Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ycch, Beer!

ychh, beer

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    The idea has been bandied about for long enough now -- time to take action!

I'll start with:

Rolling Rock. (Swill in a bottle.)
    Dixie Light. (Watery swill.)
    Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. (Lavabe knows why.)
    1. Agree
    2. never had it and on your suggestion, probably never will
    3. That's a shame because that is a really good pale ale and is even more tasty/hoppy on draft.

ychh, beer

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    And I study primates, including monkeys. GO FIGURE!

Technically speaking, no screaming howling panic monkeys on the DBR today.

I wound up NOT starting the thread, for fear of earning sin bin points for cluttering the DBR (and for jinxing the thread).

Yeah, the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is now my jinx beer for Duke, so it will be retired/banned from my beer list during Duke games.

Add to the list of YCCH the following:
    Genny Cream Ale, Sam Adams Cherry Wheat (a.k.a. cough syrup), Sweetwater's Pilsner, and Blue Moon Winter.

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    Now THIS is the list on which I expect to see the dreaded Falstaff included or ?

ycch beer

Quote Originally Posted by pamtar View Post
    By far the worst beers on the planet are American lagers. That style of beer was born from a lack of proper ingredients during the depression. It is garbage and will always be garbage. Still, everyone seems to like it.

I take exception to PBR - only on the boat though (and during some Duke games!)
    You should try some of the small batch(micro)lagers brewed by folks like Victory, Dogfishhead, Sierra Nevada, Sweetwater, Brooklyn and others. Buy a single and taste the extra hops and malted barley that the major brewers use smaller (see less flavorful) quantities of and also use fillers like rice (read cheaper) in their brewing processes. A lot of the craft breweries will really surprise you with their concoctions in a very good tasty sense. They generally cost $3-4 more per 6er but, to me, are really worth the small price difference.

ycch, beer

Ed's Cave Creek Chili Beer-fiery taste; burned all the way down; undrinkable

Talking The BBC

Bluegrass Brewing Company, that is.

Yes, so I wound up getting some more brews before heading back to Atlanta. First, the major news is that Schlafly bottles are available as far east as Lexington, Ky. This is GREAT news. I wound up purchasing their Oktoberfest and their limited edition Extra Irish stout (and pale ale).

I also wound up getting the BBC's porter, bourbon barrel porter, and one of their more common brews. They also make a hoppy brew for the place where I purchased, so I wound up getting that as well. I did NOT get the HORSE PISS BEER, which I believe is produced by either BBC or Viking.

All in all, I'll have plenty to discuss over the next month, as will devildeac, and a number of others (read ATL Mafia).

Cheers and beers,
    Lavabe

ycch, beer

Bluegrass Brewing Company, that is.

Yes, so I wound up getting some more brews before heading back to Atlanta. First, the major news is that Schlafly bottles are available as far east as Lexington, Ky. This is GREAT news. I wound up purchasing their Oktoberfest and their limited edition Extra Irish stout (and pale ale).

I also wound up getting the BBC's porter, bourbon barrel porter, and one of their more common brews. They also make a hoppy brew for the place where I purchased, so I wound up getting that as well. I did NOT get the HORSE PISS BEER, which I believe is produced by either BBC or Viking.

All in all, I'll have plenty to discuss over the next month, as will devildeac, and a number of others (read ATL Mafia).

Cheers and beers,
    Lavabe

Why is this on the 'ycch beer' thread? Are all your purchases THAT bad? Undrinkable? (jk)

Waiting for your reviews...

Eek!

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Why is this on the 'ycch beer' thread? Are all your purchases THAT bad? Undrinkable? (jk)

Waiting for your reviews...
    WHOOPS!

Meant to go on the Ymm Beer thread!

Perhaps on the next visit up there, it will be Kentucky Light Ale.
    Cheers,
    Lavabe

ycch, beer

I did see the Bud/Clamato and Bud light /Clamato combos in Harris Teeter today, and after what one reviewer said, would not even consider touching one of these. What an insult to Bud/Light and I don't even like either of those OZZIE is correct-the ideameister for that combo should be an unemployment statistic now.

