Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Good riddance '06-'07

Purge and move on. Next play.

Who else is looking forward to Maui in November?

Seriously, harping about this season's struggles is only going to give you heartburn. Chalk this one up to a tough season and let's talk about next year.

P.S. I STILL LOVE YA, DUKE!!
    Last edited by muggee; 03-15-2007 at 09:55 PM. Reason: typo

I agree totally.

Sad/annoyed/pissed/frustrated as I am that we lost, I'm equally, if not more, relieved to know that this season has come to a close, and (hopefully) with it, our struggles. We were never going to go on a miracle run, anyway, so maybe this is for the best. At least we know that next year's team will be uber-motivated.

I'm going to have to wallow in it for another day or so, and then I'm with you . . . although I'm not sure I see our situation as all that much better next year. Maybe if I subscribed more to the "youth" theory, but I don't, as much as others seem to.

Singler looks like a serious scoring machine, but if our problem is defense and turnovers . . .

Yep. We have now been put out of our misery. What a hard, long, painful season.

As for Maui- I am looking forward to it. I will be there in Hawaii, just have to secure some tickets now for the games.

Thumbs down How many days...

until Oct. 15. Someone else can count it up.

Amazing how free my March just became. I have nothing on my schedule now.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

It may not get much better next year... but let's HOPE

I am afraid next year we will have problems at the center/PF spot. I really think Josh is NBA-Bound. I can't say I blame him. I don't claim to know what really goes on behind closed doors, but this team did not seem cohesive AT ALL. The lack of communication (and those darn free throws) was their downfall, even when they recognized the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Ozzie,

We must all now unite in spirit against the dark ones of Chapel Hill. There is still work left to do.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    until Oct. 15. Someone else can count it up.

The Duke women are going to win the championship, Ozzie. Think of the irony of them winning it all in a year the men go in the first round.

I feel as if I went to an elementary school band concert and had to sit
    through 4 months of music that started out okay, but became mostly off-key and made me cringe at times as I began to squirm uncomfortably in my seat. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm a little relieved that we can finally leave.

Stray ~~~;~~;~

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    through 4 months of music that started out okay, but became mostly off-key and made me cringe at times as I began to squirm uncomfortably in my seat. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm a little relieved that we can finally leave.
    Very fitting analogy, Stray.

Now that this is over, can Watzone share whether the Feinstein insinuations about McBob allegedly being told don't let the door hit you on the way out have any merit?

Is it really let's wait for 2008-09?

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post

Stray ~~~;~~;~
    Can I just say, "AMEN!"

Now that the concert is over I really am going to bed.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta Duke View Post
    Now that this is over, can Watzone share whether the Feinstein insinuations about McBob allegedly being told don't let the door hit you on the way out have any merit?

Is it really let's wait for 2008-09?
    Who said that to McRoberts?

Quote Originally Posted by dukeisawesome View Post
    Who said that to McRoberts?
    From Saturday's WaPo:

McRoberts puts up nice numbers but appears to believe that playing college basketball is beneath him at times. He's about as ready for the NBA as he is for Broadway, but he may very well depart after the season. If you believe what people close to the Duke program are saying, few tears will be shed in the locker room if that occurs.

Unhappy

*sigh*

This was the worst season I've seen as a Duke fan. Admittedly I haven't been around for 40 years, but...

Swept by Carolina.
    Out of the top 25 for the first time in years.
    First round of the ACC tournament.
    First round of the NCAA tournament.
    Not a single player who really stepped up to what I had expected of them (realistic or not.)
    Players who seemed like they should play who didn't.
    Players who played 38 minutes a game and were then exhausted when the tournament came.
    No "signature" win or game where I really felt we played that well.
    Swept by Maryland.
    The whole Lacrosse thing.
    All the Paulus/GHenderson/doesn't Duke suck/we hate Duke and are glad they suck talk.
    Completely lost our Duke mojo.

