Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you do?

What do you do?

This might be crossing the line of revealing too much about yourself, but I'll give it a shot. I know we're all fans of Duke Basketball, but I was curious to find a little more about everyone. What kind of work are you? Who do you work for? What's your job? If retired, who'd you used to work for? I know we have lots of academics on this board, but I'm sure there's plenty of other professions.

As for me, this one isn't hard to figure out. I'm a Senior at the University of Georgia. I'll graduate in August (which will be a year early!!!!) with my degree in Communications.

Quote Originally Posted by ugadevil View Post
    This might be crossing the line of revealing too much about yourself, but I'll give it a shot. I know we're all fans of Duke Basketball, but I was curious to find a little more about everyone. What kind of work are you? Who do you work for? What's your job? If retired, who'd you used to work for? I know we have lots of academics on this board, but I'm sure there's plenty of other professions.

As for me, this one isn't hard to figure out. I'm a Senior at the University of Georgia. I'll graduate in August (which will be a year early!!!!) with my degree in Communications.
    Easy one. CPA, senior audit partner at Big 4 Accounting firm. Been there 30 years.

Employee benefits attorney at mid-size firm in DC. Been practicing for almost 13 years now. Long way from my International Affairs/French majors in undergrad, but my dad is, and my grandfather would be, proud (both tax attorneys).

Medical student at wake forest, though currently doing research at Johns Hopkins for 2 years
    Duke '03
    Tent 1 '99/'00

I'm a retired public school administrator. Most of the 30 years in public schools, I was a principal or assistant principal, but was also a risk manager and purchasing officer for the school system. The schools where I was assigned included elementary, middle and high schools. Perhaps the most amazing aspect is that I was able to work my entire career in the same school system in Durham. My second career has been as an independent contractor who plans luxury travel. That career is winding down and I'm spending more time in creative pursuits.

Little bit of this, and that

Starting out as a child...

Working my way through the menial jobs of custodian and groundskeeper, then teaching (first math, then PE, next science, history, journalism, English - in different years); radio announcer / newscaster; literacy worker (missionary) in the jungles of Papua New Guinea; Middle school principal, high school principal; production director / designer, Web site selling photographic montages; adjunct instructor, community college; data manager, college asseesment committees; all culminating in being the father of twin sons currently serving in the US Marine Corps. And what I do mostly is think about my life past, and hope that somehow what I have done influences the world for good.

less than 3 months away...

from getting my Ph.D. in Biomedical Engineering @ Duke

(fingers crossed)

For some reason, the start to MarineTwinsDad's post made me want to start with,

"I was born a poor, black child."

(Name the movie, win a prize!)

I'm a program manager for a large Redmond-based software company, working on an online service for small businesses. We just had a big release, so it's in the news a lot right now, including front page NYT.com coverage today.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    ..."I was born a poor, black child."

(Name the movie, win a prize!)
    The Jerk! What do I win?

I'm a PhD student in history at Emory University.

former consultant, now an MBA student at Georgetown.

I'm a mid-level corporate associate at a large law firm.

VP Technology at Gomez. I write software, talk to customers, and speak at conferences, though after spending much of last year doing the two latter, I get to spend several months returning to my first love, the former.

Waterloo, Ontario (unfortunately, no longer in London England).
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post

And I'm a PhD candidate (still loving being ABD!!!) in history at McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario. My major field is War & Society and I have minor fields in modern Britain and modern Europe. My dissertation examines British intelligence in Rhodesia, and possibly all of southern Africa, during the Cold War.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    The Jerk! What do I win?

History?? That's a broad category -- narrow it down!

(And send me a PM, we can arrange something. )

High School Student in Lancaster, PA.
    Varsity Football, Bowling, Track and Field. Rec Soccer.

Wash dishes at a local restaraunt for my current proffession.

Geez...I started the thread and didn't even answer all the questions about myself.

I'm an administrative assistant at the UGA Alumni Association. (Yes, we just take everyone's money)
    And I'm a basketball referee. (Yes, we rig every game and give one team all the calls.)

I'm a "stay-at-home" mom of two boys, ages 16 and 10. I rarely stay at home. I'm PTA President, a substitute teacher and I volunteer at the YMCA and at church.

I'm recently separated from my husband, and I'm moving back to North Carolina this summer. I must re-join the ranks of the gainfully employed. I just can't get by on support money and substitute teaching income in California. Therefore, I am hoping to work as an attorney in eastern North Carolina. I practiced law in North Carolina for 12 years before moving to California. Is anyone hiring?

I am a Product Manager for an insurance subsidiary of a large Fortune 50 firm. I set the rates and product features and deal with everything from the sales of our product to what our reps tell people on the phones. Occasionally(far too often actually), I deal with state regulatory departments.

I started off as an engineer for a small manufacturing company in NC. That line of work ultimately had me traveling to plants all over the Americas working on projects. One day I decided that was it and ended up at b-school with someone else who posts here quite a bit.

In the working world, I'm currently a Product Manager for a large privately owned NC-based software company.

Waterloo, Ontario (unfortunately, no longer in London England).

I'm an administrative assistant at the UGA Alumni Association. (Yes, we just take everyone's money)
    Do you have connections with other alumni associations? If so, can you contact mine and tell them that no, I cannot give them money right now? Geez, what part of "I'm still doing my PhD" do these people not understand? To make matters worse, all three of us who live in this house graduated from the same university so they call for all of us!!! But none of us gave them this phone number so we're pretty sure that our parents ratted us out...