I did see the Bud/Clamato and Bud light /Clamato combos in Harris Teeter today, and after what one reviewer said, would not even consider touching one of these. What an insult to Bud/Light and I don't even like either of those OZZIE is correct-the ideameister for that combo should be an unemployment statistic now.
    Perhaps Cameron can go back to his Imus avatar if he writes a review of the Bud/Clamato selections?

ycch, beer

Perhaps Cameron can go back to his Imus avatar if he writes a review of the Bud/Clamato selections?
    Oooooh, that is downright mean(and distasteful )

Frozen beer

This post is a little late in coming, but better late than never.

I made chili as it's been a bit cold here. Decided I would enjoy a cold brew (yeah, I'm cold so I eat chili and drink cold beer, go figure). I also decided that I'd be really cool and put my mug in the freezer before hand. Come dinner time I dole out my chili, take the mug out of the freezer, pop open a bottle of Yuengling and poured it in my frozen beer mug. What developed next truly is ycch. The beer froze in the mug. Grossed me out to be drinking frozen beer. Needless to say, I did not finish the beer. But am saving it to wash my hair.

Quote Originally Posted by TillyGalore View Post

I made chili as it's been a bit cold here. Decided I would enjoy a cold brew (yeah, I'm cold so I eat chili and drink cold beer, go figure). I also decided that I'd be really cool and put my mug in the freezer before hand. Come dinner time I dole out my chili, take the mug out of the freezer, pop open a bottle of Yuengling and poured it in my frozen beer mug. What developed next truly is ycch. The beer froze in the mug. Grossed me out to be drinking frozen beer. Needless to say, I did not finish the beer. But am saving it to wash my hair.
    The best thing about drinking Yuengling?

After 6 of them, they're pronounced Budweiser.

Oh my God! Falstaff has been mentioned. Everyone must now mouthwash!

ycch, beer

The chili or the beer

The chili or the beer
    The beer of course, silly.

ycch, beer

I learned a while ago not to drink from a frozen mug for this reason. From a snobbery standpoint, too, you should rinse out/off your mug/pint glass before drinking. This will rid your glass of any soap residue from the dish washer which might distort your taste of the fine hand-crafted ale you are about to enjoy. Soap residue will also affect the quality/size/appearance of the head of the beer when you pour it.

Now, if on the other hand, you like ice (oder eis auf Deutsch-I knew 3 years of German would SOMETIME be of value ), try one of the ice/eis beers/biers for a bit higher ABV.

Phat Boy Malt Liquor.
    It's since retired, but for those of you who couldn't "enjoy" it while it lasted, it was laced with ginseng.

ycch, beer

Quote Originally Posted by 2535Miles View Post
    Phat Boy Malt Liquor.
    It's since retired, but for those of you who couldn't "enjoy" it while it lasted, it was laced with ginseng.
    Hemp Ale-brewed by one of the DC/Ballmore(sic) area breweries several years ago. A truly forgettable beverage.

Wild Blue (Blueberry Lager)

Saw it in Harris Teeter yesterday next to the Flying Dog Pale Ale, so figured it might be a decent summer brew with a light hint of blueberry. Nope! Have you ever had a Nugrape soda mixed with malt liquor? Well, now, I have. That's the first time I have poured out a beer before even finishing the first bottle. Usually I will give it a few trys. Thanks Anheuser-Busch for ruining my tastebuds for the rest of the evening. I couldn't enjoy any of the other beers I was trying for the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Budweiser Clamato

Whover had that genius idea should be medically studied. Three months ago I bought two cans. One is still taking up usefull space in my refridgerator. After I took the first sip and prompty spit onto my keyboard, I read the can. It actually encourages you to shake it up a bit. I didn't, so what I drank tasted like pure clam juice with alcohol undertones. Down at the bottom, is some sort of tomato juice concoction, and I guess the rest of the alcohol.

I figure I'll use the other can for cooking one day, I can't even see getting drunk enough to drink it.
    I had heard that the Clamato was supposed to be used as a hangover cure, not for actually tipping back on a night of drinking. This is just what I've heard though, never used it myself.

ycch, beer

Quote Originally Posted by devilish View Post
    Saw it in Harris Teeter yesterday next to the Flying Dog Pale Ale, so figured it might be a decent summer brew with a light hint of blueberry. Nope! Have you ever had a Nugrape soda mixed with malt liquor? Well, now, I have. That's the first time I have poured out a beer before even finishing the first bottle. Usually I will give it a few trys. Thanks Anheuser-Busch for ruining my tastebuds for the rest of the evening. I couldn't enjoy any of the other beers I was trying for the first time.
    Now THAT sounds truly horrid...