Coach K Show Complaint thread

We've had discussions here about this year's format for the Duke BBall/Coach K show throughout the year, and overall, it has been interesting and mostly about Duke basketball, although not a weekly highlight show, and that's OK. Last week's show about Duke's point guards through the years was really good. But today's show was all about Coach K's involvement with the USA national team. Not one mention about this week's games. Not one word about next week's games. This would have been fine during the loooonngg holiday break when the players were at home and no games were being played, but I think it was most inappropriate for this point in the season.
    I watch this show to see more, learn more, understand more about Duke basketball. Our team, our players, our coaches. Our highlights and even lowlights. I found today's show a big disappointment and a waste of my time. Someone please tell the show producers to get back to basics.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

No kidding. It's the Coach K show, and they didn't feel the need to focus on win #800?

I think the show is well done, very professional, and the producer, Johnie Moore I think, does a really good job. The topics that are covered are, in large part, reminders of past Duke glory on the court, keepers that I'd like to save. My only problem is the lack of currency, but my wife doesn't like the format, at all. She wants it to go back to the old format where she can see game highlights, hear and see the players talking about the games, and see Coach K and the other coaches interacting with them.

My preference would be to keep the new visual format with some of the same new material, but include a segment that gets back to the weeks results, and what we face in upcoming games. Oh, yeah, do it in HD, also.

I'm glad someone started this thread. For some reason it makes me feel uncharitable to complain, but over all I don't care for the new format. I like some of the shows and topics fine, like there was one a while back that focused on the three freshmen, and the virtual tour of the new building was nice. But I too would rather see at least SOME recent/current game footage with commentary.

Also and this is a pet peeve of mine maybe - but what's with the relatively loud background music during all the interviews? The music adds nothing, is a distraction, and makes me feel like I am watching a bad Saturday Night Live parody of a soap opera or something.

It was much better in the old days when Matt Laurence would interview a$sclown grad students...

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Speaking of Matthew Laurence, did anyone else see him angrily gesture towards a player to come up the court during a discussion K was having with a ref? As if Matthew was an assistant coach? And then again, later in the 2nd half he clearly did some swearing (after a Duke miscue) as he removed his headphones going into another commercial.
    I think the job has gone to his head. No one looks to him for basketball coaching tips, his job is to report and enjoy his great seat. The nerve of that guy....

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Speaking of Matthew Laurence, did anyone else see him angrily gesture towards a player to come up the court during a discussion K was having with a ref? As if Matthew was an assistant coach? And then again, later in the 2nd half he clearly did some swearing (after a Duke miscue) as he removed his headphones going into another commercial.
    I think the job has gone to his head. No one looks to him for basketball coaching tips, his job is to report and enjoy his great seat. The nerve of that guy....
    I saw the gesturing on TV, but how do you know he was gesturing at a player?

I saw that! I thought he was going to jump up and grab Coach K if he couldn't get whoever's attention he was aiming for.

I'm not a fan of the show, but I'll continue to watch it. I'd prefer a weekly highlight show myself, but sometimes the stories are interesting and I find myself learning something.

I've always been a fan of weekly "highlight shows", Steve Spurrier's being one of my favorites.

In a lot of ways, I enjoy the new format, particularly when it focuses on themes relevent to this season. However, a couple of them, like today's and the one a few weeks ago about the new athletic and practice facility were BORING! The Team USA episode may have been more fitting as one of the last shows after the season ends (since thats K's next endeavor). Also, let me mention a matter of aesthetics. They used to have a sort of mellow electronic/trip hop background music during highlights at the beginning of this season. It has been dropped in favor of a very subdued classical piece more fitting for Masterpiece Theatre than a basketball show. I'm expecting to see K in a leather wingback chair and a pipe talking with James Lipton instead of Bob Harris. I know there is a certain amount of pretension and stuffiness that is typically associated with a private university such as Duke, but lets not exacerbate it.

I thought he was gesturing for someone to get him the feed because it seemed that as soon as he got whoever's attention he started talking right away into the microphone.

i agree , he was motioning to go on air, as soon as he stopped motioning he started speaking into the mic, not to a player

Quote Originally Posted by shereec View Post
    I thought he was gesturing for someone to get him the feed because it seemed that as soon as he got whoever's attention he started talking right away into the microphone.
    it was during the time k arqued who should be shooting foul shots for state, which he was right, opie shot the free throws instead of the player that was really fouled(name escapes me at the time)

The whole season has been poor, but today's showed stank

I've watched Inside Basketball with Duke's Coach K for a long, long, long time. Some of the bits that have been done on it have been a little hokey, but in all I've turned it off saying, "I love Duke Basketball and I love Coach K (and Bob Harris!)."

The show this year has been a tremendous disappointment. I raced home today to see it, even though I had set it to record, because I was sure it was going to focus on the 800th win...

So what do we get to see? Long interviews with Mike D’Antoni (a little of which I found interesting), shot after shot of LeBron James, a few pictures of Jim Boeheim, and 22 minutes of Coach K talking about USA basketball.

Now, I'm not sure I would have watched it had the topic been advertized. But I have been amazed at how Coach K's work with Team USA has modified some of his signature coaching moves.

But today, I was celebrating a really remarkable turning point in both Coach K's and Duke's careers--and they chose to put a 30 second sound bite on of John Roth announcing the win.

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO disappointed.

I hope there have been enough complaints that they will go to a format which spends at least half of each show on the week's games. I'm not against change, but people who love Duke basketball want to see Duke basketball on that show.

That said, GO DEVILS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    DukeDevilDeb

I've never felt that Matthew Laurence "fit in" with the rest of the show. To me, his segments always seem awkward and out of place with the rest of the show. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by merry View Post
    Also and this is a pet peeve of mine maybe - but what's with the relatively loud background music during all the interviews? The music adds nothing, is a distraction, and makes me feel like I am watching a bad Saturday Night Live parody of a soap opera or something.
    Holy smokes! I can't believe someone else had the same thought I did on this one!

On the last episode I watched, they were discussing Zoubek's injuries. There were violins playing in the background, along with other "sad" music for effects.

It was almost comical. So Merry, I agree 100 percent!

-EJ

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    Holy smokes! I can't believe someone else had the same thought I did on this one!

On the last episode I watched, they were discussing Zoubek's injuries. There were violins playing in the background, along with other "sad" music for effects.

-EJ
    I couldn't agree more! I rarely watch the show, but turned it on to watch the 800 win show - major dissapointment. All I heard was "elevator" music and discussion about the Olympics. I don't get it??

Schedule for a different season

The current format for the program is more suitable for the off season when there are no college games.

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post

-EJ
    Whew, I feel better knowing several other people agree...I thought I was kind of being a jerk to mention it.

Also throaty, you jest, but my bet is the average fan would rather see something directly related to the games and the Cameron experience than some of what they choose to spend time on.

Canned?

I wonder if the whole series was pre-recorded and canned prior to the season in order that it not take time out of Coach's schedule. I agree that the production is really slick and Hollywoodish....not relevant to anything going on with the team's season. K is talking but not saying much. He's starting to sound like a broken record. Never thought I'd just as soon go wash my socks as sit there and listen to him drum on.

I used to be so proud of his show compared to Dean's. While Smith just recited the plays of the previous game with no value added, K always taught us something. Although my knowledge of the game is very limited, I haven't learned anything from the shows this year that I didn't already know.
    Love, Ima
    Last edited by Ima Facultiwyfe; 03-03-2008 at 04:55 PM. Reason: spelling