends and spin the opposing coach on one finger?patrick Davidson

[/QUOTE]

Long time lurker, infrequent poster, let's see how I do

BBQ
    Juliovision
    basketball hardwood floor?
    don't know
    don't know
    CNN
    don't know
    don't know
    don't know
    Devilmomma
    Can't Play."
    don't know
    don't know
    don't know
    that never materialized?
    don't know
    don't know
    Klemnop
    It's Over
    How We Beat ___
    Nick Horvath. Best shooter on the team
    Sreaming Howler Panic Monkeys
    don't know
    don't know
    G-Man
    don't know
    Kris Lang?
    22) Who beats himself?
    Ademola Okulaja
    don't know
    Brand, Avery, Maggette
    a Duke-Carolina game?
    Status Check!
    Phalynx
    Hell
    Sam the Eagle
    UNC?
    Patrick Davidson
    Last edited by mkirsh; 03-26-2008 at 12:30 PM. Reason: formatting

Here goes...

I also don't need to "moderate" if by some strange chance I win this... As a DBR reader from the beginning--but not a frequent one for the past few years thanks mainly to being home full time with the kids (no more lurking while at work!) we'll see what I can do -- maybe half of them?

Barbecue

juliovision.com

3) What was the visual background on the original site? Oh gosh, I don't know

4a) What does "GGLC" stand for? G???? Giddy Losing Control?

4b) What prompted the coining of that phrase? ?

CNN

6) What was the title of the longest thread in DBR history (well, prior to the one currently growing on the off-topic board for that purporse)? yikes-- i forget

7a) What was the title of the thread that prompted the mother of a player to respond in defense of her son? ?

7b) What was the name of poster who started that thread? ?

7c) What was the screen name of the player's mother who responded? I remember Jason Williams' mom posting -- but I don't remember the thread. Was it someone else? And I don't remember her screen name.

Can't Play." Easy --- NATE JAMES

Mike and Julian

Boozer?

that never materialized? ?

12) What is the name for the ticket acquisition technique that involves standing outside Cameron in Duke garb? ?

14) What was the title of the famous thread that popped up after Carlos Boozer broke his foot against Maryland in 2001? ?

15) During the run to the 2001 national title, a thread was started before each game for karmic purposes. What was the general title of that thread? Let me guess -- something to do with Chi?

16) According to DBR lore, whose pick-up prowess (and summer exploits) were Jordan-esque compared to his in-season performance? I don't know--Ricky Price?

17) What is Throatybeard's favorite phrase used to describe fans who complain that the Crazies were so much better during their era? ?

18a) Which DBR poster applied to be Duke's AD? ?

18b) Was his application serious or a joke? ?

Mike Gminski? I know Bilas and Althea Williams did...

20) Who coined the phrase "neighborhood pub" to describe DBR? ?

21) What Carolina big man did Wheat love to pump up? ?

22) Who beats himself? Makhtar!!!
    -- OH GEEZ -- I just looked. OKULAJA -- I should beat myself for forgetting that! But Mahktar probably beats himself too.

Random guess -- 20?

24) Who did bitter fans nickname "The Three Amigo$?" Avery, Brand and Maggette

a Duke-Carolina game? Go to Hell Carolina?

26) What was the name of the group of DBR posters/grad students/Crazies that included Viking Guy, Mullet Man and Throatybeard ?

27) Where is UNC located? Chappa Heeya

28) In a famous "Separated at Birth," who was Matt Doherty compared to? ?

29) Whose fans bombarded the very first DBR board, forcing Julio and Boswell to ask James to write the verification software? UNC?

Well, that has to be GOD -- Johnny Dawkins...
    Last edited by Susan; 03-26-2008 at 12:50 PM. Reason: additional comment in #22

Waterloo, Ontario (unfortunately, no longer in London England).
    When are you posting the answers anyway? I know I missed some and its bugging me not being able to remember the real answers.

Barbecue
    juliovision
    Parquet-style basketball floor
    going giddy losing control
    Don't remember. Was it thinking about how awesome the Brand, Battier, Burgess, Avery recruiting class was?
    CNN. Hopefully his office window wasn't knocked out by the tornado
    Don't know
    Don't remember but it was about Jason Williams
    Don't know
    Devil Momma
    Can't Play."
    Nate James
    Mike and Julian
    Trajan Langdon?
    that never materialized?
    Don't know
    McGrupp Method
    Klemnop
    It's Over
    How we beat [insert upcoming opponent name here]
    Nick Horvath
    Don't remember
    Don't know
    Serious?
    C) Mike Gminski
    Stray Gator, and I knew that one without Jumbo's since edited big hint
    Kris Lang. If I am wrong may I be forced to eat a Carolina blue-colored key lime pie. Give me that pie b/c I can't believe that I forgot it was Brian Bersticker
    22) Who beats himself?
    Ade-mola Oku-laja, Ade-mola Oku-laja, Ade-mola Oku-laja beats himself
    Avery, Maggette, and Brand.
    a Duke-Carolina game?
    Status Check
    The Phalanx
    8 miles from heaven or in the fiery bowels of Hades take your pick
    Sam the Eagle from the Muppets
    Kentucky, I was shocked that they knew how to use the Internet in 1996
    Patrick Davidson
    Last edited by tbyers11; 03-26-2008 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Chasitising myself for getting #21 wrong