NC State over Virginia Tech 85-78
    Duke over Georgia Tech 83-68
    Maryland over Clemson 76-73 OT

Saturday

UNC over NC State 78-67
    Duke over Maryland 84-79 OT

Sunday

Duke over UNC 75-72

I do think that Duke will win the title and NC State will be a big suprise, and they do have a pretty easy schedule till Saturday.

Ill be there 5 rows behind the center court line, so im ready for a great tourny.

But what does everyone else think will happen this weekend at the Charlotte Bobcats Arena???

Quote Originally Posted by wolfpackdevil View Post
    This is what I predict for this years tourny:

Thursday

Wake Forest over Florida State 76-69
    NC State over Miami 68-64
    Georgia Tech over Virginia 77-62
    Maryland over Boston College 79-77

Friday

UNC over Wake Forest 67-62
    NC State over Virginia Tech 85-78
    Duke over Georgia Tech 83-68
    Maryland over Clemson 76-73 OT

Saturday

UNC over NC State 78-67
    Duke over Maryland 84-79 OT

Sunday

Duke over UNC 75-72

I do think that Duke will win the title and NC State will be a big suprise, and they do have a pretty easy schedule till Saturday.

Ill be there 5 rows behind the center court line, so im ready for a great tourny.

But what does everyone else think will happen this weekend at the Charlotte Bobcats Arena???
    First, i admit I am more interested in the Sunday brackets that come out... however, If Duke can't win the ACC then I hope Clemson does - revenge on UNC.

The thing is all this work/talk for a 1 or 2 seed can be overridden by one or two good performances in the NCAA (see Arizona who beat 3 #1 seeds to win in 97(?)

Last time I'll add this...

Don't forget to make your picks in our ACC Tournament Bracket Contest!

See the analysis of everyone's picks here.

Currently 59% of the brackets have the Heels winning it, while 34% pick Duke.

Duke notes

It's tournament time...get pumped!

Game Notes: Duke Heads to ACC Tournament

Dang, My cable doesn't carry espm2!

Dang, My cable doesn't carry espm2!

Thanks for the link, Bluedawg! Great stuff. I could get lost in there

BTW, BlueDawg, is that just available as a PDF packet, or is it out of some kind of media guide or magazine? Because I would love to keep that.

Fresh for tournament

I'm surprised that there hasn't yet been a thread started about the article posted by DBR from the Winston-Salem Journal "Krzyzewski says Blue Devils should be fresh for tournament". This information lowers my level of concern about Duke hitting the "empty tank" syndrome like last year.

K says that it is CLEAR to him that Duke is fresher and healthier for the tournament this year. I assume he means both the ACC and NCAA. It also states that K put Duke through "hard practices Monday and yesterday". This surprised me a little...I thought he might give them Monday off and have relatively light practices Tuesday and Wednesday.

It quotes Scheyer as saying "I feel motivated, excited and ready to go. I feel that's how MOST of the guys on the team feel. It's a big difference. I think it wasn't just me that felt run down last year. It was a lot of guys on the team. I was more worn down mentally than I was physically".

Given the drop off in recent games by both Singler and Smith, and given that the mental aspect of a long season is sometimes more wearing than the physical aspect, plus Scheyer's comment that MOST of the guys feel motivated, excited and ready to go, that perhaps Singler and Smith are feeling the mental fatigue at this point? I sure hope this is not the case, but I remain a little concerned about the freshmen hitting the wall syndrome.

GMR

Speaking of being fresh. Below are the ACC leaders in minutes played. Duke has two of the top 25, #16 and #24. Not to belabor the point but Duke has found a way to rest its players this season.

1.Tyrese Rice-BC....... JR 28 1069 38.18
    2.Greivis Vasquez-MD.... SO 31 1142 36.84
    3.Toney Douglas-FS..... JR 31 1094 35.29
    4.A.D. Vassallo-VT..... JR 30 1036 34.53
    Cliff Hammonds-CU.... SR 30 1036 34.53
    6.Sean Singletary-VA.... SR 29 990 34.14
    7.Deron Washington-VT... SR 30 1017 33.90
    8.Eric Hayes-MD....... SO 28 948 33.86
    9.Jason Rich-FS....... SR 31 1038 33.48
    10.Tyler Hansbrough-NC... JR 31 1017 32.81
    11.Ishmael Smith-WF..... SO 29 924 31.86
    12.James Gist-MD....... SR 30 951 31.70
    13.Gavin Grant-ST....... SR 30 943 31.43
    14.Wayne Ellington-NC.... SO 31 966 31.16
    15.Isaiah Swann-FS...... SR 24 745 31.04
    16.DeMarcus Nelson-DU.... SR 30 931 31.03
    17.Jack McClinton-UM.... JR 28 866 30.93
    18.K.C. Rivers-CU....... JR 30 917 30.57
    19.Ralph Mims-FS....... SR 31 940 30.32
    20.Jeff Teague-WF....... FR 29 857 29.55
    21.Anthony Morrow-GT.... SR 30 884 29.47
    22.Courtney Fells-ST.... JR 30 877 29.23
    23.James Johnson-WF..... FR 29 845 29.14
    24.Kyle Singler-DU...... FR 30 872 29.07
    25.Mamadi Diane-VA...... JR 29 832 28.69

Singler has been playing heavy minutes for a freshman.

