Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Most embarrassing thing in your life

Another response to DukemomLA.

What was the most embarrassing thing that ever happened to you? (Keep it as clean as possible...)

Winners will be announced!!!!!!!!!!!

a little bit of a side topic - but this website www.juicycampus.com is probably creating the most embarrassing moment for a lot of people.

For those not familiar - it is a website that is like a gossip page with anonymous posting for various campuses. If you take a minute and go over there you can see that it is just mercilessly vicious. Needless to say, college kids and anonymity and names are being names, sexual promiscuity of named students is being discussed, and what these kids dont seem to realize is that once its on the internet its there forever.

I posted a lot here and somehow became a moderator.

No seriously. My entire life is an accumulation behind a small, moving window of non-embarrassment that sometimes includes the last 30 days. That is, when I was 21, I was mortified at 20-me, and at 26 I hated 25-me, &c.

The problem is that sometimes the 30-day window even collapses in on me. Right now the main thing I have to hang on to is that I got the taxes done early. That's counterbalanced against all the soft deadlines for work that I'm in violation of.

Does anyone else have this moving 30-day window construct?

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    I posted a lot here and somehow became a moderator.

No seriously. My entire life is an accumulation behind a small, moving window of non-embarrassment that sometimes includes the last 30 days. That is, when I was 21, I was mortified at 20-me, and at 26 I hated 25-me, &c.

The problem is that sometimes the 30-day window even collapses in on me. Right now the main thing I have to hang on to is that I got the taxes done early. That's counterbalanced against all the soft deadlines for work that I'm in violation of.

Does anyone else have this moving 30-day window construct?
    Yes, but strangely mine also applies to you. I'm rather disgusted with Feb. 3 Throatybeard, but your performance this week has been serviceable.

Quote Originally Posted by steven52682 View Post
    a little bit of a side topic - but this website www.juicycampus.com is probably creating the most embarrassing moment for a lot of people.

For those not familiar - it is a website that is like a gossip page with anonymous posting for various campuses. If you take a minute and go over there you can see that it is just mercilessly vicious. Needless to say, college kids and anonymity and names are being names, sexual promiscuity of named students is being discussed, and what these kids dont seem to realize is that once its on the internet its there forever.
    Yeah, I saw an article about that site on CNN.com last week. I was rather embarassed to discover the creator is a Duke grad. Classy.

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    I am so gonna win this one. The only real competition is for number two.

O.k...here is one of mine

Many years ago when I was in the first grade, my teacher got it in her head that everyone should know how to "skip." After finding out that a few of us had not mastered skipping yet, she told us to go home and practice and she would test us on the following Monday. Well, I went home, received lessons from my big sisters, mother, father, etc. I practiced all around the yard and in the house. In fact, I felt reasonably good about it by the end of the weekend. I wasn't great, but I was "skipping."

Monday came round and we were all called one by one to demonstrate our new skill. When my name was called, I went to the front of the room, and proceeded to "slide" back and forth. My feet would not "skip." It was as if my feet were anchored to the floor. The class went crazy laughing. (And I think I even saw Mrs. Griffin laughing out of the corner of my eye.) I was never so embarrassed. To this day, I refuse to skip no matter how happy or carefree I feel. It brings back too many painful memories.

I have two more, but one of them is too embarrassing to relate even now!!

Quote Originally Posted by steven52682 View Post

I am horrified in so many ways right now. I feel genuinely depressed after browing through that site (I just searched 'Duke') for about 10 minutes.

Unmoderated Web 2.0 may be the beginning of the end for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
    I am horrified in so many ways right now. I feel genuinely depressed after browing through that site (I just searched 'Duke') for about 10 minutes.

Unmoderated Web 2.0 may be the beginning of the end for mankind.
    Not that this would make you feel any better, but it's a blatant rip-off of GroupHug. Actually, that's not much better, now it's plagiarism too

Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    Not that this would make you feel any better, but it's a blatant rip-off of GroupHug. Actually, that's not much better, now it's plagiarism too
    The biggest part that concerns me is people have no second thoughts about just using real people's names and talking about them in the open for anyone to read - then hiding behind the cloak of anonymity. I mean, it's obviously been happening for years (and we pretty much casually dismiss it if it's about celebrities), but this site actually brings communities of 'common' people together to talk about each other. And by 'talk' I mean say incredibly mean and vulgar things - which I would argue the site inherently endorses (a root of the problem).

