Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 54
  1. #1

    4 Games & 3 Games Left.

    Well people as usual it just seems like we're getting into the swing of the basketball season when suddenly there are two weeks left in the regular season. Duke has the following games....

    Wed. Feb 27th Georgia Tech @ home
    Sat. March 1st NCSU @ away
    Wed. March 5th UVA @ away
    Sat. March 8th UNC @ home / senior day for Demarcus Nelson

    UNC has only three games left, apparently they chose not to schedule an out of conference foe on their off rotation. For the heels with the injuries they have the decission looks great on their part....

    Sat. March 1st Boston College @ away
    Tues. March 4th FSU @ home / senior day for Woody Surry, maybe last home game for a couple others.
    Sat. March 8th Duke @ away

    Couldn't help but notice the heels have an extra day to prepare for Duke in addition to the rest they get this week. And it's also intresting to note that although Duke has the extra games both schools face teams in the bottom five of the conference. (Besides March 8th of course.) I think we had all hoped UNC would be really struggling without Lawson, but after their last two games I'm not so sure. He has been out much longer than anyone has expected, which makes me wonder if since they keep winning if they aren't letting him rest and get 100% for the ACC and NCAA tournaments.

    It looks like on paper both teams should win out until the March 8th clash. (Of course we didn't forsee Duke losing two straight last week either.) So the winner of the last Duke / UNC game should be the #1 seed in the ACC tourney. For UNC to be the #2 is important IMO because the #3 is likely to be Clemson. And after losing heartbreakers twice this year to the heels I'm pretty sure Oliver Purnell wants another go at UNC. Plus we all know it's difficult to beat any team three times in one season.

    So have at it. Predictions? Items of intrest? Potential pitfalls for both teams? Regardless of what happens the rest of the year I have to say I've been more proud of this team than any in recent memory. In a year when many thought UNC would go undefeated in conference play I think Coach K deserves COY honors hands down. But odds are the award will go elsewhere. Oh and of course Singler for ROY!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Inman, SC & Fort Myers, FL
    Good analysis, but you left out one award. Tyler baby should definitely get POY (psychotic of the year).

  3. #3

    Lol!

    Quote Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
    Good analysis, but you left out one award. Tyler baby should definitely get POY (psychotic of the year).
    Good one. As much as I'd like Nelson to win Player Of The Year in the ACC and / or nationaly it isn't going to happen and I think Tyler (as much as I loathe the guy) deserves it. And hey, maybe if he gets some award to hang his hat on he'll finally go pro. Hopefully without an NCAA title and take at least one guy with him!

  4. Quote Originally Posted by Latta6970 View Post
    So have at it. Predictions? Items of intrest? Potential pitfalls for both teams? Regardless of what happens the rest of the year I have to say I've been more proud of this team than any in recent memory. In a year when many thought UNC would go undefeated in conference play I think Coach K deserves COY honors hands down. But odds are the award will go elsewhere. Oh and of course Singler for ROY!
    At the hop of the season I decided we'd be better this year as opposed to last year simply because we were losing one player and gaining three. So, if nothing else we'd have increased depth. That proved to be true, and then some. And the spread offense has worked wonders in helping us to overcome our lack of size. However, if we play a team with legit size, particularly if the size is coupled with a quick backcourt, then we may meet our demise. But, that doesn't mean that we will. I think Duke is actually capable of beating anyone in the country as long as we play extrememly hard and play smartly.

    As for the next version of Duke/UNC: Duke wins - 93-91.
    Last edited by Jumbo; 02-25-2008 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Fixed quote tag

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
    Good analysis, but you left out one award. Tyler baby should definitely get POY (psychotic of the year).
    What is the point of that?

  6. Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    What is the point of that?
    Listers, I think Jumbo may be an undercover Baby Blue.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoDukeTattoos View Post
    Listers, I think Jumbo may be an undercover Baby Blue.
    You got me. If we could get through a thread without a Tyler Hansbrough reference, it would be really refreshing. And, you know, reasonably mature.

  8. Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    You got me. If we could get through a thread without a Tyler Hansbrough reference, it would be really refreshing. And, you know, reasonably mature.
    I could be wrong, but I think the point of the list isn't to make posts that we hope will be pleasing to everyone. Rather, I think the point of the list is for Duke fans to enjoy cameraderie among other Dukies and to be able to voice their thoughts and opinions (as long as they're flush with the rules, of course).

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoDukeTattoos View Post
    I could be wrong, but I think the point of the list isn't to make posts that we hope will be pleasing to everyone. Rather, I think the point of the list is for Duke fans to enjoy cameraderie among other Dukies and to be able to voice their thoughts and opinions (as long as they're flush with the rules, of course).
    The point of this board is to discuss Duke basketball. Obviously, part of that involves dealing with UNC. But the fact that basically every thread now has some lame attempt at humor with some stupid derivative of Hansbrough's name detracts from the overall IQ and quality that has made this site different over the years. If you want to play pin-the-name-on-Tyler all day, the Devils Den is perfect.

