Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

'O' chant during National Anthem

Watching the game on saturday I was pleased to see ESPN air some of the pre-game events, including the moment of silence for the UNC student body president. It showed a ton of class from the Duke program and its fans, and demonstrated that some things truly are more important than basketball.

The coverage extended into the singing of the national anthem, which is rarely shown on TV. When the crowd did their 'O' chant, I couldn't help but feel a sense of disrespect. I never really felt that way when I was a student in the crowd, but seeing it on TV gave a different perspective, and I really felt like the crowd should honor our country and our flag (not to mention the person singing) by not interrupting.

I'm sure this issue has been debated plenty of times in the past, but I felt obliged to bring it up again given the somber nature before the game and the oppportunity to have our fans' behavior shown on TV.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Watching the game on saturday I was pleased to see ESPN air some of the pre-game events, including the moment of silence for the UNC student body president. It showed a ton of class from the Duke program and its fans, and demonstrated that some things truly are more important than basketball.

The coverage extended into the singing of the national anthem, which is rarely shown on TV. When the crowd did their 'O' chant, I couldn't help but feel a sense of disrespect. I never really felt that way when I was a student in the crowd, but seeing it on TV gave a different perspective, and I really felt like the crowd should honor our country and our flag (not to mention the person singing) by not interrupting.

I'm sure this issue has been debated plenty of times in the past, but I felt obliged to bring it up again given the somber nature before the game and the oppportunity to have our fans' behavior shown on TV.
    surprising comment from someone named "Urinal Cake"

I forgot about that but since someone brought it up let us discuss.

I've never seen that before and I'm inclined to not wanting to see it again. I like the creativeness of the Crazies but some things don't need to be treading upon formal portions of the game. There are limits and I think the national anthem "oh!" crosses one. Like underwear guy, it just takes something a little too far.

For what it's worth, I agree with you. I remember liking it when I was a student, but it came across badly over the air. Maybe it had more to do with the somber moment, but I thought it was in poor taste.

Quote Originally Posted by mannem View Post
    Hey, urinal cakes provide a much needed service and deserve your respect. We'd all be worse off if we didn't have them.

speedo guy

Yeah, I forgot about the speedo guy... they showed the replay of him a couple times and even had Erin Andrews talking about him. Seeing a guy half-naked and pointing at his crotch while he thrusts it forward is not the kind of image we need to be portraying.

Yeah, I forgot about the speedo guy... they showed the replay of him a couple times and even had Erin Andrews talking about him. Seeing a guy half-naked and pointing at his crotch while he thrusts it forward is not the kind of image we need to be portraying.
    No, no, no. He doesn't get that distinguished moniker. That guy on Saturday night is underwear guy. Speedo guy was an original. Accept no imitators.

Agreed...

The original Speedo Guy was funny, but the guy Sat. night was disrespectful. He did the "suck it" sign to millions of people and gave the Crazies a bad rap on that one. I also agree with the "O" chant being disrespectful. If it is disrespectful to talk,laugh, on a cell phone, etc. while the national anthem is going on it is disrespectful to cheer during it as well. I was with a group of people during the game and we all agreed that chant should go.

Quote Originally Posted by CMS2478 View Post
    The original Speedo Guy was funny, but the guy Sat. night was disrespectful. He did the "suck it" sign to millions of people and gave the Crazies a bad rap on that one. I also agree with the "O" chant being disrespectful. If it is disrespectful to talk,laugh, on a cell phone, etc. while the national anthem is going on it is disrespectful to cheer during it as well. I was with a group of people during the game and we all agreed that chant should go.
    The "dance" was way over the top and had no place at the game. Another self aggrandizement effort. As to the "Oh", many have objected to it from the first instance of it happening. It is out of place, disrespectful to the nation and the performer. IMO it should not be done again.

Same thought crossed my mind while watching the anthem. Do not care for it really. I do not think I've ever heard K say anything on it. If that is correct I'd be a bit surprised on that considering his background.

Thumbs down The submoronic "O" in during the National anthem

I hate it! I hate it! I hate it!

Now here's the scoop.

During the 1983 baseball season (yes, 25 years ago), the Baltimore Orioles made a strong and improbable run to win the pennant and the World Series. My kids and I were fortunate enough to attend the two World Series games in Baltimore.

There was a section in the upper deck of old Memorial Stadium with a rowdy group of fans. Their leader was a beer-drinking cabdriver with the moniker of Wild Bill Hagy (since deceased). During the 7th inning stretch, for example, he would lead the spelling out of "O-R-I-O-L-E-S," contorting his corpulent body into each letter.

He began the practice of cheering "O" during the national Anthem.

For the legendary Wild Bill Hagy and his friends, it was stupid but cute.

The practice caught on in the local high schools in Washington and Baltimore, where it was a seriously retarded practice. I mean, none of these teams were known as the O's.

