Thread: Future NBA

Future NBA

I was listening to Colin Cowherd on ESPN Radio the other day and he was talking about the quality of players in the NBA right now. Basically, his point was that there are tons of great players in the NBA today. He went on to say that he considers Chris Bosh, Dwight Howard, Chris Paul, & Deron Williams to be future hall of famers. Personally, I think that all of these individuals have the potential to become those players, but Cowherd seemed pretty convinced that these guys will go down as some of the best ever.

The subject made me wonder...Which younger players in the NBA look like they will be HOF players? There are some veterans that are given (Kobe Bryant, SHAQ, Tim Duncan), but which young players really stick out to you?

Quote Originally Posted by ugadevil View Post

The subject made me wonder...Which younger players in the NBA look like they will be HOF players? There are some veterans that are given (Kobe Bryant, SHAQ, Tim Duncan), but which young players really stick out to you?
    You mean besides Grant Hill, Elton Brand, Carlos Boozer, Mike Dunleavy, JJ Redick, Luol Deng and Shelden Williams?
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Bosh will not be a HOF, imho.

Deron Williams and Chris Paul both stick out as potential HOFers.

I like Al Horford and Durant as well. Horford is a rebounding machine and is underrated offensively, so if he can continue to develop and polish his offense he could be a 20/10 guy.

Speaking of ATL, Josh Smith sticks out to me, but has issues he needs to work out if he wants to reach the next level.

I like Al thornton's game as well though he is stuck on the Hawks of the west (the clippers).

(there's guys like Wade and Lebron, but I assume you meant younger than that...)

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    Bosh will not be a HOF, imho.
    I agree about Bosh. Right now, I think Bosh has had to deal with a lot of nagging injuries that have affected his seasons. Also, I think he's hurt by playing in a smaller market on a team who is not expected to really compete for championships.

I like Al Horford and Durant as well. Horford is a rebounding machine and is underrated offensively, so if he can continue to develop and polish his offense he could be a 20/10 guy.
    Horford is an interesting one that I wouldn't have thought of. What about someone like Al Jefferson? Is he legit, or an example of a good player on a team where the points have to come from somewhere? I'd ask the same question about Kevin Martin in Sacramento?

As for post players, I'd definitely agree with Cowherd's assessment with Dwight Howard. He is a man-child.

Speaking of ATL, Josh Smith sticks out to me, but has issues he needs to work out if he wants to reach the next level.
    Josh Smith reminds me some of Rudy Gay. When their heads are in the game, they are nearly impossible to guard. However, it's a question of effort and attitude.

A couple other names I'd throw out there that I'd be interested in everyone's thoughts on...Brandon Roy & Josh Howard.

future hall members

Will be hall of famers:
    Lebron
    D-Wade

Need to maintain their current level of play for several years:

Carmelo Anthony
    Carlos Boozer
    Dwight Howard
    Amare Stoudemire
    Chris Paul
    Deron Williams

Need to improve their quality of play, but have the potential to do so:

Kevin Durant
    Al Horford
    Andrew Bynum
    Josh Howard

I agree about Bosh. Right now, I think Bosh has had to deal with a lot of nagging injuries that have affected his seasons. Also, I think he's hurt by playing in a smaller market on a team who is not expected to really compete for championships.

Horford is an interesting one that I wouldn't have thought of. What about someone like Al Jefferson? Is he legit, or an example of a good player on a team where the points have to come from somewhere? I'd ask the same question about Kevin Martin in Sacramento?

As for post players, I'd definitely agree with Cowherd's assessment with Dwight Howard. He is a man-child.

Josh Smith reminds me some of Rudy Gay. When their heads are in the game, they are nearly impossible to guard. However, it's a question of effort and attitude.

A couple other names I'd throw out there that I'd be interested in everyone's thoughts on...Brandon Roy & Josh Howard.
    Didn't think of Al Jefferson (and he's on my fantasy team!). He's the real deal and he's super young, so yes he has to go on that list. Kevin Martin is good but on a good team he's a 6th man or a starting role player, methinks.

D. Howard is ridiculous. Ridonkulous, actually.

LOVE the smith/gay comparison. They even have similar body types and games.

Brandon Roy has the potential and I like him a lot...I like josh howard a lot too, but I think he's peaking right now and if this is his peak, then no, he's not anywhere close to a HOF.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    Didn't think of Al Jefferson (and he's on my fantasy team!). He's the real deal and he's super young, so yes he has to go on that list.
    I also thought of Big Al because he's on my fantasy team. He's been a very solid contributor all year.

