Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    We certainly could use a power player like Patrick Patterson to play the 4/5 for this team. However, regardless of what happens with Patterson and McRoberts, the team isn't hurting that much at "PF" - a position that Coach K & staff call the "second big." McClure can do it, even though he gives up height. (remember, Lee Melchionni did a decent job at the 4 for us two years ago, and no disrespect to Lee, but we've upgraded there.) And Lance will be just fine with an offseason of hard work. G can probably do it some if needed, but I doubt we'll get there.

Mainly, I expect Singler and King to be able to play a lot as the second big. Heck, if Josh leaves, I wouldn't be shocked to see Singler and King as the two bigs (depending on matchups, and their abilities to defend the post and rebound). With all of the quick 3-guard lineups we often face, Singler (and King especially) probably match up better defensively as the second big.

Plus, at least for next year, we can sort of get away with guys playing slightly out of position inside (giving up height or rebounds) because Markie gives the team a huge advantage with his rebounding ability as a guard.

But there is still a HUGE role awaiting Patrick Patterson if he decides to come to Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by Clipsfan View Post
    Don't forget that we most likely have Paulus for two more years, and as you mentioned, we can spell him with both Scheyer and Smith. That's deep enough at hte PG slot, especially given that Paulus is likely to play 36+ minutes most nights. I think that you're also forgetting that Drew may be on our radar as a PG recruit. The center position isn't as deep, but there aren't many college teams with 2 seven footers. It's not unusual to have a pro PF play C, especially here at Duke. We are likely to be a perimeter oriented team next year.
    True about Paulus. Still - I'd feel more comfortable with a PG backup. Not a SG backup to the point. Not being critical mind you - I do not have 3 rings so I do not think I know better. I think I'm just stating the obvious.

I don't think we have a chance with Drew - but I could be wrong. We entered very late and from what I've read seems enamoured with UNC (two post holiday visits and has them on the top of his list from what I read).

I alluded in my original post in this thread to the fact that the true center almost doesn't exist in college anymore and we can survive without one. Zoub is probably the first true traditional center we've had in a while.
    Last edited by vango; 03-20-2007 at 02:47 PM.