Is he hitting the infamous "freshman wall"? His outside shooting has been in a serious slump recently. Also he must have been really banged up by now. I mean this guy has been taking crap from everyone and diving all over the floor the whole season.

Not to be snide...

...but N.C. State has just lost the last *eight* games in a row, sometimes by embarrassing margins. The players on the court (with the notable exception of the Duke game, which is hardly surprising) look uninterested in hustling, uninspiring on defense, and inept on offense. They're in last place in the ACC, last in offense, last in turnovers, last in steals, last in getting offensive rebounds, and last in rebounding margin.

How do you see them reeling off two straight wins against capable opponents? Just curious.

Wolfpack run

Quote Originally Posted by Ping Lin View Post
    Not to be snide...

...but N.C. State has just lost the last *eight* games in a row, sometimes by embarrassing margins. The players on the court (with the notable exception of the Duke game, which is hardly surprising) look uninterested in hustling, uninspiring on defense, and inept on offense. They're in last place in the ACC, last in offense, last in turnovers, last in steals, last in getting offensive rebounds, and last in rebounding margin.

How do you see them reeling off two straight wins against capable opponents? Just curious.
    well let's take a look at 2007:

They lost 6 out of 8 of there finall acc games.
    and still pulled off the amazing stretch in the tourney.

They have beaten Miami and VT in the regular season,

and this teams talent is alot better then there stats.

When they play well (like the duke game) there one of the best teams in the ACC, but when they dont there not good at all.

I just see them pulling off a couple games.

I think Miami takes care of State and moves on to face UNC. I think UNC could face a tough game against Wake if they can come out with confidence like they did to us in Winston-Salem.

The team I'll be very interested in watching is Maryland. Last year, after finishing the year red hot they lost in the first game to Miami, the #12 seed. They have Boston College first (who they should take care of) and then a rematch against Clemson. It may be too late to get them off the bubble but if there's any team Maryland should be ready to face, its Clemson.

If this scenario plays out and we take care of business on Friday, we either Maryland playing its 3rd game in as many days, or Clemson who Maryland has hopefully beat up a little.

Well, wolfpackdevil isn't the only one on the NC State bandwagon, believe it or not over 20% of the brackets have State playing on Saturday.

15. Don't underestimate Virginia Tech, who is playing for their NCAA tournament lives. I think Vtech wins out and has a reasonable chance of upsetting UNC. Here's to hoping anyway.

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.

Picks

Thursday Winners
    FSU
    Miami
    GT
    Mayland

Friday Winners
    UNC
    VT
    Duke
    Maryland

Saturday Winners
    UNC
    Duke

Sunday Winners
    UNC

Here is a pretty good preview from Techsideline.
    Last edited by whereinthehellami; 03-13-2008 at 08:40 AM.

Motivation

I will be disappointed if Duke does not win the ACC, even though UNC is probably the better team overall.

Why?

I think Duke is highly motivated to win, and UNC is not.

Duke "didn't win anything" last year, and that obviously sticks in the craw of the players and coaches.

K has always emphasized winning the ACC tournament.

We know what Roy thinks about the tournament.

Is Raycom serious ?????

The best they can do for commentators for the ACC tourney is Mike Hogwood and Jason Capel ?????
    Oh my goodness...

I hope it gets better than the few minutes I just watched

ARo24

Ok....they only did the pregame and a few cut-ins....Packer and Steve Martin doing the actual gameplay....that kinda scared me.

ARo24

Quote Originally Posted by wolfpackdevil View Post
    UNC over Wake Forest 67-62
    while picking scores is always a bit of a fool's errand, this prediction is off by about 30 total points. You're aware that UNC has scored fewer than 70 only once this season? and that its lowest output in conference play is 75? and that Wake is also a high-scoring team (averaging ~74 points per game in conference play)? and that the only meeting between the two teams this year resulted in 162 combined points? Did you mean to type 87-82? if you actually meant 67-62, what in the world leads you to believe that a Wake-UNC game would be a low scoring slugfest?
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke