Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    We definitely had a few years where teachers would bring in a TV, same for the NCAA tournament as well. Now that I'm older, of course today and tomorrow and next Thursday and Friday are days off for me every year.

When in school I also pulled off the radio in the coat pocket with the earphone up the sleeve. You then simply cup it and rest your head conveniently on your hand to hear all the action .

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

Was a unofficial holiday

Growing up in Durham, every room in Hope Valley Elementary school had a class watching the games on TV. On that Friday, we knew that no work was going to be done. I think even the teachers who weren't fans knew it would be pointless to try to keep the attention of a bunch of kids who knew that Duke, State or Carolina was playing. As the ACC tourney expanded, and the field of 64 opened up, people weren't as religious about it, but usually if one of the three local teams were playing, there would be a TV on and class canceled even in high school.
    If Duke has an afternoon game nowadays, I will still take off work for it.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Growing up in Durham, every room in Hope Valley Elementary school had a class watching the games on TV. On that Friday, we knew that no work was going to be done. I think even the teachers who weren't fans knew it would be pointless to try to keep the attention of a bunch of kids who knew that Duke, State or Carolina was playing. As the ACC tourney expanded, and the field of 64 opened up, people weren't as religious about it, but usually if one of the three local teams were playing, there would be a TV on and class canceled even in high school.
    Yeah, but after Duke kept winning they burned the school down...

4. Born and raised in Durham and you'd better believe the ACC tournament was on in school every year. Sometimes a cool teacher would put it on or use it as a carrot to get us to do our work quickly (i.e. "if y'all finish up by noon we can watch the tournament for the rest of class"). More often it would be on in the teacher's lounge, the library, etc. and students would watch during lunch, free period, long "trips to the bathroom" etc. I still do everything I can to take that Friday off and have a bunch of people over for the games. Frankly, for me the NCAA's always seem a bit anti-climactic after the "real" tournament.

Growing up in Charlotte, the first Friday of the ACC tourney might as well have been a teacher work day at school. From about 6th grade all through HS we would have some sort of minimal assisgnment to do while we watched the games on TV. Every now and then there would be a teacher who wouldn't have the games on, and kids would moan and groan enough that we'd be allowed to go to another class and watch if interested.

The ACC was HUGE back then, and still is. I've got a lot of Tar Heel friends that are playing hookie tomorrow...and their bosses completely understand and dont question it.

Also, I was one of a few Dukies at my school so I would either win big or lose big to Tar Heel fans, as I was the sole target of their ribbing and bets.

Let the games begin!
    Last edited by CLT Devil; 03-13-2008 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Spelling