I take nothing from this season as a positive.

I hope next year is better and that this year pays off then, although I am not holding my breath, as the lack of a center when McBob leaves and Zoubek cannot play could really kill us.

Terrible year.

Hard to disagree, Ash! I had us 8-8 in the conference, going out in the conference semis, and winning at least one game in the dance. Sadly, they failed to meet even that scaled-back expectation.

Of course the sun will shine tomorrow, or soon . . .

Beware the Ides of March.

This if from the lead story in tomorrow's New York Times sports pages. It says it all:

"For the first time since 1996, the second round of the N.C.A.A. tournament will not include Duke. With the score tied at 77-77, and a little more than 10 seconds to play, Maynor calmly dribbled down the floor. He made a pull-up jumper from the free-throw line with 1.8 seconds to play that gave Virginia Commonwealth a 79-77 victory in the opening round of the West Region.

Duke called timeout after Maynor’s shot, but there would be no Duke miracle Thursday night at HSBC Arena. The ball was inbounded to Greg Paulus, who launched a desperation shot from just beyond midcourt that was well off target at the buzzer. Virginia Commonwealth’s players danced and hugged on the court while Paulus slumped to the floor in despair and Duke fans watched in stunned disbelief."

What a nightmare this year turned out to be.

Word up, Ash

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    *sigh*

This was the worst season I've seen as a Duke fan. Admittedly I haven't been around for 40 years, but...

Swept by Carolina.
    Out of the top 25 for the first time in years.
    First round of the ACC tournament.
    First round of the NCAA tournament.
    Not a single player who really stepped up to what I had expected of them (realistic or not.)
    Players who seemed like they should play who didn't.
    Players who played 38 minutes a game and were then exhausted when the tournament came.
    No "signature" win or game where I really felt we played that well.
    Swept by Maryland.
    The whole Lacrosse thing.
    All the Paulus/GHenderson/doesn't Duke suck/we hate Duke and are glad they suck talk.
    Completely lost our Duke mojo.

I take nothing from this season as a positive.

I hope next year is better and that this year pays off then, although I am not holding my breath, as the lack of a center when McBob leaves and Zoubek cannot play could really kill us.

Terrible year.
    Ash just said it all...he hit the nail on the head...the only place I disagree is that for a sophomore playing with little support, Paulus ended the year well and showed some BALLS. Whatever...these guys played hard, they just couldn't get out of their own way.

That God that's over. I'm not sure I could have taken much more. Glad to see GP end the season like he did after so much criticism. He's a warrior.

It's all about the guards

This is the second "down period" I've seen in the K period, and it shares something in common with the first ('95-'97). Our D requires, at a minimum, having a PG that can apply defensive pressure on the ball, and stay in front of his man. Exceptional Duke teams also have wing players that can create steals by stepping into passing lanes off the ball. In the mid '90's, and again now, we don't have that kind of point guard. And then, as now, we don't have that kind of 2-guard. There's definitely some Jeff Capel-Paulus parallels, as well as Chris Collins-Scheyer parallels. Hopefuly Paulus' grit will help him persevere, where the negativity absolutely shot Capel's confidence and Duke career.

While Greg Paulus is a very good player, and a talented offensive player, the fact is that he's a poor on-the-ball defender. While that wouldn't be as big a problem if he were playing for Syracuse, it's an absolute killer in K's defense.

After tonight's game we need to look forward to next year. How do we improve? Well, K's not going to change his defense to adjust to personnel, so I hope he'll adjust his personnel to match his defense. Scheyer needs to be coming off the bench, as someone who can stretch the D and provide some instant offense. Henderson and Nelso need to get the minutes at the 2and 3. That combination off the ball will start creating more defensive pressure. Hopefully Paulus will be better conditioned and quicker with another summer of PT under his belt. There's no cavalry coming at the point position, and if Paulus doesn't become a great defender, we're going to be a good-but-not-great squad until a new PG takes the reigns.