Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Ycch, Beer!

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Another dog here: Michelob Ultra Tuscan Orange Grapefruit. Once again, a leftove no one wanted from a reception several weeks ago. A light beer with flavors is what the label says. More like orange-grapefruit Kool Aid. Little head, rather flat. Next to no hop palate or malty sweetness. Another forgettable beverage. ABV=4.2%.
    Some left overs are better left alone--the fact that this one was left over is a compliment to the people at the reception.

Quote Originally Posted by captmojo View Post
    Jeez! Give it to Mikey. You're willing to try most anything DD. Ain't 'cha?
    That was pretty embarrassing, wasn't it?

Anybody remember "Olde Frothingslosh, the Beer with the Foam on the Bottom?" It was brewed in Pittsburg, PA and was terrrible. They packaged it with the lables upside down.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Anybody remember "Olde Frothingslosh, the Beer with the Foam on the Bottom?" It was brewed in Pittsburg, PA and was terrrible. They packaged it with the lables upside down.
    That would make 2 terrible beers from Pittsburgh with which I am familiar.

I just dont like Beer, period!!!

Do they still make Stroh's beer? I remember when Jimmy Carter was president, his brother had a Beer. Wasn't it Billy Beer?

The smell of beer.....yuck.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilWearsPrada View Post
    I just dont like Beer, period!!!

Do they still make Stroh's beer? I remember when Jimmy Carter was president, his brother had a Beer. Wasn't it Billy Beer?

The smell of beer.....yuck.
    Billy was, rather famously, a fan of Pabst Blue Ribbon (speaking of Ycch) until they figured out that money could be made by launching Billy Beer, which was similar to PBR, only worse.

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!

Heineken

In the mid '80's during my first visit to Amsterdam (I was stationed just north of Frankfurt) I went on a canal tour with some buddies. Part of the tour took us into the Heineken plant. A guy on the tour asked the guide the difference between the brown bottled Heineken and the kind in the green bottles that we get in the states. The guide pointed to the canal. Perfect!

That would make 2 terrible beers from Pittsburgh with which I am familiar.
    DDeac, I need to offer a small point of clarification about my "auld sod." That other terrible beer is no longer from Pittsburgh. It stuck the city with a couple million in unpaid utility bills and fled for the hills east of town, to the abandoned Rolling Rock brewery in Latrobe (since Big # "33" is now made in Newark NJ by our good friends at Anheuser-Busch).

Here's a summary (a few months old) about the current state of Pittsburgh beer. There are a couple that I haven't sampled - hopefully will fix that when we head home to Ma and Pa Turk's for the holidays...

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10217/1077577-440.stm

Quote Originally Posted by Turk View Post
    DDeac, I need to offer a small point of clarification about my "auld sod." That other terrible beer is no longer from Pittsburgh. It stuck the city with a couple million in unpaid utility bills and fled for the hills east of town, to the abandoned Rolling Rock brewery in Latrobe (since Big # "33" is now made in Newark NJ by our good friends at Anheuser-Busch).

Here's a summary (a few months old) about the current state of Pittsburgh beer. There are a couple that I haven't sampled - hopefully will fix that when we head home to Ma and Pa Turk's for the holidays...

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10217/1077577-440.stm
    Good stuff, Turk. Thanks for sharing. Sounds/looks like that might make a nice pub crawl. You need to visit the Turk parents, pick up a couple mixed 6ers and join us for a MBB game this season.

Just reviving this thread as mattman91 gave me a beer last week that might qualify here. I may try it tomorrow night.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Just reviving this thread as mattman91 gave me a beer last week that might qualify here. I may try it tomorrow night.
    I couldn't finish mine. Maybe you and or Fuse can be a champ and fight through the full 16 ounces

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    I couldn't finish mine. Maybe you and or Fuse can be a champ and fight through the full 16 ounces
    Was it finally the pumpkin peach beer that Budweiser has been warning us about since February?!?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Was it finally the pumpkin peach beer that Budweiser has been warning us about since February?!?
    The funny/ironic/pathetic/hypocritical thing is those @#$%s bought this brewery:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/anheuser...ing-1422038807

Who produced this:

https://untappd.com/b/elysian-brewin...n-amber/834072

I don't know whether to ROTFLMAO or salute them with an uplifted middle digit (or two).

I don't know whether to ROTFLMAO or salute them with an uplifted middle digit (or two).
    I fail to see why those are mutually exclusive in this context. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I fail to see why those are mutually exclusive in this context. ;-)
    Let me drink a couple high gravity ales and I might be able to pull that off, even at my age.

Both the revival of this thread and the fair warning has me truly frightened.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Both the revival of this thread and the fair warning has me truly frightened.
    I may try mine tonight but delay the review until after we meet later this week hopefully, just to enhance the anticipation/terror/fright.

Copied from Ymm, Beer...