  10. Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    The point of this board is to discuss Duke basketball. Obviously, part of that involves dealing with UNC. But the fact that basically every thread now has some lame attempt at humor with some stupid derivative of Hansbrough's name detracts from the overall IQ and quality that has made this site different over the years. If you want to play pin-the-name-on-Tyler all day, the Devils Den is perfect.
    Again, I could be wrong, but I think the point of the list isn't to make posts that we hope will be pleasing to everyone.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoDukeTattoos View Post
    Again, I could be wrong, but I think the point of the list isn't to make posts that we hope will be pleasing to everyone.
    It's not a list. It's a community. And being part of this community includes recognizing when you are annoying other members.

  12. Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    It's not a list. It's a community. And being part of this community includes recognizing when you are annoying other members.
    So, rather than discuss it with them politely offline, you try your best to make them look like idiots publicly. Great etiquette.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoDukeTattoos View Post
    So, rather than discuss it with them politely offline, you try your best to make them look like idiots publicly. Great etiquette.
    Let me try this again. This board is quickly denigrating to something not unlike IC or TerpTown. More and more posts are simply lame attempts to make fun of players on other schools. The problem is pervasive; it does not apply to just one poster. So, a private message would do nothing. Weren't you just talking about people being able to express their feelings? Well, I'm expressing mine -- I don't like the turn this board has taken in the last two weeks. Understand?

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    It's not a list. It's a community. And being part of this community includes recognizing when you are annoying other members.
    It is not like this ins name slinging against Tyler. IIRC it is the nic-name his own team mates gave him. So substituting Psychotic for Player in POY hardly seems over the top (though in my opinion, not all that funny either). All in all, given the origin of the nic-mane it seem pretty harmless. Maybe one of those times when it would have been better to have not blown the proverbial whistle and just let the guys play on.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    It is not like this ins name slinging against Tyler. IIRC it is the nic-name his own team mates gave him. So substituting Psychotic for Player in POY hardly seems over the top (though in my opinion, not all that funny either). All in all, given the origin of the nic-mane it seem pretty harmless. Maybe one of those times when it would have been better to have not blown the proverbial whistle and just let the guys play on.
    The post, in isolation, wasn't particularly bad. It's not like we cited him for it. But it's part of a pattern of behavior that has been particularly bad in the last couple of weeks. People are a) posting just any random thing that comes to mind b) doing so without much thought and c) spending an inordinate amount of time talking about Hansbrough and UNC, usually with some infantile nickname thrown in. It's annoying and makes me want to stop participating here. Others have already left.

  16. Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    Let me try this again. This board is quickly denigrating to something not unlike IC or TerpTown. More and more posts are simply lame attempts to make fun of players on other schools. The problem is pervasive; it does not apply to just one poster. So, a private message would do nothing. Weren't you just talking about people being able to express their feelings? Well, I'm expressing mine -- I don't like the turn this board has taken in the last two weeks. Understand?
    So, rather than slam posters at random, how about create a single post, tactfully written, dedicated to improving the quality of the community? It will be much better taken that your currently brash methods and will ultimately help you to acheive your goals regarding the community. After all, isn't that what you really want?

  17. #17

    : (

    Wow. Call this thread sufficiently ruined.

  18. #18
    To TRY and get back on topic. . .

    I mentioned this in another thread. Everyone seems dead set on the winner between Duke/UNC getting the Charlotte Regional, when I think its quite possible that NEITHER team will get it. Memphis->Houston, and Tenn->Charlotte, or vice versa. The only way I see Duke or UNC getting Charlotte at this point is to win TWO games against the other. Duke would get it by sweeping UNC 3 times (an impressive feat). UNC would get it b/c they beat Duke twice (and b/c face it, they are UNC).

    I can't see either of those scenarios happening, I see Duke winning the season series 2-1 as far more likely.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoDukeTattoos View Post
    So, rather than slam posters at random, how about create a single post, tactfully written, dedicated to improving the quality of the community? It will be much better taken that your currently brash methods and will ultimately help you to acheive your goals regarding the community. After all, isn't that what you really want?
    There are nothing "random" about my responses. I've considered starting another thread, and still might. But I'm also going to try to call attention to the problem where it crops up.

  20. #20

    Talking

    I blame Latta69 for simply starting this thread.


    And I think you should, too.


    s.i.

Similar Threads

  1. 18 ACC games?
    By Bluedawg in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-13-2008, 02:18 PM
  2. The next four games
    By feldspar in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-07-2008, 03:17 PM
  3. After 7 games
    By DukieInBrasil in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 12-01-2007, 08:14 AM
  4. What do we know after 5 games???
    By DukeBrasil in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-27-2007, 12:21 AM
  5. Games in HD
    By 3211 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-20-2007, 01:21 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •