Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

How did it happen?

I'm not whining here, but I am interested in an explanation. Given that Duke can reasonably expect to be in the hunt for any recruit in the world, how did we end up with the season we just finished. Omit the "youth" business. That just begs the question.

I'm up for that EVR

I get jumped on all the time, but I'll give you my explanation. I'm not afraid. While there are several factors, it looks pretty clear "in my opinion".

We played much better in December & January than in February and March. Instead off improving, like most other teams did, we regressed. Why? Well I think it was mainly due to lack of bench development. It's a long season, and kids can't play 36-38 mins per contest and sustain it. Legs get tired.

Think not? Just look at last year with JJ & Shelden. And the year before that, and, the year before that and well, you get my point.

We didn't get worse. We got tired. OK, I'm hiding again now.......

Quote Originally Posted by evrdukie View Post
    I'm not whining here, but I am interested in an explanation. Given that Duke can reasonably expect to be in the hunt for any recruit in the world, how did we end up with the season we just finished. Omit the "youth" business. That just begs the question.
    It would be idiotic to ignore the youth factor. Duke didn't recruit a bunch of players with 1-and-done talent. We have players who will slowly grow into stars. Check out what the Dawkins/Alarie class did their freshman and sophomore years.

We were beaten because...

they wanted it a little bit more than we did I think. Simple as that.

------------
    As a psychologist let me say that the answer is, "I haven't the slightest idea..."

How could we have been tired with a week off? No excuse.

Troublemaker, you say it's idiotic to ignore the youth business. If so, have you ever asked yourself how, given our recruiting advantage, Duke ended up with a team that was too young to compete successfully against a school such as Virginia Commonwealth, not to mention much of the ACC? Surely the youth problem didn't develop because the stars lined up against us. Is there some reason we were too young to compete?

I don't think we are recruiting good enough athletes.

Quote Originally Posted by evrdukie View Post
    Troublemaker, you say it's idiotic to ignore the youth business. If so, have you ever asked yourself how, given our recruiting advantage, Duke ended up with a team that was too young to compete successfully against a school such as Virginia Commonwealth, not to mention much of the ACC? Surely the youth problem didn't develop because the stars lined up against us. Is there some reason we were too young to compete?
    We "competed" just fine. It's not like we were routinely blown out or anything. As for why we're young this year, it happens all the time in college basketball. Usually the result of some combination of graduation and early departures.

I didn't say we didn't "compete." I said we didn't compete successfully--unless you're content to lose to many of the teams you play, lose the first game of the ACC tournament, and get bounced out of the NCAA tournament by an 11 seed. My guess is that most people posting on these boards aren't OK with that. At least I hope they're not. The letters of the jersey say "Duke", not "Clemson."

This season isn't okay if it becomes the norm. There's no reason to believe it will become the norm. Because as the players get older, they will improve. That is kinda the point.

Our problem was the same it was all year. This team had a bad habit of going long stretches like 4 minn without scoring baskets. We lacked a true scorer on this team. Even in tonight's game we went 4 minn in both the first half and again in the second half where we didn't score a basket. This typically either gave our opponents a chance to get back in the game or build a big lead against us and win. We lost many a close game by a basket at the end because of our lack in having a big time scorer. This team really reminded me of the teams Coach K had back in the very early '80's when Dawkins, Bilas, Alaire where Freshman and Sophomores.

Maybe these guys will become like Dawkins, Bilas and Alaire as they get older.

I think we are where we are because:
    Livingston pulled a no-show and Deng left early.

Youth... while not a blanket excuse, it does speak volumes as to why we couldnt close some games out better. It has ALOT to do with covering up negatives and exploiting positives. Which at times we just could NOT do.

other things I think I think...

I think Markie worked his TAIL off on D and doesnt get enuff credit for what hes HAS done. His legs were gone often late in most games. I think thats affected his FT% Before you attack the guy and say he cant shoot, lets get him some backup on D and turn him loose. Think Chris Duhon before he HAD to be the lock down defender... Now in Chicago hes found his shot again... hummmm

I think Greg responded EXTREMELY well to the early criticism and had a very nice year. I wish he was a step faster. I used to think he was More Wojo than Hurley.. Now I think he could be a guttier Marty Clark. (Which is still pretty good in my book!)

