Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    This was the first close game CBS had all day long. They ran a graphic saying that every other game was decided by 10 points or more. I think they were just over-hyping VCU so ratings didn't get even worse. They wanted people to know a story was actually developing there, when there had not been one all day. Ratings ploy, it wouldn't have mattered if it were Duke or any other name program at that point.

Upset?

Quote Originally Posted by 4everTerping View Post
    This was the first close game CBS had all day long. They ran a graphic saying that every other game was decided by 10 points or more. I think they were just over-hyping VCU so ratings didn't get even worse. They wanted people to know a story was actually developing there, when there had not been one all day. Ratings ploy, it wouldn't have mattered if it were Duke or any other name program at that point.
    Interesting theory, possibly true. I know that ever since the instant the game ended announcer Kevin Harlan has been refering to it as "The Biggest Upset of the Day," as if most of America -- duke fans excluded -- didn't pick it in their brackets.

Even if it was anticipated, it is still, technically, an upset.

I do think that they were excited for the story of the cinderalla - I will look for the announcers to start the next round game with a slipper in hand.

Exiled
    I almost didn't write the slipper comment - last I saw Weber st was tied up. and hten Pitt went on a 20-something run.

"Experts"

The worst part of this loss, for me, was the fact that 11 of 14 "experts" on ESPN.com and CNNSi.com picked VCU over Duke. Clearly just a "trendy" pick, but the fact that they'll be hyping their accuracy for the next few days is sickening (especially since we had the game won).

I just don't see how they were so Pro-VCU...I thought it was the other way around. And the commentator at the end...speechless.

Announcers

Are always excited about an upset.