Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DeMarcus ACC DPOY, Kyle ACC ROY

Hansbrough unanimous POY

Greenberg COY

Congrats to all!

WRAL

2008 All-ACC Men’s Basketball Individual Awards
    (90 Total Votes)

DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR – DeMarcus Nelson, Duke (39)
    (Receiving 5-or-more votes) – Toney Douglas, Florida State (17); James Gist, Maryland (11) Marcus Ginyard, North Carolina (9), Tyrelle Blair, Boston College (6)

ROOKIE OF THE YEAR – Kyle Singler, Duke (44) (Receiving 5-or-more votes) – James Johnson, Wake Forest (30); J.J. Hickson, NC State (11)

COACH OF THE YEAR – Seth Greenberg, Virginia Tech (25)
    (Receiving votes) – Frank Haith, Miami (23); Roy Williams, North Carolina (17); Oliver Purnell, Clemson (15); Mike Krzyzewski, Duke (8); Dino Gaudio, Wake Forest (2)

PLAYER OF THE YEAR – Tyler Hansbrough, North Carolina (90)* *unanimous

What has Seth Greenburg done this year to deserve COY? I haven't paid enough attention to VT to know the answer.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DukePA View Post
    What has Seth Greenburg done this year to deserve COY? I haven't paid enough attention to VT to know the answer.

Thanks
    Prevented Deron Washington from breaking someone's leg in a game.

Other than that, went 18-12 overall and 9-7 in the ACC and is looking at the NIT if they don't make some ACC tourny noise.

Worst is that Duke was picked to finish 3rd or worse by some people, and they nearly won the regular season title, and Coach K gets 8 measly votes.
    Last edited by JBDuke; 03-11-2008 at 06:13 PM. Reason: fixed error in record

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    2008 All-ACC Men’s Basketball Individual Awards
    (90 Total Votes)

DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR – DeMarcus Nelson, Duke (39)
    (Receiving 5-or-more votes) – Toney Douglas, Florida State (17); James Gist, Maryland (11) Marcus Ginyard, North Carolina (9), Tyrelle Blair, Boston College (6)

ROOKIE OF THE YEAR – Kyle Singler, Duke (44) (Receiving 5-or-more votes) – James Johnson, Wake Forest (30); J.J. Hickson, NC State (11)

COACH OF THE YEAR – Seth Greenberg, Virginia Tech (25)
    (Receiving votes) – Frank Haith, Miami (23); Roy Williams, North Carolina (17); Oliver Purnell, Clemson (15); Mike Krzyzewski, Duke (8); Dino Gaudio, Wake Forest (2)

PLAYER OF THE YEAR – Tyler Hansbrough, North Carolina (90)* *unanimous
    Nice to know that DeMarcus and Kyle seperated themselves from their competitors by this much. Congrats to them.

So, K is COY in the USBWA District III but not within the ACC - interesting !!

8 votes for a coach who played without a big man, and 17 for a guy who didn't have his star pg and back up pg but did have a senior pg...I'm sure K doesn't care.

Welp, Jim Sumner was right. Some of them are likeable results; some of them are not.

8 votes for Coach K? Sheesh.

Interesting choice

Quote Originally Posted by DukePA View Post

Thanks
    VT played the easiest ACC schedule and finished 9-7. They played pretty well down the stretch- but perhaps Pernell should have gotten the nod. But this year- no one really stood out. I wonder if any of the coaches have contracts where they get bonuses if they get COY?

The coaching vote makes no sense to me. Like everyone else said, what exactly has Va Tech done this year to win Greenberg the title? And only 2 votes for Gaudio? What he did with that team after what they endured deserves way more respect in my opinion.

Seth Greenberg COY, are you kidding me?! We are giving out coaching awards to guys whose teams do not win a single game against a top 50 RPI opponent? IMO K, Haith, Purnell, Gaudio, and even Roy did far better coaching jobs this year. Great to hear about Kyle and DeMarcus, though.

While I don't understand how K comes in fifth place, well behind Roy, I don't have a problem with Greenberg's win. While there are a host of ways to look at the coaching award, one legitimate way is to ask the question "who achievest the best results with the least talent." From that perspective, Greenberg is a solid and respectable choice, regardless of the relative quality of his team's conference schedule. Of course, if that was the only criteria ever applied, guys like K and Roy would never win, which seems wrong, though semi-understandable on a year-year basis. In any event, I can respect the Greenberg decision.
    "Just like you man. I got the shotgun, you got the briefcase." Omar Little

Greenberg's win is a joke. Miami played five games against UNC, Duke and Clemson and went 2-3; Virginia Tech played three during the softest league schedule and lost all three. Miami beat Virginia Tech in Blacksburg. Miami had quality wins outside the conference, which why they will be in the NCAA tournament while Virginia Tech will be in the NIT. Miami was picked to finish last in the preseason, Virginia Tech was picked to finish tenth.

It's a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Greenberg's win is a joke.
    Which roster would you pick if you had to win a game?