Salamander Slam-Frog Level Brewing (Waynesville, NC)

This was a "make-up beer" from mattman91 last week on our visit to Beer City, USA. He did warn me of a couple things about this IPA but I drank it anyway. Poured a cloudy orange color with a minimal head, partially because of gentle decanting due to the warning of particulates in the ale and partly because it's not very carbonated. Aromas of peach, apricot, mango and orange with tastes of the same. Did I mention the particles? Bitterness was modest and rated at 73 and was reasonably balanced with an ABV of 7%, both pretty standard for an IPA. Heady Topper suggests drinking from the can so as to not disturb the "hop resins" if I'm not misremembering from my 16 ounce serving last summer. To be clear, this is not a rival/competitor to one of the best beers I've ever tasted but it's a reference point. I wouldn't go to Waynesville to seek out a draft of this nor would I choose it off a shelf if I ever saw it again, but I'm a beer hunter so I sincerely appreciate mattman91 including this in his box last week as he thought of brews fuse and I might not find in the Raleigh area. So, in conclusion, not bad enough to include in the Ycch, Beer thread but not one I'd drink again. But, I must admit, I did have a Shiva chilled also just in case I found the Salamander unpalatable as mattman thought I might and couldn't/wouldn't finish the entire 16 ounces.

Above credit belongs to devildeac.

However, let me say WTF on this beer.

The nose was deceiving, really amazing. Fresh pineapple, guava, tropical fruit nose.
    I was really excited to try it after the nose in spite of the pour being murky.

To be polite, this beer tasted like frogs and salamanders had been swimming in it.
    It was awful.

I took one sip and made the command decision that it might be powerful enough to clean the blades in my disposal. Down the disposal it went.

I rarely pour out a beer, and may have been predisposed based on the warnings given.
    Mattman, let me know what I owe you for this- no one should have to pay money for this beer.
    I've had first batch home brews that were far superior.

Bad enough that unless someone I trusted told me something from this brewery was good, I would not even consider it.

Always fun to try something new even if it is La Terrible (bad pun, I know).

Copied from Ymm, Beer...

This was a "make-up beer" from mattman91 last week on our visit to Beer City, USA. He did warn me of a couple things about this IPA but I drank it anyway. Poured a cloudy orange color with a minimal head, partially because of gentle decanting due to the warning of particulates in the ale and partly because it's not very carbonated. Aromas of peach, apricot, mango and orange with tastes of the same. Did I mention the particles? Bitterness was modest and rated at 73 and was reasonably balanced with an ABV of 7%, both pretty standard for an IPA. Heady Topper suggests drinking from the can so as to not disturb the "hop resins" if I'm not misremembering from my 16 ounce serving last summer. To be clear, this is not a rival/competitor to one of the best beers I've ever tasted but it's a reference point. I wouldn't go to Waynesville to seek out a draft of this nor would I choose it off a shelf if I ever saw it again, but I'm a beer hunter so I sincerely appreciate mattman91 including this in his box last week as he thought of brews fuse and I might not find in the Raleigh area. So, in conclusion, not bad enough to include in the Ycch, Beer thread but not one I'd drink again. But, I must admit, I did have a Shiva chilled also just in case I found the Salamander unpalatable as mattman thought I might and couldn't/wouldn't finish the entire 16 ounces.

The nose was deceiving, really amazing. Fresh pineapple, guava, tropical fruit nose.

To be polite, this beer tasted like frogs and salamanders had been swimming in it.
    It was awful.

I took one sip and made the command decision that it might be powerful enough to clean the blades in my disposal. Down the disposal it went.

I rarely pour out a beer, and may have been predisposed based on the warnings given.
    Mattman, let me know what I owe you for this- no one should have to pay money for this beer.

Bad enough that unless someone I trusted told me something from this brewery was good, I would not even consider it.

I warned you!

I could not finish mine either. Not sure how DD was able to consume the entire 16 oz.

I have one left in the fridge that will not go to waste. It is the perfect size for target practice for my new Glock 19

Copied from Ymm, Beer...

It was awful.

I warned you!

I could not finish mine either. Not sure how DD was able to consume the entire 16 oz.

I have one left in the fridge that will not go to waste. It is the perfect size for target practice for my new Glock 19
    I usually post a bit more than this but:

24.gif24.gif

Good thing was, it didn't cost fuse or me anything for this solvent as it was a "make-up" call or beer from mattman from our meeting earlier this year. I'm quite confident the remainder of mattman's make-up beers will be of excellent quality as I very much enjoyed the Shiva and truly look forward to the Valdez and La Bonte. Plus, he guided us to 3 fine brewing establishments on Asheville's South Slope and selected very tasty beverages for his enjoyment last week. It's also kind of ironic that I told him if I didn't like the beer, I'd shoot the beverage and not the bearer. So, he goes on to mention his Glock 19.

I hope this thread doesn't get much longer.