Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill

Tobacco Road Race

As I watched some of the endless hype, I do think it's still going on, I heard the phrase '8 miles' or '8 miles down Tobacco Road' mentioned, maybe even more than once. It did give me an idea, that and all the endless running I've been doing lately. Why not have a Tobacco Road Race on Duke-Carolina game day? Run from one campus to the other, perhaps alternate it to end at the campus with the home game that year. Wouldn't this be fun? We could probably raise some money for a good cause too. (I think it should be for the last game of the season, not the first meeting.)

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    As I watched some of the endless hype, I do think it's still going on, I heard the phrase '8 miles' or '8 miles down Tobacco Road' mentioned, maybe even more than once. It did give me an idea, that and all the endless running I've been doing lately. Why not have a Tobacco Road Race on Duke-Carolina game day? Run from one campus to the other, perhaps alternate it to end at the campus with the home game that year. Wouldn't this be fun? We could probably raise some money for a good cause too. (I think it should be for the last game of the season, not the first meeting.)
    That is actually a really good idea. I don't know who would have to be contacted to set up the logistics, and I assume you couldnt just shut down 15-501, but if there were some way to make that work (maybe down old 15-501?) it would be a heckuva lot of fun!!!

Agreed, quite an interesting idea...

Good ... but ...

Weather and Spring Break might be a couple of problems. And depending on the year, what would happen to tenting and maintaining your place on line?But an interesting idea nonetheless.
    Cheers,
    Lavabe

do they still run the football between the schools the day of the football matchup or am i imagining that that used to occur?

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Weather and Spring Break might be a couple of problems. And depending on the year, what would happen to tenting and maintaining your place on line?But an interesting idea nonetheless.
    Cheers,
    Lavabe
    IIRC day of the game nobody waits in line. You do your personal checks the night before and get your wristband game day morning. Now - sleep might be more important to the students than running the race, but thats a different kettle of fish.

I would see this race as a chance to involve the entire triangle community - not just the students of the respective schools.

Quote Originally Posted by steven52682 View Post
    I would see this race as a chance to involve the entire triangle community - not just the students of the respective schools.
    Yes, I don't know of too many undergrads in my days there that would undertake an 8 mile run...