Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    Assuming that such a thing as "Duke basketball" either exists or is sufficient enough of an explanation of how to win.
    That's not what I was saying.

I think it would be prudent of us all to avoid assuming we know what the other person is saying and then posting based on that assumption. We would all do well to take a step back and take a person's words at face value and seek clarification first.

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    That's not what I was saying.

I think it would be prudent of us all to avoid assuming we know what the other person is saying and then posting based on that assumption. We would all do well to take a step back and take a person's words at face value and seek clarification first.
    OK, I'll bite. Jumbo linked to his post, where he said "Play Duke Basketball. Period."

He linked to your post, where you said "I've seen such unbelievable lackluster defense over the last month, and it's just not Duke basketball...I'm looking forward to the time when I see that team back on the floor."

Sounds like you two are about on the same page to me.

And now back to our regularly scheduled thread.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    OK, I'll bite. Jumbo linked to his post, where he said "Play Duke Basketball. Period."

He linked to your post, where you said "I've seen such unbelievable lackluster defense over the last month, and it's just not Duke basketball...I'm looking forward to the time when I see that team back on the floor."

Sounds like you two are about on the same page to me.

And now back to our regularly scheduled thread.

-jk
    I wasn't assuming that "Play Duke Basketball" is something that may or may not exist, as Jumbo said.

It does exists. And this team hasn't been playing it lately.

That's what I was saying. So, no, Jumbo and I apparently aren't on the same page.

And, so, my point about drawing our own conclusions about other people's posts continues.

The How we beat X author posted under the handle TMC.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by prefan21 View Post

They play a slow tempo, and are one of the best in the country at avoiding turnovers. They aren't a great 3-ball team, nor free throws. However, they are fairly good at rebounding and great at blocking shots.

Their record is hard to break down. Only 4 of their wins came against teams in the top 75: Marquette (home), Syracuse (home), Pitt (home), and UConn (neutral).

They have 10 losses: Tenn (neutral), Oklahoma (semi-home), Notre Dame (away), Louisville (away), Gtown (home), Cincy (home), Pitt (away), Villanova (away), UConn (away), and Gtown (neutral).

In all, it looks like a team Duke can beat if they bring a stronger game.
    Thanks for the work on WVU' season stats.

There aren't any cupcakes on the list of teams who've beat WVU. I don't know what it looked like on TV, but from within the Verizon Center WVU looked like a team that moved the ball well on offense and had a number of players capable of hitting open jumpers.

I haven't had a chance to look at WVU's season stats, so I'll take your word for it on WVU's 3 point shooting. However, tonight WVU looked like a team with at least 3 guys who could make open 3's.

I think our chances Sat. begin and end with defense. I'm not sure we have anyone who can stop Alexander if he plays like he has the past 7 games, but Singler could make him work hard for his points. If we disrupt the passing lanes and defend the three well, I like our chances.

P.S. Did anyone else in the Verizon Center find the cadence of the "Let's go, Mountaineers" cheer annoying? Also, they need to get a new guy to play the Mountaineer. During timeouts the current mascot just aimlessly wandered around the court clapping and occasionally thrusting his rifle in the air. Plus, I'm pretty sure I saw that guy selling knives on the Smokey Mountain Knifeworks show.

SHOW UP!! Play D and have fun! That's all folks.

Angry Aargh! That cheer! That mascot!

Quote Originally Posted by mph View Post
    P.S. Did anyone else in the Verizon Center find the cadence of the "Let's go, Mountaineers" cheer annoying? Also, they need to get a new guy to play the Mountaineer. During timeouts the current mascot just aimlessly wandered around the court clapping and occasionally thrusting his rifle in the air. Plus, I'm pretty sure I saw that guy selling knives on the Smokey Mountain Knifeworks show.
    Sounds exactly what happened in 1986 at Greensboro. NOTE: That was the year that Johnny D got us past a TOUGH opening round game against Mississippi Valley State. As a result of listening to the WVU cheer and watching the mascot, my wife can't stand WVU.