I don't really care who wins the award, but just trying to offer explanations as to why reasonable people may have voted the way they did.

Quote Originally Posted by Chitowndevil View Post
    Seth Greenberg COY, are you kidding me?! We are giving out coaching awards to guys whose teams do not win a single game against a top 50 RPI opponent? IMO K, Haith, Purnell, Gaudio, and even Roy did far better coaching jobs this year. Great to hear about Kyle and DeMarcus, though.
    Completely agree. Greenberg is not deserving of this honour. Haith deserved it more as his team has a shot (if not locked) for the NCAA's.

I just don't see how it went towards SG. Weakest ACC schedule, no quality wins and no meaningful post-season play. Not to mention his team's thuggish behavior.

I'm completely stunned!

Had I a vote:
    Haith
    Purnell
    K
    Gaudio

Quote Originally Posted by RepoMan View Post
    Which roster would you pick if you had to win a game?
    I've never liked this reasoning, since coaches are responsible for assembling the rosters.

Miami performed better than Virginia Tech this season and exceeded expectations more. I really don't see how a reasonable person could vote for Greenberg.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    I've never liked this reasoning, since coaches are responsible for assembling the rosters.
    I should stop, because I really don't care, but . . .

You can't really mean that. Say Duke one year had unexpected NBA departures and the following year came in with an undermanned team, yet still won the conference. That suggests a better "coaching" job than a season in which the players at issue did not go to the NBA and Duke won the title. And, in both cases, K was "responsible for assembling the rosters."

COY -Realism

People, take off the Duke Blue blinders.

Did Duke overachieve? Not really. We finished 2nd in the conference. Some people might have said we were 3rd pre-season, but those yahoos were very few, and very far between. Essentially, we finished exactly were the VAAAASST majority of prognosticators predicted.

Well, a lot of people on this board thought we would be No. 1 over UNC, so by their expectations we underachieved.

We only lost one significant player from the 06-07 season, whom it was universally agreed upon that he was a locker room cancer, and replaced him with 3 All Americans to go with the slew of All Americans already in town. We had a lot of talent in place.

Va Tech on the other hand really overachieved. Virtually no one had them finishing better than the 3rd WORST team in conference. This board continually states that College ball in driven by guard play, but VT lost both of their outstanding guards to graduation. Washington is a complete head case, yet Greenberg kept him from damaging the team.

Frankly, no one did a standout job coaching in the ACC. Purnell did a good job from historic perspective, in that Clemson is getting into the NCAAs for the first time in aeons, but he finished third with the third most talented team in the ACC. They whistled away two sure wins over UNC. Those collapeses put the kybosh on his chances.

K innovated with the current team, but what other options did he have given the current roster.

UNC still refuses to play any D, and they won a lot of close games that should have been blowouts, so he can't get it.

Gaudio at WFU had it in the bag until their late season collapse.

I mean, Seth didn't blow anyone away, but who did in the ACC this year. For that matter, who nationally jumps out at you?

We all like K. But the reality is that he finished right were most people thought he would, playing the ONLY style of basketball that would allow this year's roster to win games.

Seth is a jerk. But he did a quality job with a roster pretty devoid of talent, that lost its star back court from the previous year.

PatZorro

I would like to point this out:

Kyle Singler is only the 2nd ACC-ROY that Coach K has ever had !
    Before Singler, Duhon was the only one under Coach K!

I was really surprised to find out this.

Congrats to Singler and Nelson. Great senior year for DeMarcus.

As for the COY, I've got to be in the Haith camp. Picked for last, finished fifth against a much tougher slate than VaTech had. As for rosters, if Miami's roster is better than VaTech's, then why was Miami picked to finish last? If a coach does a good job, then of course his players are going to look better.

But, Seth did do a pretty good job.

I'm surprised Williams finished with as many votes as he did, I guess he's getting some credit for mustering his players past the injuries to Frasor, Lawson and whoever else they were making sure everyone knew was injured. Maybe that's why Williams makes sure the injuries are known.

Quote Originally Posted by wisteria View Post
    I would like to point this out:

Kyle Singler is only the 2nd ACC-ROY that Coach K has ever had !
    Before Singler, Duhon was the only one under Coach K!

I was really surprised to find out this.

I did not know that. Who came in to the conference the same year as Johnny Dawkins? He had a great freshman year, as I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by RepoMan View Post
    I should stop, because I really don't care, but . . .

You can't really mean that. Say Duke one year had unexpected NBA departures and the following year came in with an undermanned team, yet still won the conference. That suggests a better "coaching" job than a season in which the players at issue did not go to the NBA and Duke won the title. And, in both cases, K was "responsible for assembling the rosters."
    There's more than one way to do a good coaching job. The coach that assembles a juggernaut and rolls over the league deserves to be rewarded, as does the coach that wins the league with an undermanned team. What I reject is the idea that the latter scenario reflects better coaching than the former. Winning is winning.