Hello, Playcaller!

As I drove to work this morning listening to 850 the Buzz (which frankly, isn't a bit pro-Duke), Adam Gold and Joe Ovies were discussing Tyler H's propensity for "getting away with "traveling." Apparently, he was called once yesterday for traveling when he didn't but wasn't called 4 times when he did (850's stats).

So I'm thinking about March 8, of course, and remembered that you said in your first column that you could explain two things that haven't been explained yet. One had to do with a technical that Markie got. But the other was about why Tyler didn't get called for traveling.

Given that March 8 draws closer and I would really like to take what you say and watch the game with that knowledge, how about doing the column on Tyler? I think all of us would find that interesting.

Go Devils!
    DukeDevilDeb

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDevilDeb View Post
    As I drove to work this morning listening to 850 the Buzz (which frankly, isn't a bit pro-Duke), Adam Gold and Joe Ovies were discussing Tyler H's propensity for "getting away with "traveling." Apparently, he was called once yesterday for traveling when he didn't but wasn't called 4 times when he did (850's stats).

So I'm thinking about March 8, of course, and remembered that you said in your first column that you could explain two things that haven't been explained yet. One had to do with a technical that Markie got. But the other was about why Tyler didn't get called for traveling.

Given that March 8 draws closer and I would really like to take what you say and watch the game with that knowledge, how about doing the column on Tyler? I think all of us would find that interesting.

Go Devils!
    I agree and am all ears!

I believe that's four games in a row now that he's been called for extra steps. Keep it up, Hanstravel. They are onto you now.

I surmise....

...that Hansallarms is so busy using the ball to wave around, knocking defenders down and clearing space like King Kong, that the refs are so busy watching that they can't watch his feet at the same time...bless their hearts.

Love, Ima

Hmm....

Quote Originally Posted by Ima Facultiwyfe View Post
    ...that Hansallarms is so busy using the ball to wave around, knocking defenders down and clearing space like King Kong, that the refs are so busy watching that they can't watch his feet at the same time...bless their hearts.

Love, Ima
    I have never thought about this....SO he creates a diversion by waving his arms all crazy-like. That is actually a very good observation. Not saying he does that intentionally but there is probably some truth to what you say.

Ellington Travel

Maybe the focus on Hansbrough is letting the other guys get away scot-free.

The key play of the UNC-Wake game was the 3-pt. shot by Ellington at the end of the first half, creating a nine-point margin that was too high for wake to counter.

As the TV showed (and the announcers agreed), he caught the ball in the left corner, took a bunny hop backwards, and launched the shot. It was right in front of Dino,... and he screamed bloody murder. He didn't get the call.

sagegrouse

That Ellington bunny hop brought about nearly instantaneous shouts in my mix-marriage household. I shouted out for the walk maybe a second behind my wife shouting for a foul.

Upon looking at the replay, I saw the bump she thought was a foul, and she saw the the bunny hop I thought was a travel. With just about every pair of eyes in the place focused on that spot, I'm still scratching my head on how the refs called neither.

Of course, we then argued a bit about rather the bump caused the travel, but she finally conceded that it could not have directly caused the travel, since there was separation between the bump and Ellington catching the ball. I allowed as how the bump might have created, indirectly, the travel by limiting the room Ellington had to operate. I didn't so much believe that, but it was plausible enough for me to give in for the sake of peace in the family.

So it goes during basketball season in a mixed marriage. We often don't watch Duke versus UNC games in the same room.

As for Hansbrough travelling. I still maintain that he doesn't travel as much as people claim he does, but that he does get away with more than many other players. He gets away with them for the same reason any number of great players get away with certain things. He has amazing footwork, and the ability to twist his way to the basket for that weird short shot of his. It has established in the minds of the refs that he is capable of those moves without travelling, so they are not as inclined to "see" travel even when he sometimes does.

Refs may deny it, but I still think they often develop preconceived notions of what certain players are capable of doing and that it affects how they call the game. For some players it's travelling, for other is taking charges, for others its making steals, or going over the back, or drawing fouls on jumpshots even out to the three point line (our own JJ was a magician with that one!).

He's constantly traveling, and he's constantly drawing "fouls". I don't understand it. I'd be scoring 28 points a game too, if I was shooting 26 free throws a game.

GTHC.

And carolina fans still say that Duke gets all the calls...

Quote Originally Posted by sandinmyshoes View Post

he does get away with more than many other players. He gets away with them for the same reason any number of great players get away with certain things. He has amazing footwork, and the ability to twist his way to the basket for that weird short shot of his. It has established in the minds of the refs that he is capable of those moves without travelling, so they are not as inclined to "see" travel even when he sometimes does.

Refs may deny it, but I still think they often develop preconceived notions of what certain players are capable of doing and that it affects how they call the game. For some players it's travelling, for other is taking charges, for others its making steals, or going over the back, or drawing fouls on jumpshots even out to the three point line (our own JJ was a magician with that one!).
    I was watching a Little League baseball game one time and an umpire who had finished for the day was standing next to me (there were multiple games going on at multiple fields). We were commenting on the highly skilled pitcher on the mound (a friend of mine's son, and a kid who may well be the best pitcher in his age group in the state). The umpire said, "man, he is proving it quickly". I asked him to explain what he meant. He said that "as soon as he "proves" he can catch the edge of the plate with the ball, and that it isn't just blind luck" the ump would give him a strike call on that pitch all day long, but he had to prove it first". It gave me real insight into how balls and strikes are called, even in Little League.

While i agrtee that Hansbrough seems to get away with a lot of walks, he does in fact have really good footwork. He may have "proved" that he can make those moves and now gets the benefit of the doubt.

I'm still wondering if the league will automatically review the WF game refs. The five starters fouling out should have attracted some attention.

Quote Originally Posted by dukeblue1215 View Post
    And carolina fans still say that Duke gets all the calls...
    A lot of people think that, not just Carolina fans.

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    While i agrtee that Hansbrough seems to get away with a lot of walks, he does in fact have really good footwork. He may have "proved" that he can make those moves and now gets the benefit of the doubt.
    Several times, after screaming at the TV "He travelled! He travelled!", I've looked at Hanstravel in slomo and have been surprised that he did not travel. I agree that he has good footwork, but a travel is a travel is a travel. He's good for one a game lately, so refs should call it when he does it.

Dear Playcaller:
    Keep it up! Very interesting insights.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDevilDeb View Post

Go Devils!
    I'm guessing that traveling will probably be discussed in the next column or two in the Hansbrough discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Maybe the focus on Hansbrough is letting the other guys get away scot-free.

The key play of the UNC-Wake game was the 3-pt. shot by Ellington at the end of the first half, creating a nine-point margin that was too high for wake to counter.

sagegrouse
    A nine-point margin was too high for Wake to counter - with an entire half left to play?? I don't agree at all, regardless of the opponent being UNC on its home court. A 9 point lead is just that, a 9 point lead. One that is far from insurmountable with 20 minutes left to play. Very interesting insight from The Playcaller today, however, and I look forward to reading more.

I dunno about you lot but I would take Hanstravel on our team any day of any season...

"I dunno about you lot but I would take Hanstravel on our team any day of any season..."

yeah, i would too, but then, he would probably get called for those travels.