Perhaps we need a comment from our resident WVU expert, rthomas.

LGD! GTHC, GTH!!!
    Lavabe

And One More Thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Berg View Post
    I think we match up well with WVU. Singler has played decent D even in the games where he struggled...just needs to not commit stupid fouls. Markie needs some flu medicine; G needs to be put into cryogenic suspension immediately after his postgame shower.
    Scheyer needs to be handling the ball

WVU Mascot

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Sounds exactly what happened in 1986 at Greensboro. NOTE: That was the year that Johnny D got us past a TOUGH opening round game against Mississippi Valley State. As a result of listening to the WVU cheer and watching the mascot, my wife can't stand WVU.

Perhaps we need a comment from our resident WVU expert, rthomas.

LGD! GTHC, GTH!!!
    Lavabe
    I didn't watch the WVU game, but I always assumed their mascot was the banjo-playing kid from "Deliverance". Sorry, couldn't help it - there are some particulary annoying WVU fans in my office pool who are smack-talking.

We need a shaman to cast a bunch of buffs on our team before the game. Then maybe we'll win.

We also need to CHANNEL a couple Duke greats...

Quote Originally Posted by RelativeWays View Post
    We need a shaman to cast a bunch of buffs on our team before the game. Then maybe we'll win.
    We need Laettner, Grant Hill and also Bobby Hurley.

Everybody lets get down and channel these guys BACK so they can help the team.

Does WVU have a really fast guard, like Belmont did?

dth.

Duke needs to play with hunger. Play excited.

But most importantly, Duke needs to have fun and be relaxed.

Everything else will take care of itself.

The Mascot

Just be glad that basketball is played indoors. Otherwise, he would be firing his muzzleloader in the air after every basket the way he does for every WVU touchdown in football. But he is not as annoying as that miserable chant or even WVU fans.

The WVU fans that I know are as annoying as you will ever find. They have a real chip on their shoulder for just about everything sports related and would love nothing better than to beat a high profile program like Duke. With that said, you would never find a nicer man or better h.s. basketball coach than Bob Huggins' father. But I hope that Duke rebounds better and contains Joe. They will win if they do those two things.

West Virginia word for the day: FAR, as in "The mountaineer mascot likes to FAR his muzzleloader."

I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by CatfiveCane View Post
    Duke needs to play with hunger. Play excited.

But most importantly, Duke needs to have fun and be relaxed.

Everything else will take care of itself.
    I did see that Duke played so scared last night, with little excitement and with little hunger. It's like we were playing not to lose the game; like with a burden on our back.

I think the win exorcised this burden and we'll play much better tomorrow. I look for an up-tempo effort on the defensive end, hitting the free throws and controlling the ball.

Also, I am wondering IF WVU has a lightning-quick guard as did Belmont?

thanks,

dth.

In much the same way that Duke has more talent on its team than Belmont, Arizona has more talent on its team than West Virginia (which is not to say that WVU does not have talent - just that it appeared to me watching the UA-WVU game that with Bayless, Buddinger and the big guy inside UA had some more talented pieces). WVU played together far better than Zona did. Belmont played together a bit better than we did. The way we beat WVU is play better as a team (than they do). Communication is key. We have the tools, we have the talent. Whether it will be winning time will depend on coming together.

Technical things to change

Let me take a stab at some analytical things to do better.

Overall: Better on court communication.

On several back doors last night it looked like two Duke defensive players bumped into one another. At other times the person getting beat looked down low expecting someone else to be there. There was also a sequence when a Belmont player had the ball in the post and the Duke defender left him there before anyone else got back.

This are all signs that the team is not talking to one another.

Defense:

The players are standing up to straight on defense and not shuffling there feet. The effort was there to make steals and deny but several times you would see the Duke defender "jump" out to make a steal. When they did not get the steal they were in the air and could not recover to get back on D. The rest of the team compensated but for the rest of sequence Duke was chasing.