Oh and I looked at the GroupHug site. Interesting idea - but it calls itself an experiment and due to the idiocy of people I would say it fails.

Most embarrassing thing in your life

Like I'm going to tell you guys? Not a chance!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by dukepsy1963 View Post
    Many years ago when I was in the first grade, my teacher got it in her head that everyone should know how to "skip." After finding out that a few of us had not mastered skipping yet, she told us to go home and practice and she would test us on the following Monday. Well, I went home, received lessons from my big sisters, mother, father, etc. I practiced all around the yard and in the house. In fact, I felt reasonably good about it by the end of the weekend. I wasn't great, but I was "skipping."

Monday came round and we were all called one by one to demonstrate our new skill. When my name was called, I went to the front of the room, and proceeded to "slide" back and forth. My feet would not "skip." It was as if my feet were anchored to the floor. The class went crazy laughing. (And I think I even saw Mrs. Griffin laughing out of the corner of my eye.) I was never so embarrassed. To this day, I refuse to skip no matter how happy or carefree I feel. It brings back too many painful memories.

I have two more, but one of them is too embarrassing to relate even now!!

This reminds me of the article in Sports Illustrated (early 90s) that informed readers about Christian Laettner's skipping habit when he was a child. That image, to me, EarlJam, is just hilarious.

-EarlJam

I impregnated a camel.

Just kidding. But seriously, my most embarrassing moment was probably getting a DUI in 1990 (I was 21). My God. The look in my dad's eyes at about 4:00 a.m. as I was bailed out of the city jail. I'll never forget that look. But this ultimately led to my proudest moment: getting my act together and going to college, graduating with honors. The latter likely wouldn't have happened if it weren't for the shame of the former.

-EarlJam

Quote Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
    The biggest part that concerns me is people have no second thoughts about just using real people's names and talking about them in the open for anyone to read - then hiding behind the cloak of anonymity.
    I agree. Free speech while remaining anonymous poses no risk for the speaker (or writer) but real risks for any sense of community. While I still sometimes write things and later regret my words or tone, my posting here has been much more civil since I decided to post under my real name.

Before anybody reacts to the above statement - I'm not implying that anyone here who posts under a screeen name does so in order to say horrible things without taking responsibility - folks overall do a good job of self-monitoring and we have great board mods. I'm only speaking for myself.
    Last edited by allenmurray; 02-26-2008 at 09:22 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    I impregnated a camel.

Just kidding. But seriously, my most embarrassing moment was probably getting a DUI in 1990 (I was 21). My God. The look in my dad's eyes at about 4:00 a.m. as I was bailed out of the city jail. I'll never forget that look. But this ultimately led to my proudest moment: getting my act together and going to college, graduating with honors. The latter likely wouldn't have happened if it weren't for the shame of the former.

-EarlJam
    This gets my vote.

At least you didn't turn around in the middle of the road with a road block in sight. Jeez, who does that?

The seventh grade dance!! God, it was awful. It was awful for all the usual reasons that seventh grade dances are awful, but my enduring memory is of how excruciatingly boring and awkward the entire thing was until the hometown DJ put on - ready for this?? (keep in mind that I am totally not kidding) - Vanilla Ice. That got the party crunk!

Despite the genius lent by Vanilla Ice, I still remember coming home and crying for hours. The Supreme Court really should pass some legislation outlawing "dances" involving Americans between the ages of 10 and 13!

I played varisty basketball in high school, and after one of our games, I was sitting up in the stands watching the boys game. I had on super-long wam-up pants that covered my shoes with about 5 inches to spare. I started to walk down the steps to get something to drink at half-time, and stepped on my pants. Not only did i pull them half-way down, but I fell and continued to roll down about 6 or 7 steps.

Awesome day.

I voted for W. That one hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I voted for W. That one hurt.
    How many times?

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    How many times?
    Once.

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice . . . um . . . er . . . we won't get fooled again." -- GWB

(I wrote in McCain in '04. Pulling for Obama in '08)