From there, it migrated to Duke (my daughter swears she had nothing to do with it). At Duke, it is truly sub-moronic. I mean, how many Baltimore Orioles fans are there in Cameron? And if not a cheer for the Orioles, what exactly does it mean? And why is it appropriate?

It is also disrespectful. And did I mention that I hate it?

sagegrouse

"O" has got to go

It is asinine and should be stopped. Period.

When the crowd did their 'O' chant, I couldn't help but feel a sense of disrespect. I never really felt that way when I was a student in the crowd, but seeing it on TV gave a different perspective, and I really felt like the crowd should honor our country and our flag (not to mention the person singing) by not interrupting.

No one loves Duke, the Crazies, or Cameron more than I, but I am compelled to agree strongly with this opinion. As a Duke alumnus (and one who has devoted countless hours to serving the University in many leadership positions) and as a retired career Naval officer, I have always found "the O" to be somewhat disrespectful. It is not clever and not particularly student body-unifying, but it trivializes of something important, which should always be treated with respect, dignity, and solemnity: our flag and National Anthem.

I have discussed this with many Duke undergraduates during the last decade; unsurprisingly, none of them intends his actions to reflect contempt. However, none has ever served this nation, had friends in the military, or lost loved ones in combat.

America is currently at war (regardless of its appropriateness). How do you think a working-class parent feels about Duke's "O" when their child has been killed (or horrifically wounded) in Southwest Asia? How about a veteran recently returned from a lengthy combat deployment or even a wage-earner attempting to remain solvent in today’s economy?

Aren’t we quite naturally PERCEIVED as a group of affluent, elitist, academic dilatants -- virtually all of whom eschew national or military service -- that seems to disrespect the flag and the National Anthem? I know a comprehensive review of the facts does not support this view (for example, Teach for America is Duke’s top undergraduate first-employer). Nevertheless opinions are crucial (regardless of their validity), as documented by the wholly unwarranted community and media firestorm, that immediately followed lacrosse rape allegations, in March and April 2006.

I do not suggest that the “O” is a highly consequential; however, Duke -- specifically including our students and alumni -- is continuously challenged with the image of being too smart, too privileged, too influential, too fortunate, and too far from the mainstream. The "O" only exacerbates these widely-held (inaccurate) sentiments.

The only place I've heard the "Oh" is at Duke and Orioles games, and I can't stand it.

--NatsFan

Seriously, I agree the other posters that it has no place during the singing of our National Anthem anywhere at any time. On Sat. night it was disrespectful of the anthem and of the moment.

deal or no deal?

OK, I say the Crazies stop doing the "O" if he agrees to change his handle to "Urinal Mint".

Quote Originally Posted by SMO View Post
    OK, I say the Crazies stop doing the "O" if he agrees to change his handle to "Urinal Mint".
    I seem to remember urinal cakes with Dean's image on it back in the mid-80's. Anyone else remember that, or was that just a dream?

Sorry, but THAT's funny and deserves a virtual "high-five."

-EJ

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I hate it! I hate it! I hate it!

Now here's the scoop.

There was a section in the upper deck of old Memorial Stadium with a rowdy group of fans. Their leader was a beer-drinking cabdriver with the moniker of Wild Bill Hagy (since deceased). During the 7th inning stretch, for example, he would lead the spelling out of "O-R-I-O-L-E-S," contorting his corpulent body into each letter.

He began the practice of cheering "O" during the national Anthem.

For the legendary Wild Bill Hagy and his friends, it was stupid but cute.

It is also disrespectful. And did I mention that I hate it?

sagegrouse
    Wild Bill was a good friend of mine, but I never knew him as the Orioles fan. He never made a big deal that he was actually famous for being who he was. It wasn't until after his death last year, that I found out the "Oh" chant was his fault. I had always assumed it was a goofy thing the Crazies had come up with. It makes a lot more sense in Baltimore than it does in Cameron, and even though I think of Bill every time I hear it, I wouldn't mind it going away either.
    P.S. This is Bill in his section 34 heydey.

speedo guy/underwear guy

About the O, I liked it in Cameron...something about it works when you're in the student section, but it really looked bad on TV. At the very least should have been taken out for that day.

Speedo guy was epic. It wasn't meant to be vulgar or rude...it was an interprative dance. the way he "blooms' up from the crowd (his word) really just made it awesome. That will be a cameron legend for a long time to come.

Underwear guy was just...ugh. He just jumped up and pointed at his crotch. It wasn't funny, it was just rude and vulgar, and that's easy to tune out. A tall, kinda pasty, bearded divinity student in a blue speedo doing jazz hands is just something you can't block out.

ever.

no matter how hard you try or how much therapy you get. *sob*
    Duke '03
    Tent 1 '99/'00

They also do the "O" at the nascar race in Dover
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilBaby View Post
    The only place I've heard the "Oh" is at Duke and Orioles games, and I can't stand it.

--NatsFan

Seriously, I agree the other posters that it has no place during the singing of our National Anthem anywhere at any time. On Sat. night it was disrespectful of the anthem and of the moment.