LOVE the smith/gay comparison. They even have similar body types and games.
    I think Smith and Gay are actually about to hit crucial points in their careers, even though they're both young. Will Smith decide to stay in Atlanta and maybe they will continue to get better? Will Gay be able to succeed with the young talent that will be around him in Memphis, as it clearly looks like the Grizz are working towards the future.

I could not agree more about Brandon Roy. He has as good a chance as any young player in the league today of making the hall. The one trait that Roy shares with the great ones in NBA history is that he doesn't simply go out and get his share of points, instead he creates points and opportunities for other players. 20 points and 6 assists from the SG position is something you can build a team around.

To sum it up: when the Blazers give the ball to Roy somebody on the team is going to get a good shot.

I also thought of Big Al because he's on my fantasy team. He's been a very solid contributor all year.
    That's because defense doesn't really matter for fantasy (outside of blocks/steals)

d. wade

I don't recall where I heard the discussion, but they were saying that Wade could turn out to be the next Penny Hardaway with all of the injuries he has had. I sure hope that is not true. I wouldn't wish that sort of downward spiral on anybody.

If I had to predict which current young players would make the HOF (in order of likelihood):

1. Lebron
    2. Howard
    3. Wade - injuries are the only worrying factor
    4. Paul - having one of the best seasons by a PG in a long time
    5. Amare
    6. Carmelo - don't love his game, but will pile up plenty of points which voters won't ignore
    7. Jefferson

Solid chance, but outside looking in:

Deron Williams
    Bosh
    Boozer

Bynum is an interesting thought who could be put in the above group just based on age and potential. I don't think Roy, Josh Smith, or Gay have much of a chance. And I don't think Horford and Thornton have any chance.

Brandon Roy is starting off his career pretty well, and if he teams up with a healthy Greg Oden they could run the west for awhile and have very good careers.

How about Oden?

Greg Oden anyone? OK, well it's a stretch to include a guy who hasn't played a game in the NBA. Consindering he's already lost a year to an injury, he's even more of a question mark.

How old is Lebron James? 23? How old are Chris Paul and Deron Williams? I don't think that it's worth talking about these guys as HOF players yet. How about "Who will win the most NBA titles?" I would go with Dwight Howard for 4. And Bradon Roy is a winner, too. I say he gets at least 2.

Time flies like an arrow
    Fruit flies like a banana

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    How old is Lebron James? 23? How old are Chris Paul and Deron Williams? I don't think that it's worth talking about these guys as HOF players yet.
    I can't speak to Paul or Williams, but for Lebron James not to make the hall of fame would require a staggering collapse unprecedented in the world of sports. He's one of the two or three best players in the entire league, arguably THE best, and has been so for the last three years. He singlehandedly led an otherwise terrible team to the finals. He's beginning to show a first rate killer instinct in even the most meaningless regular season games.

And he's only 23. Twenty. Three.

If Bron isn't a HOF lock, I don't know what one looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Greg Oden anyone? OK, well it's a stretch to include a guy who hasn't played a game in the NBA. Consindering he's already lost a year to an injury, he's even more of a question mark.
    Oden?! Don't you know the Blazers only drafted him because of his friendship with Josh McRoberts? They're just trying to keep Josh happy.

How old are Chris Paul and Deron Williams? I don't think that it's worth talking about these guys as HOF players yet.
    That's fine and you can have that opinion, but that was sort of the original point of the thread. No one knows if these guys will end up being HOF'ers, but it's fun to talk about why some of us think they will and some of us think they won't.

Quote Originally Posted by Clipsfan View Post
    That's because defense doesn't really matter for fantasy (outside of blocks/steals)
    I was under the impression that defense doesn't really matter for the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by crote View Post
    I can't speak to Paul or Williams, but for Lebron James not to make the hall of fame would require a staggering collapse unprecedented in the world of sports. He's one of the two or three best players in the entire league, arguably THE best, and has been so for the last three years. He singlehandedly led an otherwise terrible team to the finals. He's beginning to show a first rate killer instinct in even the most meaningless regular season games.

And he's only 23. Twenty. Three.

If Bron isn't a HOF lock, I don't know what one looks like.
    Completely agreed about LeBron. I didn't mention him because it seems like it's a formality for him, barring any unexpected injury. He's on a crash course break multiple records. Every time he goes out, he becomes the youngest player to do something new. Last night, youngest player to drop 50 on the Knicks and then hang out with Jay-Z.