Lost 3/20 Episode

Do we really half to wait until April for another episode?

I only saw the last half of this episode, did anything major occur in the first half?

Lots more questions... so neither Jack nor Michael can kill themselves back in the U.S.?

Is Danielle dead? And without a flashback?

Who was shooting? Prob the guys from the freighter (the helicopter is missing), but surely Ben didn't set them up? Of course, if he did, he got rid of two of the competitors for his daughter's affection

Why would Ben use Michael on the freighter? Surely there are easier ways to kill people. Though who knows his real plan?

Capt Gault--did he already know about Michael? Is he also with ben?

Who would have thought they'd make someone gay, presumably in order to make him sympathetic?

The above were surprising, but not as much as the need for a GH last-second shot.

I think they start up again in a month.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    Lots more questions... so neither Jack nor Michael can kill themselves back in the U.S.?

Is Danielle dead? And without a flashback?

Who was shooting? Prob the guys from the freighter (the helicopter is missing), but surely Ben didn't set them up? Of course, if he did, he got rid of two of the competitors for his daughter's affection

Why would Ben use Michael on the freighter? Surely there are easier ways to kill people. Though who knows his real plan?

Capt Gault--did he already know about Michael? Is he also with ben?

Who would have thought they'd make someone gay, presumably in order to make him sympathetic?

The above were surprising, but not as much as the need for a GH last-second shot.

I think they start up again in a month.
    Who says Danielle is dead? I am betting she is not and gets healed sorta like the last major character to get shot, Locke. It took him a grand total of like 1 or 2 days to fully recover from a gunshot to the gut.

I am pretty much certain that the folks who attacked Danielle's party were the dudes from the boat. The helicopter is out on a mission and its mission was to bring the guys with the machine guns to the Island. Plus, the copter has to come back to the Island so it can take Jack, Kate, Aaron, Sun, and Hurley to safety.

I sorta felt like we knew Tom/Friendly was gay, or at least they had hinted at it. There was a moment (perhaps when he gave Kate the dress to wear to breakfast with Ben) when she made some comment and he said, "Sorry, you ain't my type."

I am both bothered and intrigued by the notion that the Island has enough mystical power to stop Michael's gun from firing. I prefer the Island to only have healing powers and be a source of great mysteries but the notion that it can control the firing of a gun (or the fate of someone in a car accident or Jack's attempts at suicide) really bothers me. I always felt like Lost would not revert to giving the Island god-like powers, especially powers that impact things off the Island back in the real world. I always thought the show would try to be at least a little-bit scientific about things. Stopping a gunshot and saving Michael from a horrible car accident -- I'm disappointed in that. I mean, if it can stop a gunshot, then why not just give Whidmore a heart attack?

One thing is really bothering me at this point-- we missed some key parts of Michael's flashback. Significantly, what happened when he and Walt were rescued or reached civilization. Didn't Michael immediately say, "I am a survivor of Oceanic 815 and there are dozens of other survivors out there!!" Why would he keep quiet? Was it because he did not want to go to jail for murdering Anna Lucia and Libby? Ok, lets say it was, but if that was the case at first then he should have still gone public once he was ready to commit suicide. I mean, the guy is wracked by so much guilt over leaving his friends behind that he is ready to kill himself but he cannot find it within himself to go to one reporter and actually get his friends rescued?!?! Are you kidding me?

I am sure we are going to learn something soon about why the Oceanic 6 are lying about what really is going on. Maybe whatever that is will be something that also applies to Michael. Regardless, I think there was a real hole left in this episode and it was gnawing at me all the time.

Best moment in the episode was when Miles laughed about how Ben could come up with $3 million. He said something like, "a week ago he was tied up and your prisoner and today he is practically running the place." Ben really is amazing!

--Jason "so bummed that we have a month before the next episode!!" Evans

I kind of figured that the Other (Tom is it?) switched guns with Michael and gave him a defective one, rather than the island causing it. Of course, he led Michael to believe otherwise, but it was a convincing strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by dcarp23 View Post
    I kind of figured that the Other (Tom is it?) switched guns with Michael and gave him a defective one, rather than the island causing it. Of course, he led Michael to believe otherwise, but it was a convincing strategy.
    Awww fudge, I should have thought of that. I need to go back and re-watch the episode to see this happen. Now that I think about it, I am sure you are right.

A much better explanation than "the island can control everything!"

--Jason "I am guessing that once everyone is done watching March Madness, we'll get some more traffic into this thread" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Awww fudge, I should have thought of that. I need to go back and re-watch the episode to see this happen. Now that I think about it, I am sure you are right.

A much better explanation than "the island can control everything!"