I think Lance will be a keeper and turn into a very nice John Smith type of guy once he learns to use more control and discretion. Lots of energy and hustle. I cant think of a player quite like him that we have had.

I think G has had a very nice Frosh campaign. I think next year begins and ends with his development as a scorer. We need a "go to guy" in the worst way. Think how much this team would have benefitted from Roshawn McLeod or Dahntay Jones on it. I think G is next in line to be that guy.

Jons mom is hot. and hes going to get better and bigger. there were times he just got "out manned" and lost the ball. I look for that to happen less and less and for him to become Mr Clutch.

Marty P. Is starting to find a solid role. I hope that continues and he gains confidence. I think thats all thats lacking for him.

Dave was doing so well early on and mid season but seemed to fade a bit down the stretch. His D is solid. But his O is very sporadic. I'd like to see him get more refined and look to score more.

Zoubek needs to dust off the old "add mass" plan Jay Bilas used in 85. Thats a major thing holding him back. But hes going to be another keeper. Maybe he will evolve into an Ala Abdelnabby (sp?)

Last Is Josh.
    I dont know what to think. He brought alot to the table for us this year. No doubt. At times he looked tired, in pain and unhappy. I wish him well in whatever he decides. I just wish we could have had someone for him to play off of. Clearly hes not a traditional power post guy. Hes more Toni Kucoc than anything right now. If this team had a Dahntay Jones or Dan Ewing it would have helped him tremendously to take advantage of his unique gifts. I hope he comes back but if not we'll live.

Im rooting for the laundry.
    If college basketball were reduced to 5 guys my age height and weight playing, I'd still be watching as long as Duke was the best at it.

A thanks to the guts and effort of 07 and hopeful optimism for 08...

As players get older they will improve? Why do you think that?

Because I watch college basketball.
    Lemme tell you a story about this dude, Pervis Ellison was his name.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Lemme tell you a story about this dude, Pervis Ellison was his name.
    ??? (what are you getting at?)

Quote Originally Posted by wilko View Post
    Jons mom is hot. and hes going to get better and bigger. there were times he just got "out manned" and lost the ball. I look for that to happen less and less and for him to become Mr Clutch.
    Hilarious... before and after the mom comment, which came out of nowhere, you had serious basketball analysis regarding the players and the season. Well done!

"Marty P. Is starting to find a solid role. I hope that continues and he gains confidence. I think thats all thats lacking for him. "

what is lacking is minutes. i don't know how he can find a role on the floor when he can't get on the floor. he has not missed from the floor or the line in two games. i don't think lack of confidence is a problem. he is probably the only true shooter we have.

"Before you attack the guy and say he cant shoot"

markie can't shoot. he has a terrible release and bad judgement. his shot is very flat. he is able to hit the front of the rim on foul shots regardless of when in the game they are taken.

Do you really think Josh has a chance to go pro at this point? He had such a terrible year, I can't imagine he would go very high in the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by dukeisawesome View Post
    I don't think we are recruiting good enough athletes.

I'll agree with that to a point... its a philisophical hair splitting (IMHO).

The trend I've noticed is that Duke tends to recruit basketball players more so than athletes who play basketball. And Im ok with that. Its worked out well over the long haul.

But I think the game has changed...

Last year I was watching this thing on Pistol Pete during the finals. In particular, I was noticing the way he was D'ed up... that old school D compared to the "modern" game. It was non existant.

I think the current "key" to stopping basketball players is to to have athletes body up and out physical your more fundamentally sound players. I think if the rules were enforced a bit more closely to focus on game fundamentals than whats currently being done... We may not have to look abroad to Europe for sound players.

I'd go so far as to say this trend has hurt the game for both the college and Pro levels.

That said, we could use some faster guys. Anyone on the track team with a decent J?

I've wondered the same thing. The assumption seems to be that it's up to McRoberts. I don't know whether that's true or not.