Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SNL's Best Cast Member tourney

Who will get your vote??

http://redeye.chicagotribune.com/red...049603.special

Any thoughts on the Final Four??

I am thinking Phil Hartman, Will Ferrell, Chris Farley and Mike Myers, with Chris Farley taking it all, edging out Phil
    Last edited by knights68; 02-21-2008 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by knights68 View Post
    Who will get your vote??

http://redeye.chicagotribune.com/red...049603.special

Any thoughts on the Final Four??

I am thinking Phil Hartman, Will Ferrell, Chris Farley and Mike Myers, with Chris Farley taking it all, edging out Phil
    No old timers on your list?

A few months back we rented the first couple of seasons on DVD and watched them with our son...it's easy to forget just how brilliant Belushi was.

I would have voted for Nat X, but "The Man" refused to allow him in the poll.

My Final Four:
    Farley vs. Belushi: Winner = Farley
    Murray vs Ferrell: Winner = Murray
    (It's a Chicago newspaper so I'm guessing most of the voters will be from the area and vote for the home town boy)

Finals: Farley vs Murray
    Winner: Murray

Dark Horses: Murphy (over Ferrell) & Hartman (over Murray)

Norm all the way!!

I say Chris Farley, not even close.

Now I've got to pull up some old Chris Farley tapes and take a sentimental trip back to Lunch Lady Land.

I'll chime in for:

Hartman vs. Ferrell ---> Hartman
    Carvey vs. Myers ----> Carvey

Winner: Carvey but its close.

Looking at this, its a clear late 80's early 90's bias.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer View Post
    I'll chime in for:

Hartman vs. Ferrell ---> Hartman
    Carvey vs. Myers ----> Carvey

Winner: Carvey but its close.

Looking at this, its a clear late 80's early 90's bias.
    Yeah, i say Carvey over Hartman in a close contest. If we are just talking impact while a show member, you have to give it to Carvey. Anything else wouldn't be prudent at this juncture.

John Belushi and Dan Akroyd better make it far in this tournament.

There is a wealth of talent from that show, no question about it.

Hmmm, maybe in the off-season we will have our own poll for this. I could have each of you pick a cast member that you will champion and make a case for that person. This could be fun!

--Jason "under-appreciated after all these years: Gilda" Evans

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

I'm with you Jason but I suspect the age demographic of the voters will drive the results much like your favorite Duke basketball player poll.

Quote Originally Posted by 77devil View Post
    I'm with you Jason but I suspect the age demographic of the voters will drive the results much like your favorite Duke basketball player poll.
    The OT board skews older. That is my great hope.

Want a tough exercise? Figure out a Round of 16 for our tournament. If you really look at SNL history, you will find a stunning number of brilliant comedic minds.

--Jason "could you dare leave out Billy Crystal for being a short-timer on the show?" Evans

tough call

Phil Hartman could do just about anything, as could Will Farrell, Kevin Nealon, Jan Hooks, Dana Carvey, Cheri Oteri.

Among my fave skits: Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer (Hartman, I believe), Christmas greetings from Tonto, Tarzan, and Frankenstein (Jon Lovitz, Kevin Nealon, and Phil Hartman IIRC)
    Church Chat (anyone remember Sean Penn punching out Church Lady? Jan Hooks as Tammy Faye Bakker being interviewed by Church Lady?)
    Will Farrell's Dubya impersonation was the best. He had the slightly confused look down pat.

Somewhat limited in range but funny: Adam Sandler (Opera Man, Cajun Man), Dennis Miller (Weekend News Update, but what else?)

I'm sure there's someone I'm leaving out.

Quote Originally Posted by ArkieDukie View Post
    Phil Hartman could do just about anything, as could Will Farrell, Kevin Nealon, Jan Hooks, Dana Carvey, Cheri Oteri.

Among my fave skits: Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer (Hartman, I believe), Christmas greetings from Tonto, Tarzan, and Frankenstein (Jon Lovitz, Kevin Nealon, and Phil Hartman IIRC)
    Church Chat (anyone remember Sean Penn punching out Church Lady? Jan Hooks as Tammy Faye Bakker being interviewed by Church Lady?)
    Will Farrell's Dubya impersonation was the best. He had the slightly confused look down pat.

Somewhat limited in range but funny: Adam Sandler (Opera Man, Cajun Man), Dennis Miller (Weekend News Update, but what else?)

I'm sure there's someone I'm leaving out.
    You are right on all of your attributions above. Don't overlook Carvey's impressions of Bush, Sr and (especially) Ross Perot. Great stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    You are right on all of your attributions above. Don't overlook Carvey's impressions of Bush, Sr and (especially) Ross Perot. Great stuff.
    I think I had those listed originally and accidentally deleted. Remember the infamous debate where Carvey as Bush debated Carvey as Perot? He was absolutely hysterical.

On a related note, the episode where George H. W. Bush did the opening skit, impersonating Dana Carvey impersonating him, was pretty funny.

I think I had those listed originally and accidentally deleted. Remember the infamous debate where Carvey as Bush debated Carvey as Perot? He was absolutely hysterical.

On a related note, the episode where George H. W. Bush did the opening skit, impersonating Dana Carvey impersonating him, was pretty funny.
    Yeah, those were both awesome.

I also loved the one where Perot was throwing money around, paying to ride Farley like a horse.

Remember that time, when you did that thing? Yeah, that was awesome...

You said, the love you take is equal to the love you make... yeah, is that true?

speaking of famous SNL cameos

The Dr. Seuss tribute on Weekend News Update, with Jesse Jackson reading "Green Eggs and Ham," was pretty darn funny. It's easily in my top 10 list, fighting for the top spot with the previously mentioned Bush the Elder appearance.

I heard on the news tonight that The Huckster will make a guest appearance on SNL this weekend. You know, some people you can see being funny; some you can't. The Huckster is in the latter category. Maybe he'll prove me wrong.

Talking Little chocolate donuts

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

There is a wealth of talent from that show, no question about it.

Hmmm, maybe in the off-season we will have our own poll for this. I could have each of you pick a cast member that you will champion and make a case for that person. This could be fun!

I couldn't agree with you more. Gilda, John, & Dan... you cannot overstate the impact these folks had on Farley, Oteri, Shannon, and most everyone else on SNL.

Jane, you ignorant slut!

Cheers and ... NEVER MIND,
    Lavabe

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer View Post
    You said, the love you take is equal to the love you make... yeah, is that true?
    That's probably my favorite SNL line ever.

The Dr. Seuss tribute on Weekend News Update, with Jesse Jackson reading "Green Eggs and Ham," was pretty darn funny. It's easily in my top 10 list, fighting for the top spot with the previously mentioned Bush the Elder appearance.
    Stevie Wonder and Eddie Murphy were pretty rad.

I heard on the news tonight that The Huckster will make a guest appearance on SNL this weekend. You know, some people you can see being funny; some you can't. The Huckster is in the latter category. Maybe he'll prove me wrong.
    He's been surprisingly funny on Colbert.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    I couldn't agree with you more. Gilda, John, & Dan... you cannot overstate the impact these folks had on Farley, Oteri, Shannon, and most everyone else on SNL.

Jane, you ignorant slut!

Cheers and ... NEVER MIND,
    Lavabe
    These debates are usually generational, and it's hard for me to appreciate that group because they predated my existence by a few years. It's a mark of the success of that much-maligned franchise that it has stayed relevant (to at least some degree) for so long.