Whiskeytown-Stranger's Almanac Deluxe Edition

For those of you who are fans of Ryan Adams and/or Whiskeytown, "Stranger's Almanac", the band's penultimate album, was re-released last week. If you're not aware of Whiskeytown's music, they are to Ryan Adams what Uncle Tupelo is to Wilco/Jeff Tweedy--only better. And, they're a great North Carolina band. If you went to Duke in the late 90s, I'd be shocked if you didn't come across their music at some point.

I really hate buying physical copies of "special re-releases" when I already have the album, so it's great that you can get this on itunes. It's well worth it. Disc 1 has the original of the album plus a couple of alternate cuts and songs that didn't make the final version. Disc 2 has more of the same rarities, mixed in with some great covers (Fleetwood Mac, J. Cash, Gram Parsons) and live/acoustic versions.

As up-and-down as Adams's career has been, it's refreshing to hear his music when he was young and very consistently good. Dare I say best country album of the last 20 years? Yes.

Waterloo, Ontario (unfortunately, no longer in London England).
    Quote Originally Posted by rockymtn devil View Post
    For those of you who are fans of Ryan Adams and/or Whiskeytown, "Stranger's Almanac", the band's penultimate album, was re-released last week. If you're not aware of Whiskeytown's music, they are to Ryan Adams what Uncle Tupelo is to Wilco/Jeff Tweedy--only better. And, they're a great North Carolina band. If you went to Duke in the late 90s, I'd be shocked if you didn't come across their music at some point.

I really hate buying physical copies of "special re-releases" when I already have the album, so it's great that you can get this on itunes. It's well worth it. Disc 1 has the original of the album plus a couple of alternate cuts and songs that didn't make the final version. Disc 2 has more of the same rarities, mixed in with some great covers (Fleetwood Mac, J. Cash, Gram Parsons) and live/acoustic versions.

As up-and-down as Adams's career has been, it's refreshing to hear his music when he was young and very consistently good. Dare I say best country album of the last 20 years? Yes.

As much as I love Whiskeytown (I like his solo stuff but not nearly as much) I'm not sure I woulod buy this either as I already have a lot of their unreleased stuff. Maybe I can just wait for my brother to buy it and then copy it off of him or something.

Whiskeytown is top shelf, no doubt. Not sure if I'd put that as "best country album" though -- I'd have to go with perhaps "No Depression" (Uncle Tupelo) or "Southern Rock Opera" (Drive-By Truckers). But I hear what you're saying.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Whiskeytown is top shelf, no doubt. Not sure if I'd put that as "best country album" though -- I'd have to go with perhaps "No Depression" (Uncle Tupelo) or "Southern Rock Opera" (Drive-By Truckers). But I hear what you're saying.
    I like "No Depression" but my favorite Uncle Tupelo is "March 16-20, 1992". Maybe I'll pull that out tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by rockymtn devil View Post
    I like "No Depression" but my favorite Uncle Tupelo is "March 16-20, 1992". Maybe I'll pull that out tonight.
    I cannot disagree with that choice, either. Both are great.

Wow! I didn't know Whiskeytown when they were recording, I just found them a couple years ago. It's great to hear the early, previously unreleased material. Hearing some of my all time favorite songs (Excuse Me..., Dancing with the Women...) in the stripped down, acoustic form is awesome. I'll have to listen to this a few more times to abosorb it all. As much as I love Whiskeytown, I've been distracted doing new car research tonight, so I haven't devoted my full attention to it. I'll probably appreciate it even more tomorrow.

Thanks for pointing out the new release. I would have come across it eventually, but now I've found it a little faster.

Jeff

Whiskeytown's a favorite of mine as well. I've always found it strange that Adams' solo work has always been a couple clicks below his Whiskeytown stuff, but there it is.

I also don't know if I'd call Stranger's Almanac the best country album of the last twenty years. Others have mentioned Uncle Tupelo and the Truckers. Don't forget Cash's American Recordings albums, either, or Loretta Lynn's Van Lear Rose, all of which were excellent. Emmylou has had a few good albums during that stretch as well. Heck, I don't even know if I'd even call it Whiskeytown's best album (I'm partial to Pneumonia myself).

Speaking of country rereleases, I was in Off Beat Music in Brightleaf Square the other day, and they had a new Gram Parsons release on display. I think it was a remastered live recording, or something like that. The tracks I listened to sounded great.

the new stangers's almanac has a cover of parson's luxury liner. the bonus material on the reissue is good but i've had most of it in low quality mp3's for ten years or so. still there are a few gems. i do think there are too many demo and live versions of songs included rather than the plethora of unreleased whiskeytown sessions that are out there.