So..stay on your feet.

In transition Duke was not getting all 5 players back on defense. This may not be a problem with WVA, but is a problem with fast paced teams. There were several sequences where 4 players got back and had to compensate for the last player not getting back. Duke stopped the fast break but just like leaving you feet on defense the rest of the sequence had Duke chasing rather than defending.

Offense:

Spacing and movement.

Many times we set the high screen and someone would drive but no one else would move. Therefore, defenders could help and recover very easily because they could recover right back to where they were. Earlier in the year when someone would drive the perimeter players would move 10 feet from where they were (and that us all it takes) and would be open for a pass. Recently the perimeter players who are not part of the high screen are not moving that 10 feet to get open. When some players did move others did not so everyone ended up too close to one another (spacing).

We are also sending too many "telegraphed" passes. This is also part of movement. We are trying to establish Lance and Brian in the post but often times they are both standing in one place for awhile. By the time they get the ball a weak side defender knows they are going to get it. If they are going to get the ball in the post they need to flash acorss the lane and if they don't get the ball they need to move and flash across again.

Finally, Bob Knight mentioned that basketball in March is about maintaining concentration. It is very hard to do that after 4 months of effort. But if I had to put down a to do list for Duke to improve it would be

1. Concentrate
    2. Keep your feet on the ground playing defense
    3. Move without the ball on offense
    4. Talk, talk, talk

If DeMarcus is stiil sick, I hope Nolan plays many more minutes - yes, he makes a few more mistakes, but if he's healthier than Nelson - he's going to be more effective. I also trust his outside shot at this point in the season.

I think we will come out like gangbusters - the close win may help us in this game. One quibble with the DBR analysis of the Belmont game - I don't like the excuse that we are made up primarily of freshman and sophmores and Belmont is more experienced. We start two upper classmen and two of our other players (scheyer and henderson) have played a ton of minutes over the past 2 years. Yes, we are younger than Belmont, but don't think overall the team is "young" anymore - that reasoning explained some of last year's problems, but don't think it should be used for this years team.

wvu

Few notes
    Their big win against Pitt came I believe when Pitts starting point guard was down and he makes a BIG difference. WVU enjoys a big home court advantage something about a strange backdrop and that guy firing that rifle.

I hate to state the obvious but we need to shoot the 3 ball better. Also Duke looked soooooooo tight we need to play with some joy and passion. On the positive side what does a game like this do to Henderson's confidence it is so important to have a go to guy when all offense breaks down.

Quote Originally Posted by Law Talking Guy View Post
    Perimeter defense, stick a guy on Alexander at all times, take and make good shots, and don't forget about Da'Sean Butler.

There was little to no driving by WVU in the game tonight, and Butler did most of what did occur. Arizona got looks, they just didn't capitalize. And Alexander can be turned over if you push him out of the paint.
    I agree with this. I felt like our perimeter defense has just been awful of late. UNC, Miami, Wake Forest, Belmont. I rememeber screaming at the TV (sorry TV) about us giving up wide open threes for each of those games. I'm talking, "so wide open a Duke player isn't in sight" open.

-EarlJam

Do a better job of creating (and hitting) open 3s.
    Don't let WVU kill us on the glass.
    Don't turn the ball over.
    Hit free throws.
    Play stingy defense, especially on the perimeter.

In terms of matchups, WVU doesn't jump off the page. Joe Alexander is very good, but we can guard him Singler and not be at a huge deficit. Henderson can guard Butler. They don't have a guard who causes nightmares off the dribble.

They have a few players who shoot well from three, and they attempt a pretty high number of threes (over 20 per game). If we defend the perimeter well and don't allow too many offensive rebounds, we should be okay on the defensive end.

On offense, we need to be stronger with the ball on our drive and kicks. Teams have started hedging more and applying tougher perimeter defense later in the season, which has cut down on the easy drive and kicks. We have to get back to that, or every game is going to be a battle.