--Jason "I am guessing that once everyone is done watching March Madness, we'll get some more traffic into this thread" Evans
    Good call dcarp, and Jason, could it be that they are convincing us that is what the characters believe, and inevitably that will be what the viewers believe. Sheesh... I just confused myself.

Now that we are done with hoops, I hope the Lost fans out there will get back to chatting about the show. Not much conversation since Thursday's ep.

--Jason "switching the guns... I do love that!!" Evans

I'm going to re-watch all the shows on abc.com before April...

Now that we are done with hoops, I hope the Lost fans out there will get back to chatting about the show. Not much conversation since Thursday's ep.

--Jason "switching the guns... I do love that!!" Evans
    I just got caught up and watched all of season 4 yesterday. I then went back and found all the Lost threads on this board I've been skipping over.

I won't go into all the episodes with my thoughts and comments, but I will say that most episodes ended with me going "holy crap..." Of course I never see surprises coming (I also never watch the 'Next Week on Lost' promos because I hate spoilers so much) so I am a good audience. I'm still in shock from last summer over the season 3 finale reveal, haha.

So if Tom switched guns - did they just get lucky that Michael survived his accident? Sort of a "well, what good fortune for us - if he lived through that and if we can get him to buy the gun thing he will really be in our pocket..."

Snowden's "as I've said before, I'm so anti-spoiler I skip over the 'Previously on Lost' segments as well since it hints at what plot threads will be followed that episode" cold

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverBlowingBubbles View Post
    I'm going to re-watch all the shows on abc.com before April...
    Watching episodes online is actually quite fun, with all the interactive stuff during commercials, which there are few of.

So, I'm slow...just got around to watching Lost. I definitely think the gun was switched. And the most ironic part is that Sayid turned Michael in because he's a traitor since he's working for Ben...and yet we know that Sayid is working for Ben in a future time (from this episode).

One thing is really bothering me at this point-- we missed some key parts of Michael's flashback. Significantly, what happened when he and Walt were rescued or reached civilization. Didn't Michael immediately say, "I am a survivor of Oceanic 815 and there are dozens of other survivors out there!!" Why would he keep quiet? Was it because he did not want to go to jail for murdering Anna Lucia and Libby? Ok, lets say it was, but if that was the case at first then he should have still gone public once he was ready to commit suicide. I mean, the guy is wracked by so much guilt over leaving his friends behind that he is ready to kill himself but he cannot find it within himself to go to one reporter and actually get his friends rescued?!?! Are you kidding me?

--Jason "so bummed that we have a month before the next episode!!" Evans
    I agree that we didn't get the key parts of Michael's story that - returning, how Walt become estranged (they did allude to this, but let's see it!) and why he wanted to kill himself.

I also do not get Sayid's strategy of revealing Micheal, especially after the note that said 'don't trust the captain' last episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Exiled_Devil View Post
    I also do not get Sayid's strategy of revealing Micheal, especially after the note that said 'don't trust the captain' last episode.
    I assumed the note was from Michael. Thus, because Sayid doesn't trust Michael, the note would be similarly untrustworthy.

I agree that having Michael be so mysterious about where he had been is totally not believable unless there's significant information that we don't know. I mean, didn't his mom know that he was on a flight to Australia to take custody of Walt? For that matter, wouldn't she have been one of the grieving relatives when flight 815 was recovered from the ocean??

I just don't see how you could keep it quiet that one of the 815 passengers has returned from the grave. You know how stuff like that is - you tell your cousin in the strictest confidence, who tells her hair stylist, who tells somebody else, who tells somebody else, until somebody comes back to verify the story and sees Michael alive. If whatever happened was so severe that Walt is having nightmares, there's no doubt that a grandmother would not rest until she either found out what happened, or took her grandson to get help.

Also, when they showed that shot of Karl putting his arm around Alex, I knew he was toast. The more interesting question to me that the show hasn't answered yet is how Ben ended up with a fake kidnapped daughter in the first place. Jealous rage aside, he doesn't really seem like that fatherly type, does he?

A couple points. It seems that Michael shows up at his mom's house within a couple months of his return from the island (I'm pretty sure the mom says it has been 2 months. He didn't try to kill himself in the car immediately. The time line seems a little tight for him to be recovered so quickly from his accident. Is that the "island healing power?"
    I wouldn't be surprised if it was Ben who planned the shooting of the boy friend and danielle. He was giving them the same jealous look that he gave Juliette and Goodwin and we know what happened to him.

Quote Originally Posted by robobevan View Post
    A couple points. It seems that Michael shows up at his mom's house within a couple months of his return from the island (I'm pretty sure the mom says it has been 2 months.
    Michael's mom's is also decorated for Christmas... so that gives a reference together with Desmond's communication to Penny being on Christmas Eve.